Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy awning frame

mike
Dandy Owner

Dandy awning frame

Post by mike on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

There are not many pieces of frame to a dandy awning but if it is your first time this may help you to decide what goes where.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Re: Dandy awning frame

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:52 pm

maybe we can take a video of you putting your awning up at the next meet so that we can post it up here for everyone? add it to the demo of putting a dandy up too Smile what do you think?
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

Eilis wrote:maybe we can take a video of you putting your awning up at the next meet so that we can post it up here for everyone? add it to the demo of putting a dandy up too Smile what do you think?

Two problems with that my good looks would divert attention lol! and we have zip out sides so its different to erect and a lot easier.

mike
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

well ok if we have someone else's too and also put yours up to show how much easier it is with side zips Smile
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

Eilis wrote:well ok if we have someone else's too and also put yours up to show how much easier it is with side zips Smile

think thats a great idea Smile

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

I have inspected the awning frame of my discovery today (i havent looked at it since i bought it) to make sure it was complete.
And i found that the previous owner has extended the short apex tube to match the other apex tube (59in)
I havent looked at the awning yet to see if it has been altered in any way.
Or he might have used the dandy frame with a different awning.
Has anyone used a dandy frame with a different awning? i would be interested to know.Pete.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:43 pm

The problem we have with designers and discovery's is that one side is wider than the other from the centre of the Dandy roof and most awnings are equal on both sides, I have tried a caravan awning but the depth is greater so we then had to adapt the awning frame from the Dandy awning and caravan awning sort of merging them, for the smaller Dandy's it isn't as simple as with the 6 or destiny's. I suppose if you really want to find a way you will, ours just looked odd as it was a bit too big.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

If you got the awning cheap enough to experiment TVS lengthen or shorten awnings.
They will take material out at any point required.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

We also found the height of a Caravan awning is a lot more than our designer meaning lots of excess material on the floor at the front and the pegging points far too low down the awning to peg, the bottom of the awning did end up tucked right under along with part of the windows (we had patio doors Laughing ) meaning the zips were also difficult to use.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:04 pm

If the front of the frame has been widened, the frame will not be square unless the bracket has been moved that the pole goes into inside the dandy, will hopefully open the awning in the next few days and see if it fits the frame, i can always shorten the frame again. Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

I think that would be easier than trying to fit another type of awning believe me I have spent a lot of money and time over 9 years trying to sort out the perfect awning and I haven't found it yet.
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

does any one have the individual pole measurements ?

I know its a lot to ask but just thought someone may have already measured them.

cheers

Tom
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

I don't at the moment but now you mention it I will measure mine at the soonest opportunity and put them in an info thread as it depends on the size and model of your Dandy, Mike may have as he has a 6 like yours.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

fearful wizard wrote:I have inspected the awning frame of my discovery today (i havent looked at it since i bought it) to make sure it was complete.
And i found that the previous owner has extended the short apex tube to match the other apex tube (59in)
I havent looked at the awning yet to see if it has been altered in any way.
Or he might have used the dandy frame with a different awning.
Has anyone used a dandy frame with a different awning? i would be interested to know.Pete.

Pete

The tube lengths are the same as for the Discovery and Designer as the awning isn't the full width of the Destiny.
Or it wasn't. Not different on highside Destinys or Riva ones is it? Not an Acrylic awning is it?
59" long 57" short. L for Left=L for Long.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:59 am

naedoot wrote:does any one have the individual pole measurements ?

I know its a lot to ask but just thought someone may have already measured them.

cheers

Tom

Do you meen the front cross poles if so i can measure them for you,the thing is the 6 awning isnt full width very nearly but not quiet.
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:16 am

was looking for the measurements of all the poles for the awning ideally, so i can get an idea of size.

I have a cunning plan but cant say too much as yet Smile

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

I sent an enquiry to TVS ansking for a quote to remove the sides of the original awning and reconnect with zips or velcro two weeks ago, they havent replied, they must not need the work. Pete Shocked
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:44 pm

Pete you can get it done in grimsby can get contact details if you want

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

Thanks mike,It would be nice to know what sort of money we are looking at to do the alterations.
It would be nice to use the original awning later. Pete Smile
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

fearful wizard wrote:Thanks mike,It would be nice to know what sort of money we are looking at to do the alterations.

Will sort details when i get back and have a decent connection
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:30 am

fearful wizard wrote:Thanks mike,It would be nice to know what sort of money we are looking at to do the alterations.

Do get a quote through Mike.
TVS did the job for me earlier this year. Two zips on either side piece and a clip on storm strap to allow its use as a sun canopy.
Not cheap at £150 but TVS do have a reputation for quality work.
A road test report will follow shortly. I have done the photographs already, it's just writing up but this is Goodwood FOS weekend so plenty of stuff to fill days.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

Thanks, gives me an idea of the cost, i ththought it would be around £100/£150 mark.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 7:35 am

Cant remember the exact price for mine as i had other things done at the same time ie a new pole bag and awning bag both in pvc,plus a small weld at a bottom corner eyelets on the roof front corners for tyeing down two loops fitted to the awning front for the curtain string at the bottom of the front window,looking at the two zips on each side that Kevin had done TVS would likley be cheaper for one at each end.

It was east coast marine in wellogate grimsby that did mine will try to find there phone no.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:50 am

mike wrote:Cant remember the exact price for mine as i had other things done at the same time ie a new pole bag and awning bag both in pvc,plus a small weld at a bottom corner eyelets on the roof front corners for tyeing down two loops fitted to the awning front for the curtain string at the bottom of the front window,looking at the two zips on each side that Kevin had done TVS would likley be cheaper for one at each end.

It was east coast marine in wellogate grimsby that did mine will try to find there phone no.

Googled it and found there number. thanks mike.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

I know he can be a bit pricy but its handy for me,no messing about

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 11:45 am