Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Lakeside Touring Caravan Park

Helen
Dandy Owner

Lakeside Touring Caravan Park

Post by Helen on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When we arrived we found everything clean and tidy, we were put in an area away from the Lake and in between all of the stored caravans, we had 6am electrics that you purchased cards for so you only paid for electricity as you used it. We had a look at the lake and it is beautiful a lovely setting and very very peaceful, it's also nice and flat and well tended, opposite where we were there was a tent field too. There is a security gate that you pay a £10 deposit for an electronic key, refundable when you leave, they also have day visitors as the lake is for fishing.

The nearest loo block to us was at the entrance of our area, it was more for people fishing than people camping as there was no hot water or lights in there but there was a clean towel and hand wash soap (very basic) style of one ladies loo and two gents. We did use these loo's most of the time as they were closest to us, there was no real lighting where we were and plenty of rabbit holes so a torch is a must. I did have a lovely shower but although the two showers in the ladies were clean you had to step back into the shower just to open the door and there was plenty of space that would have allowed the owner to make the cubicles bigger. There were several loo's, two showers and one sink in the ladies and there is no where to put your stuff at the side of the sink.

I think all in all it's a site aimed at caravans that has not done anything to welcome tents. There was plenty of room near the lake where we could have put our Dandy's and they had 10 amp electric which would have been better for us but we were not allowed near the lake in our 'Tents' even though we were paying the same price as the caravans. There is a dog walking area but it's basically just a large caravan storage area, dogs are not allowed near the lake so no gentle stroll around it for Bailey - They do charge £1.50 per night for dogs.

The big shock came when we had some unexpected visitors who were told it was £3 to visit (not £3 per car but per person) the gent didn't take any money from them, the same thing happened with Beverley's friends. When Beverley's friends came to leave this morning he charged them from the deposit they had paid for the key, the same happened with us even though our visitors stayed less than an hour and we didn't expect them. There were a few words regarding this as John and Beverley's friends said we should not be responsible for collecting payment for visitors and yet we were both charged, the chap said he didn't like asking them for the money so they ended up out of pocket as did we. Thank goodness no one else turned up just to say hello because we would have had to have a whip round at the end of our visit.

I would have visited this site again as the emphasis is on peace and tranquillity, the lake setting being lovely ........ however when Terry asked why we were not allowed to pitch there it was basically because we were classed as tents, Terry explained that most of the caravan awnings had more tent pegs in than our Dandy's he was fobbed off with an 'I'll pass on your comments' ......... you tell me a tent that can go on a hard standing and not have a single tent peg if you only put the unit up! We paid the same price as the caravans and were tucked away in between what felt like a caravan graveyard when there was plenty of spare pitches around the lake with much better hook up amps.

This site is not really tent or Dandy friendly, it is geared towards caravans and fishermen. The one sink for having a wash in the ladies is not adequate for a site that accepts tents, and it should be the managers responsibility to take money from people visiting the site.

Did we have a nice time .......... of course we did, would I visit this site again ........... Not unless they can up their game. They need to decide if they want tents there or not.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Lakeside Touring Caravan Park

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

If you were charged the same I'd have the hump at not been given the choice.
If you were placed where the tents normally were, what do they charge for tents?
They charge per unit for the electricity:
The cards went into a slot at the hookup?
I'd have been enthralled at the mechanics of this it sounds like loads of expense to charge pennys and ha'pennys.
What did they charge per unit for electricity?
Remind me what was the cost and was it per pitch or per person.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

At £3 a head if Nancy and i had visited we would have waved from the fence lol! or no its you that would have had to pay lol! Pity about this as it was on our list but if ime second class because i dont choose to take the caravan i have but want to dandy well----
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

Caravan Price List:

Electric is card metered so you only pay for what you use.

