Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Painting the sides?

Kimmie
Kimmie

Painting the sides? Empty Painting the sides?

Post by Kimmie on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:49 pm

Hiya folks.
Swampy is getting his inaugural run at Easter.
I need to paint the sides of the trailer- the grey bits and can anyone give me any suggestions what to use please?
I've tried exterior gloss on a bit but it looks awful. affraid Maybe spray paint?

Thanks peeps sunny
Caz1960
Caz1960

Painting the sides? Empty Re: Painting the sides?

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:06 pm

are the sides metal ?? if so car spray paint or Hammerite if wood gloss then rub down with sand paper and gloss again but with primer underneath flower
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

Caz1960 wrote:are the sides metal ?? if so car spray paint or Hammerite if wood gloss then rub down with sand paper and gloss again but with primer underneath flower

Hi caz. It's plastic panels that've previously been painted. Badly!
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

emulsion but that's not weather prof um try an acrylic !! gloss would have to be put on top of a primer I usually emulsion first then gloss flower
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:17 pm

oh yea better gloss best when warm and use a roller brush like the ones that you use for rads but for a better grip light coat of emulsion first flower
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

Painting the sides? 2702329197 [quote="Caz1960"]oh yea better gloss best when warm and use a roller brush like the ones that you use for rads but for a better grip light coat of emulsion first flower

Painting the sides? 2702329197
Who can guess what I'm doing on my day off tomoz cheers
Thanks caz
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:27 pm

Glad I could help and don't forget the pictures oh getting a sun tan while you work Painting the sides? 1705467399 Painting the sides? 1705467399 flower
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm

this stuff can be used on external plastic surfaces

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm

that looks like good stuff ooooh the colours bounce bounce bounce flower
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:40 am

I'd be tempted to say the best thing you can "paint" it with is phenolic based plywood as I think it's pretty well agreed that the plastic was not a great success as it warped and looks for want of a better word grim.
However it's not cheap and its not a five minute paint over. It's also very easy for me to spend your money.
What might be cheaper than you imagine and can be a plain single colour change or the most intricate of graphics is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A variety of companies do the process and some may be cheaper than setting yourself up for a half way decent paint over.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

John would say spray it to get the best finish but its easy for him to say that as he has the stuff to do that with and knows what he's doing we've seen Dandy's with over spray on the pvc Shocked

Use the gloss mini rollers and don't go on heavy, several light coats are far better than a heavy one with a curtaining effect. Most important is the prep, make sure it's all clean and then wipe down with some white spirit to get any grease off then primer first - you could even give it a light rub down with a fine abrasive paper to create a 'key' before you use the white spirit. You can achieve a decent finish with rollers if you take care and a bit of time to do it properly, let each coat dry fully (light coats dry faster anyway) before applying the next and don't press on hard with the roller, a good finish just takes a bit of patience.
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Tow Itch wrote: I'd be tempted to say the best thing you can "paint" it with is phenolic based plywood as I think it's pretty well agreed that the plastic was not a great success as it warped and looks for want of a better word grim.
However it's not cheap and its not a five minute paint over. It's also very easy for me to spend your money.
What might be cheaper than you imagine and can be a plain single colour change or the most intricate of graphics is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A variety of companies do the process and some may be cheaper than setting yourself up for a half way decent paint over.

I had thought about a similar route for our wooden sides, until such times the bank account is in agreement to replace the wood lol, but using self adhesive [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] instead. We purchased some from the vinyl depot for our campervans headlining, and we were very impressed with how easy it is to use, the company also send out samples.

They say it will last out side for 1 to 3 years, but if the trailer is kept covered it will last longer. It's not a permanent solution, but you could change the colour and look every few years

Helen, they do a blue, lol!

Ooh, I did a fancy link, not sure how now. Rolling Eyes
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

Your link works great, just clicked on the red word and it takes you to the Vinyl Depot. Very Happy
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

I impressed myself, lol. I copied the layout from the quote of Mr Itch's post. Cool
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

The best temporary cheap solution is oil based paint,gloss often looks a bit naff oil based eggshell can be a bit dull,but if you go to a shop that mixes paint you can get gloss and undercoat in the same colour,both need to be oil based then you can mix a small amount of the undercoat with the gloss and keep trying a small test until you get a sheen thats nice,the small rollers are the best if you are not a good brush hand,if you ever spray domestic oil based paints dont thin them just stand the tin in boiling water this makes it spray better and when it hits the surface you are painting it cools rapidly and is less likley to run,the other trick we used when spraying old cars was to mix oil based varnish with oil based gloss you can get a fantastic finish that way.

And i deny all knowledge of this post lol!
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

i thought the sides in question were plastic?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:28 am