Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

plastic awning rail?

Krist0n

plastic awning rail?

Post by Krist0n on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 6:54 am

What's your opinion? And can you find a UK stockist?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: plastic awning rail?

Post by mike on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

Looks good my only negative thought is it may need more fixing points but easier to follow curves with.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

That looks like a figure of 8 fixing we got with the Royal Kensington awning with just under half of the 8 cut off.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm lost KirstOn I thought you were going to go with string a la Carl?

And I'm lost again because looking for awning rail retailers I found this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So why is the awning not fitted directly to the awning rail? I really fail to understand. Ah is it to allow you to pull the beaded tape or the figure of 8 away from a vehicle for a driveaway awning.

Then as these things exist and you don't want to fix channel to the body of the Dandy why not stitch the beaded tape to the roof?

There are a a number of retailers on line but most forums suggest buying from the local caravan dealer.

If you are really keen on the brand you found scroll to the bottom of the ad, they do international sales.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

Tow Itch wrote: I'm lost KirstOn I thought you were going to go with string a la Carl?

So why is the awning not fitted directly to the awning rail? I really fail to understand. Ah is it to allow you to pull the beaded tape or the figure of 8 away from a vehicle for a driveaway awning.

Then as these things exist and you don't want to fix channel to the body of the Dandy why not stitch the beaded tape to the roof?

There are a a number of retailers on line but most forums suggest buying from the local caravan dealer.

If you are really keen on the brand you found scroll to the bottom of the ad, they do international sales.

This shows my simple tie down idea several lengths of the fiq of 8 about 8 inches long each one with a length of the double edge bead tape in,then a couple of brass eyelets in each piece of tape the awning edge could then be pulled under the roof edge and tied in place.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

Tow Itch wrote: I'm lost KirstOn I thought you were going to go with string a la Carl?

I AM going with Carls idea for the full awning. But I have also bought a porch awning, which is why I want the awning rail. I'm not going to drill holes in the side of the Dandy though. I'm going to suspend the awning rail, but will go into detail once I have made it, hopefully next week. (depending when I get the awning rail)

Mike I like your idea of putting the eyelets in the "double edged beaded tape", rather than into the awning. I have also seen the "Kwik Klips", and have posted a question to the suppliers "will this be able to grip the awning profile"? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm

KirstOn

There are a whole range of tarpaulin clips. Try Googling tarpaulin clips. We discussed them as well as bungy hold downs at TVS on Friday. Metal ones are also available apparently. The plastic ones UV degrade quicker than tent peg rubbers.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

I managed to order 2 lengths of flexi-rail for £15.60 each. 2.28metres long.
However, after a whole day trying to find a stockist that would be willing to sell to the public, I have just realised a MUCH easier way of achieving what I want to with the figure 8. It will work out £4 more expensive, but will look a lot neater.

Would anyone be interested in buying 2 lengths of flexi-rail?

OR would anyone happen to have a length of pvc or acrylic or something spare/for sale. It needs to be 380cm x 40cm.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:54 am

These people sell PVC and Acrylic fabric you may get an off cut.

Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:17 am

Ok. I am going to stick to my origional plan now, providing I can get the correct material. There are a few old side curtains off the wagons at my work, so I'm going to ask if I can recycle part of one. This material would be perfect. AND it's blue

My origional plan is to cut a long length of pvc (The full length of the solid wall (3m)), plus a little more for overlap. I am then going to tuck it under the roof and pull as tight as possible from the sides and velcro on the inside of the Dandy. A few ties also for good measure. The Flexi-Rail will then hang on the bottom of the piece of pvc at a height of 230cm for my porch awning. As my porch awning has fibreglass poles that naturally want to spring upwards, it may be necessary to tie the bottom of the pvc/rail down onto one of the buttons on the side of the Dandy.

My MUCH easier idea, incase anyone wants to pinch it, or adapt it, is very similar to the above, and also to Mikes idea. Using a piece of draught skirt, put the flat end under the roof and puul tight, velcro, and tie. (as with the 1st idea).
Then attach a figure of 8 onto the beading, and your awning onto that. EASY PEEZY! And only about £4 difference in cost.
To get a snugger fit, it would be best to use a blunt pai of pliers to snip the awning beading off at the end inside the material and take that out. This will help it fit under the roof much better and easier. Keep hold of the beading though, as you can put it back in if you find you want it longer again for any reason.

Oh, and the reason for the material hanging down, is to get past the roof flap, and hold the awning in the correct shape at the correct height. It also stops any rain from getting under the awning rail, as it will (hopefully) just flow over.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:25 am

Tow Itch wrote:These people sell PVC and Acrylic fabric you may get an off cut.

And thanks for the link Tow Itch
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 5:47 am

This is the "Flex-a-Rail" awning rail. There is a length of string
running through it, just as an awning profile would, but there are 4 holes that
I have drilled for it to thread through. One at each end of the rail, and 2 in the midd;e
(the 2 in the middle are to hold the 2 lengths together).
The string is thent hread under the Dandy roof, and tied on the inside. The Rail under
a sheet of pvc to prevent water Getting under it.

At the bottom of the pvc sheet I have made a hem and inserted a length
of bungee. This is then placed over the beds and fastened under the beds.

The vertcal roof string is fed through a hole in the pvc sheet, just under
the roof overhang.