Low Season £13.50 per night
High Season £15.50 per night (July & August)
Bank Holidays £16.50 per night (Fri-Mon)
Porch Awning £1.50 per night
Full Awning £2.00 per night
Extra Car £3.00 per night
Dogs £1.50 per night (per dog)
Extra Person £5.00 per night
Day Visitor £3.00 per day

Tent, 2 people and 1 car From £10.00 per night
Tent, 2 people and 1 car From £12.00 per night (July/August)
Tent, 2 people and 1 car From £14.00 per night (Bank Holidays)

We were charged £15 per night, then bought cards for the electric hook up. We did have Bailey with us and his charge was included in the £15. That means we paid the same as a caravan, the tent fee is for tents with no hook up facility, just a grassed field. It says From £10 per night and also that you only pay for the electricity you use but your paying £3.50 just to be on a pitch that has the electricity option by the look of things. As it is adults only it is per unit but if there are more than two people then it's an extra £5 per head per night.

We were charged the same as a caravan because we had the hook up option apparently we only got charged for the electric we used but add £3.50 on to the top of the price of a tent pitch fee per night just to have a hook up point on your pitch then the you only pay for what you use becomes expensive electricity, your being charged twice for electric as far as I can see. Haven't got a clue what they were charging per unit of electricity, you put a card in the meter to top up.

No we could not go on a pitch near the Lake or have the 10 amp option because they said we are tents but we did pay £13.50 per night the same as the caravans simply to have a hook up point. And yes we did grumble about it, but were just as annoyed about being charged for visitors rather than the visitors being charged.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

mike wrote:At £3 a head if Nancy and i had visited we would have waved from the fence lol! or no its you that would have had to pay lol! Pity about this as it was on our list but if ime second class because i dont choose to take the caravan i have but want to dandy well----

Like I said we would have probably gone back and paid the fee's had we been given the same options as the caravans just for the peace and quiet but having looked again at the fee's I feel a bit more miffed now, and yep if you and Nancy had visited it wouldn't have been you paying but us without even being told we were until we were leaving.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

Well you live and learn but its like me at Christmas had a great time but dont think i would go back to that site,its a learning curve
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

We did have a good time in spite of our gripes and saw another area we probably wouldn't have visited if it hadn't been for the meet. cheers
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

I'm curious as to how much per unit they charged? Where there visible meters at each plug in point.
The cost of a card reading unit can't have been cheap. This smacks of something I might use on a site intended for long term stays to make sure I covered my costs but didn't have the hurdle of a basic £4 per day to cover electricity. Yet it's annoying short term campers who are charged £3.50 for the access to electric and then per unit.
I think it might have been discussed on camping forums before but I'm not sure if the electricity is subject to the maximum resale price but I just fail to understand why they would meter the electric unless for long term residents.?
So how much were you charged per unit? Was your use determined by "What the card said" or was there a visible meter?
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

Tow Itch wrote: I'm curious as to how much per unit they charged? Where there visible meters at each plug in point.
The cost of a card reading unit can't have been cheap. This smacks of something I might use on a site intended for long term stays to make sure I covered my costs but didn't have the hurdle of a basic £4 per day to cover electricity. Yet it's annoying short term campers who are charged £3.50 for the access to electric and then per unit.
I think it might have been discussed on camping forums before but I'm not sure if the electricity is subject to the maximum resale price but I just fail to understand why they would meter the electric unless for long term residents.?
So how much were you charged per unit? Was your use determined by "What the card said" or was there a visible meter?

We use a site in Norfolk with pay for what you use electric cant be exact but i think it was £5 for the week,on this one though the owner had the card and just entered on the metre how much you had paid her,then any unused credit was retuned at the end of your stay,great in the summer but not sure about winter.
The law may have changed but at one time you where not allowed to make a profit on electricity so the installation costs must be recouped from the site fees.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

mike wrote:
Tow Itch wrote: I'm curious as to how much per unit they charged? Where there visible meters at each plug in point.

We use a site in Norfolk with pay for what you use electric cant be exact but i think it was £5 for the week,on this one though the owner had the card and just entered on the metre how much you had paid her,then any unused credit was retuned at the end of your stay,great in the summer but not sure about winter.
The law may have changed but at one time you where not allowed to make a profit on electricity so the installation costs must be recouped from the site fees.

