Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Minnie - Our Dandy Discovery

The Admiral

Minnie - Our Dandy Discovery

Post by The Admiral on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

Our Dandy Minnie (the Minx)is a 1999 Discovery and is slightly unusual in that she is one of the limited edition all white Dandys
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Minnie since we bought her last June. To begin with I loved her to bits then as we began using her more we began to find more and more things wrong with her! To the point where I was seriously considering reselling her and taking what I could get. We definitely paid too much money for her, but over the spring we have done a refurb - new covers, new curtains, new flooring mainly with help and support from the likes of Helen, Mike et al and she now looks much better.

I think that she's probably not going to be with us for more than about a couple of years before we upgrade, but for the moment I'm back in the 'love her' phase and I think it'll stay that way until we pass her on to her new owners!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Minnie - Our Dandy Discovery

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

By then you wont want to part with her Jane Laughing

I am pleased your back in Love with Minnie I love you
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:51 pm

helen wrote:By then you wont want to part with her Jane Laughing

I am pleased your back in Love with Minnie I love you

Second that the more you use her more you will love her
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

i didn't realise minnie was an all white one makes her even more unique Smile
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

We was going to look at an all white discovery last year but never got round to it.I wonder if it could have been the same one this was around June.
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

Could have been Nick as we bought her on June 21st last year from a couple in Matlock in Derbyshire. I know there's not many all white ones about as apparently people didn't like them so they discontinued the edition.
I think if we do decide to keep her longer term then we would probably take her to Ian at Riva to get her professionally renovated and a proper kitchen unit put back in, as much as I do love her now I still feel she's not complete somehow without it. It's not worth spending the money to get it done if we're only keeping her for a short while though which is the plan at the moment.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

The kitchen units do come up on ebay from time to time, it would be pretty simple to put in. The price would be a lot cheaper or you could even buy an old dandy and stip the kitchen out of it Smile
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

yes that was it,Matlock the photo's from what i remember didn't show the kitchen area but showed the new upholstery.If i remember its a fairly late model 1999 or something.The fact it was all white was what grabbed my attention,but i think i was dithering then ended up buying a delta from Neil off the other forum.I seem to remember Ian at Riva telling Vicky a kitchen would cost a fortune,so to be honest it might be worth getting a joiner to make a kitchen in stackable modules.Have a look at our Kitchens at the meet take some details etc and get a few quotes,it might only be a couple of days work for a decent chippy to make you a great kitchen Very Happy
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

you need one of these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which are readily available then its a case of a carpenter building stackable units to suit
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

NickB wrote:yes that was it,Matlock the photo's from what i remember didn't show the kitchen area but showed the new upholstery.If i remember its a fairly late model 1999 or something.The fact it was all white was what grabbed my attention,but i think i was dithering then ended up buying a delta from Neil off the other forum.I seem to remember Ian at Riva telling Vicky a kitchen would cost a fortune,so to be honest it might be worth getting a joiner to make a kitchen in stackable modules.Have a look at our Kitchens at the meet take some details etc and get a few quotes,it might only be a couple of days work for a decent chippy to make you a great kitchen Very Happy
The 'new' upholstery when we came to replace it this year was a complete bodge job. In a photo it might have looked good believe me it wasn't. We've asked Ian @ Riva how much it would cost to replace the kitchen unit & he quoted us £800! Which is why we wouldn't have it done unless we have a change of heart and decide to keep Minnie longer term, as we'd never recoup the cost.
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

its a bit of an extreme measure but how about buying an old 80s dandy for say £500 and taking out the kitchen and putting it in yours,then put new floor covering in the donor Dandy and sell it back on ebay without kitchen you would probably get most of your money back. Smile
Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

That's a very good idea Nick, also sometimes a canvas camper goes really cheap on ebay cos the canvas has rotted and so long as the measurements fit their type of cooker units would probably do too.

lol!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:09 am

Do you have any pictures of your Minnie make over, I know she looked great because I did see some pictures of her but it may give people ideas if you post them Very Happy
I love to see what people have done inside and how individual you can make them look. bounce
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:41 am

Yes I have got some, I took them over the BH weekend at New Hall Farm. They are still in the camera at the moment, I will post them when we get back from Ireland in 10 days (currently on the ferry at Birkenhead). If I go quiet over the next week that's the reason as our cottage is in the back of beyond so not sure what the signal will be like, if I can post I will Very Happy
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:07 am

have a lovely time in ireland Jayne,
enjoy yourself Smile
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

Have fun hope you can get logged on,easy on the whisky Very Happy

Sponsored content