I've already thread the awning through at this point. The awning rail
is actually in 2 pieces. This is the join in the middle. I am going to neaten it up a little.
The vertical roof string will not go here in future. Instead it will
just go behind the rail. Also, the string that goes through the holes
in the middle of the rail will be attached to another peice of string.
One end going up and under the roof and tied inside. The other end going down the exterior wall and tied.
This is to stop the awning from weighing the rail down in the middle, and to
stop the tension of the fibreglass poles from pushing the rail upwards.

Inside the Dandy.

The awning attached.

Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:18 am

Oh, and my favourate bit. The two toned pvc Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 7:53 am

Looks very smart Kriston

Thanks for posting the pictures, the awning looks lovely. Very Happy
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:04 am

When you were talking about flexible rail I thought that you were looking to attach a full length awning.
I'm still not certain that in developing this you are not leaving your options open for both types of awning.

If this is just to mount a lightweight awning of this type with a horizontal bead then I'm impressed in a different way.
You haven't done what everyone else does and screwed in the rail. You have developed your own non permanent, non marking system.
Take a bow Mr K.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:57 am

Tow Itch wrote: When you were talking about flexible rail I thought that you were looking to attach a full length awning.
I'm still not certain that in developing this you are not leaving your options open for both types of awning.

If this is just to mount a lightweight awning of this type with a horizontal bead then I'm impressed in a different way.
You haven't done what everyone else does and screwed in the rail. You have developed your own non permanent, non marking system.
Take a bow Mr K.

My full awning (well, it's not quite full coz it's not the right size) will not go onto the awning rail, it will fit the same as the old origional one. It will slide under the roof and tie to the inside. There are 5 poles with it. The 3 main poles (2 ends and a middle) will fit onto U brackets with holes for the L shaped hook. The other 2 poles will be fitted using the "quick fix pads" system.

Because it doesn't quite fit, the door end of the awning wont go all the way down the bed roof, so I'm having to adapt it, similar to a porch awning, so it runs down the front of the Dandy, next to the door. I havn't finished playing with this one, but as soon as I have, I will post some pics. Probably in the school summer hols.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:21 am

Would be good to see how it all works out, so far very well

I've seen a lovely destiny for sale and may have even stretched to paying storage costs for it but someone has drilled an awning rail through the pvc and front wall Neutral
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

To be honest Helen, I really wouldn't let that put you off. It will probably be fitted very well, and if it isn't you could seal it yourself. I'm sure that if there was water getting in, it would be very very little, and the amount of condensation that can form on the inside would be far greater than the water intake I'm sure. But like I say, you can eradicate this in any instance with a little cit of clear silicone.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 11:10 am

I also like your awning and installation, it's clever how you've made it not a permanent modification, but still very practical and usable.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 5:53 am

Quick update on that awning rail.
Not enough support points and it sagged.
I drilled 4 more support points and threaded the string through each one to make hoops that hook u under the roof poles.
Worked a treat! Smile
Still think the figure 8 with the draught skirt would much easier though. Especially now I have a spare draught skirt lol.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 5:57 am

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]}

Hung it on inside coz it was raining cats and dogs, but you can see how it looks.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 5:59 am

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]}

Made the awning rail cover out of an old paddling pool with a bungee rope along the length of it to keep it tight. The bungee is threaded through a channel I made by folding along the length and glueing.

thesaint

plastic awning rail

Post by thesaint on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

I'm trying to convey this post to my father in law who has not even managed to register on the forum he is in Chester im in Hastings. I have not got a Dandy, I perhaps should apologise now  (nobody may speak to me but 6 berth twin axle swift  sssh!!! trying to keep quiet )  Anyway he has bought one as he only has a 1100 kg tow weight and dont think he'd be happy towing anything bigger....Its a Riva Dandy.   He wants to be able to come away with us once maybe.. help!  that's mother in law as well but with three children maybe we have on site child minders    

Anyway sorry to waffle but thought it wise anyone understand why im struggling to explain partailly as I'm not that au fait with the dandy but it seems and I'm looking to the all knowing Kriston here that you felt the figure of eight method with awning skirt was the easiest though I think you didnt do it that way.  Maybe I'm punch drunk with it now and need to walk away and come back but I am struggling to work out which is the best way to advise him to do this so they can put an awning attached to the dandy when its up     I appreciate the principle as I regularly put an awing up but as this does not come with awning rail would you put the skirt all round and then several pieces of figure eight and I'm assuming thats when the pool piece comes in to go over the top and cover the figure 8 joins.      

Having a caravan is perhaps not helping me understand and then try and explaining to Father in law aaahhhhhhh
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:49 pm

Hi thesaint.

Firstly, I held the awning skirt on to the bottom of the Dandy with standard plastic awning rail, which was attached on the underside of the Dandy with Velcro.

The main awning rail to hold the actual awning I think would be best to use the figure 8 awning rail. On one side of the figure 8 you would put an awning skirt, which would tuck under the dandy roof and tie in place. The other half of the figure 8 would hold the awning. Doing it this way would eliminate the need for the extra bit of material to close the gap( in my case, the bit of paddling pool.

The reason I needed the extra bit of material, is because I used standard plastic awning rail, held on by string. If it rained, the rain would hit the side of the Dandy above the rail, and trickle down.

If you still don't get me, let me know and I could pm my mobile number or vise versa.

Good luck with the explaining lol.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

Oh, and the length of figure 8 would be the full length, not in bits. I had to join 2 together as 1 length wasn't quite long enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:24 am