Exactly Mike.

You know your own usage so a coolbox approx 1 unit or just over, a domestic kettle on for say 20 mins 1 unit. So it's electric ovens or heaters that take us from this and 30p or 40p to your daily use of a £1 if five days or 80p if a full seven days.
So the expense of fitting these meters can't be charged for in the cost of the electric used only charged in the pitch fee or as on this site an availability charge.
I did think of another reason for meters. If the site has a limited ability to draw current then either the number of electric pitches must be limited or they try to reduce each pitches consumption.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 7:43 pm

At this site you bought cards at £1 each, you then pushed your card into a slot and it would show £1 on the meter,if you put another card in this would then give a credit of £2 and it just showed the amount of electric you were in credit. Once the paper type cards had been put into the machine and their value credited they were then thrown away as the meter made a mark in the card to say they had been used. It didn't say how much each unit of electricity was but any credit left on the meter wasn't refunded, you could return any unused cards for a refund on them. We spent £2.20 in 2 nights but it actually cost £3 as the money left on the metre couldn't be refunded. The meter didn't have any credit on when we arrived so I don't know what happens to this or if the machines can be re-set. We told Beverley to stick her electric cable in our hook up to use up any spare we had left.

Hogarth

Post by Hogarth on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

Copy of review placed on UK campsites site

This was our second visit to Lakeside and I have to say I left this time rather disappointed. The setting is lovely and the idea of an adults only site is appealing after raising two children. However, the emphasis was on peace and tranquility for the CARAVAN owners but not for anyone else. I booked our visit for a group of Dandy folding campers (about six units) in January of this year and specifically asked if we could pitch around the beautiful lake which is the centrepiece of the site. I received a reply saying that we had all been put in the Laurals but not knowing where this specific area was, thought that we were in fact around the lakeside somewhere. this was not the case. Even though we paid the same price as a caravan, we were stuck in a back field with a lovely view of the caravan storage area. When I approached the site warden I was told that he would 'bring my thoughts to the notice of the owner'. frankly not good enough. When I pointed out that a Dandy uses less pegs and groundsheet area than a caravan awning I was ignored.
The site facilities do not seem able to cope either. There is one shower block which is housed in the main toilets. Two showers each for males and females for the entire campsite which were running cold by 9.30am. Don't forget that this was in March at the start of the season and the site was running at about 40% capacity. I again brought this to the attention of the warden, who's reply was 'They (Us campers) have used all the hot water'. Again. Not good enough.
Since last year the site has introduced 6 amp pre payment electrics on the back field and 10 amp (I think) for the Caravans. We had to purchase cards which were placed into a slot in the electricity boxes and the amount of money paid showed on a meter. We used £1.40p worth in two days but were told that you didn't get any unused credit back. You only get back the price of any unused cards which you return to the office upon leaving. Hint... Only buy the £1.00 cards and use them because if you buy the £5.00 cards you may end up paying for a lot of electricity you don't use.
Another shock was the fact that any visitors you have who are not actually staying on the site are charged at £3.00 per person per day. This cost is not recovered from the visitor by the warden but is taken from the £10.00 deposit you pay for the fob you need to get through the security gate even if the visitors are uninvited. Our friends visitors actually went into the office upon their arrival and asked the warden where we were pitched and the warden had ample opportunity to charge them the £3.00 there and then. Our fellow campers asked the warden why he felt that they should be responsible for collecting fees on his behalf but were again left with little explanation.
I left Lakeside feeling that anyone with a tent or trailer tent is considered a nuisance. They wish to cater for Caravans only in my opinion. I paid exactly the same as a caravan and should have been able to take advantage of the views over the lake. Not over the Caravan storage area. Sorry Lakeside but I won't be back or recommending you.

April and Terry
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Couldn't have put it any better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Oct 2018, 10:20 pm