Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Heating a Dandy

Eilis
Dandy Owner

Re: Heating a Dandy

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:04 pm

i hope to get some winter camping done but think i need to sort out the under floor heating before i do as i don't think the little oil heater i have could cope with really cold weather
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

Eilis wrote:i hope to get some winter camping done but think i need to sort out the under floor heating before i do as i don't think the little oil heater i have could cope with really cold weather

If you cant sort the under floor a small convector heater is good,we tried fan heaters too much noise then halogen too much light and as you say oil filled may not be enough.

Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:14 pm

thanks Mike that's worth considering. I'd need to remove the lino as it covers the vent for the under floor heating at the moment and that's going to be a big job i think so if i don't get chance at least i have an alternative
Nick
Dandy Owner

Heating a Dandy

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

Thermostatic Plinth heaters nice neat and flush cost about £100 just cut a hole in storage space like under the seats then plug into a 13amp power socket Very Happy these are what Pennine fit to their £12k folding campers
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm

We have a small camping gas heater for the awning, it warms it up really fast although I think it would prove costly to use over winter. They are quite cheap to buy and range from only £14.99 we paid almost £35 for the same thing as they sell in B&M and Argos just a more popular name on it. Sad

Our underfloor heater is great if no EHU is available but if on EHU why waste the gas. Very Happy
John

Post by John on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

I fitted a PROPEX heater for her indoors, feels the cold you know, even July Aug, and it passed her test, and she took the fleece off Laughing
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:55 pm

How do you find the propex heater, does yours make any noise when its on confused
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

hooker128 wrote:I fitted a PROPEX heater for her indoors, feels the cold you know, even July Aug, and it passed her test, and she took the fleece off Laughing

do you find it noisy though? when we first got our designer, we were excited as it had propex fitted.....and then nick fired it up i was horrified we started making jokes like "passenger doors to manual please" "No smoking or using the toilets whilst the seatbelt sign is illuminated" etc it not so bad now i'm used to it but boy i'd have the underfloor unit over it anyday

pirat
John

Post by John on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

fans not to loud,but when the burner kicks in... some one said its like a digidaroo warbling away Smile
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:30 pm

hooker128 wrote:fans not to loud,but when the burner kicks in... some one said its like a digidaroo warbling away Smile

ours is the same when that burner starts my god,
at least it works very well and has the place toasty in no time pirat
chrisb

Post by chrisb on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

Interested in this topic as I would like to use the Dandy well into Autumn if possible. I do not have underfloor heating fitted so I bought a small 220v fan heater. 2Kw I think. Thermostat controlled but not very good really. It heats the Dandy to sweltering in a couple of minutes and you have to knock it off. So its hot cold hot cold . . .Are there any handy small heaters that are safe to leave on all night that just keep the chill off and that allow you to sleep in comfort ? Something practical. Interested in suggestions.
Thanks in anticipation.
Chris

navver

Post by navver on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:04 pm

We've got one of these
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's very low powered but is enough for our designer. Not tried it in the depths of winter though. It is silent and I think safe as it has a switch underneath which instantly switches it off if it is lifted off the floor in any way so would work if knocked over.

We find the light doesn't bother us at night, rather we like the warm glow which makes us feel all warm and cosy. I feel the light is a safety feature at night as you know where it is.

Often leave it on 400W setting at night which keeps the chill off and completely stops any condensation on the underside of the roof. There is no thermostat but the relatively low output can just be left to run.

It's small to store as well and fits easily in one of the underseat boxes.

I think the natural convectors are probably very good although have not tried one. They have a thermostat, again which is on or off which may not be perfect. The big drawback for me is the size of them in a small space.
ChrisP

How about a small oil filled radiator?

Post by ChrisP on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm

I use a 7 fin oil filled radiator. It was about £35 from B&Q and has a thermostat and 3 power settings 500W, 1000W and 1500W. Two switches control the power. One on 500W, the other one on 1000W and both on 1500W. There is more thermal inertia in the mass of the oil which smooths the response, so you don't get the extreme hot/cold/hot/cold cycles you get with a fan heater . The downside is that it takes a good 15 minutes to warm up. Even on max output it is only a small 'ouch' if you brush against it.

I did think about making a custom kitchen that is deeper and fitting one of the plinth heaters you can get for kitchens....sort of a hidden low power fan heater, but at £145 and a whole lot of effort, it is better to just use the radiator.

I now have a new "old" Dandy with an underfloor heater, but will still use the radiator when on EHU.
Owd Lad

Heating a Dandy

Post by Owd Lad on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:52 am

I did a review, a while ago, on the Dyson Heater (search 'Dyson Heater'). The down side is the price of them (£300'ish). The upside is the efficiency and range of power and they have a good and accurate thermostat. It heats our Destiny without any cold spots and does so whilst spending most of its time 'off'. At home it has seen extensive use and spreads heat over most of our single floor very efficiently. On the few occasions we've used it as a cooling fan it has also shown itself to be effective. If you can stand the heat on full power it's going to use all of its 2kw but on lower temps, (we find about 18degrees about right) the power usage is much reduced and good for EHUs. (1 kW = 4amp) after 8 months we are still very pleased with it.

Steve
ChrisP

Pressure Lamp for Heat and Light.....

Post by ChrisP on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 11:57 pm

I think Tilley lamps have been mentioned in other threads. As well as the light you get a lot of heat. I recently bought a Vapalux which is similar to a Tilley lamp. I used it in the Dandy this July. It was a cold night despite the season, but even so, it was not long before I had to leave the door fully open to let the heat out. It is not that practical, since there is quite a procedure to light it, but then that is part of its charm.
I have an underfloor heater as well, but with the fridge and stove on gas, you need a third bottle to run the heater as a T converter gives more opportunities for a gas leak. The lamp gives me an alternative source of heat if i am short of a gas bottle, or of light if my leisure battery gets low. On a hookup, neither would be a problem and I would just use the oil filled radiator.
One thought though...even when a hookup is planned, it is good to have a fall back in case of problems with the supply, or the booking and you don't get what you expected.
Retro

Post by Retro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 3:07 pm

We have run the stove, fridge and underfloor heater off one cylinder with a chain of tee connectors. As long as the hose is in good condition there shouldn't be any leaks.

We have found that winter camping needs propane rather than butane though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 1:13 am