Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

replacing the carpet Dandy 6

carl

replacing the carpet Dandy 6

Post by carl on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

just a few pics of the progress of taking the old carpet out

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this unit were the fridge sits can stay in a bit fiddly but you can slip the lino under it if you take all the screws out that hold it down to the floor

when all the carpet has been removed i fitted some floor insulation this will also put extra cushion to the floor

over the top of the insulation a layer of breathable membrane this is a hard wearing material
notice i lay one one way and the the other way so i dont get all the joints running the same way

It is best to cut round the under floor heater as you go (when you kneel on it boy dose it hurt you knees)

i will update as i go
TOTAL COST TO DATE IS £10.00
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Re: replacing the carpet Dandy 6

Post by vickoir on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm

Carl thats looking really good so far and only 10 pound spent so far too,
really good looking forward to seeing it finished Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Thats great Carl and good to see the pictures it doesnt seem half as scary affraid a job as I thought it would be and now I am very tempted and will probably do this for next season. Its a job I have wanted to do for ages. Smile
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

it looks like the flooring is in good solid condition,are you lifting up the heater a little to get the lino under the heater surround trim and how are you sticking the lino down Question
carl

Post by carl on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

NickB wrote:it looks like the flooring is in good solid condition,are you lifting up the heater a little to get the lino under the heater surround trim and how are you sticking the lino down Question
slow down ya going to fast for me
yes there is 4 screws that holds the heater down then it will slide enough to slip the lino under
i will be using double sided tape but i dont feel this is important as all the furniture will hold it in place
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:45 am

I was wondering about the underfloor heater too lol!

I am also eager to see how you manage with the bit at the door, this really is a great topic for me Laughing I can moan at my hubby to get it done now we know how Laughing
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 1:34 pm

carl wrote:
NickB wrote:it looks like the flooring is in good solid condition,are you lifting up the heater a little to get the lino under the heater surround trim and how are you sticking the lino down Question
yes there is 4 screws that holds the heater down then it will slide enough to slip the lino under
i will be using double sided tape but i dont feel this is important as all the furniture will hold it in place

ha ha Carl nick is just as impatient as me we love to see what others are doing to pimp up their dandy's Laughing
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

carl wrote:

Carl,pull your finger out and dont blame the weather cos its always raining in Cumbria lol! Its going to look good though when its done,with the underlay it should be nice and cushioned underfoot,Oh and as Vicky says i am impatient Wink
carl

Post by carl on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

done nothing today it is poring down ah ah ah ah
right got the lino ready to lay

covering the wheel arches

the door way is easy as the trim will pull up so you can slip the lino under

cut out round the heater leaving enough to go under the trim

you can lift the heater box up enough to slip the lino under

dont forget to cut the holes out for the vents under the seats

when you have all your lino fitted time to start replacing every thing

a good tip is run a bead of silicon around all the edges even around the cupboards
with there not being any carpet if you spill any liquid it will want to seep under the cupboard and this would take you ages to clean up also if you spill your beer you can get a straw and still drink it with out the carpet soaking it up

you can get some trim from your local DIY shop

almost complete now

Job Done hope you like
well time for a beer i think

Total cost job completed £59.00

Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

That looks amazing Carl and the pics are superb, thank you so much for sharing this and showing us the step by step stages, makes it much easier for other members to replicate cheers cheers cheers
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:03 pm

That looks amazing and I was going to go for a wood look myself but I think I would prefer something like the stuff you have used.............. Well done cheers
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:06 pm

Like the pattern looks different and real nice,well done
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

i may be impatient but even i was not expecting you to get it finished and pics posted so quickly.Thats a great look and finish,the pattern is nice and neutral and compliments the interior.I am envious of your steel wheel arches,only because mine are made of OSB board of all things.I need to redo the sealant around the edge of our vinyl at some point.Its so easy to keep clean we just pack those throw away flash wipes and do the floor with those,its great.
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

carl,
that is a brilliant job really impressed pics look great your the flooring king king
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:13 pm

Carl you do realise that when we meet you we're going to spend ages crawling over your dandy and drooling over the work you have done lol it'll be ' ooh and how did you do that? and that? and that? etc etc' lol geek
Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

Blimey that was very fast, and it looks great.

You have got me wondering now wether to go the vinyl root instead of the wooden flooring, cos it takes me ages to do the laminate even though i am made up with it once it's done.

But i would also really like that if i could find something in blue.

Steve likes carpet (he does walk round in his bare feet though and i don't) but it gets too dirty too quickly it's got a few stains on it now that i can't get off and they get on my nerves, maybe i will be looking to change it after this season now i have seen yours, and i can buy a nice rug for Steve's tootsies.

lol!
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:34 pm

Lol and Steve wrote:
Blimey that was very fast, and it looks great.

You have got me wondering now wether to go the vinyl root instead of the wooden flooring, cos it takes me ages to do the laminate even though i am made up with it once it's done.

But i would also really like that if i could find something in blue.

Steve likes carpet (he does walk round in his bare feet though and i don't) but it gets too dirty too quickly it's got a few stains on it now that i can't get off and they get on my nerves, maybe i will be looking to change it after this season now i have seen yours, and i can buy a nice rug for Steve's tootsies.

lol!

Lol you will get something blue if you go down the vinyl route also you can always put a plain carpet rug/runner to keep steves tootsies warm,if you lay vinyl it might be worth fixing popper studs to the floor and rug keeps it in place.
Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Yes the poppers are a good idea, i've seen them on the new types of campers, and they keep the carpet nice and taught.

MMMMM....Food for thought......

lol!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

If you dont mind Carl, I would eventually like to make this an info thread Replacing the Carpet

I have had my dandy a long time and have seen some attempts but they didnt look that great and put me off doing ours but now that you have shown us how to do it properly I am quite excited about doing something similar to ours. We have a dog and a grandaughter the dog gets wet paws and evie spills stuff, I also have a husband who spilled a half jar of coffee all over, doesnt sound too bad but even after it had been swept out some grains were left and ultimatley got damp so we have some marks too that just wont budge. No
carl

Post by carl on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm

Helen you can use this topic anyway you please just hope it helps others

as for lino being cold the answer is NO
if you use the isolation like i used it is warm and soft to walk on

A big thanks to all the feed back i am glad you like it
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:18 am

Thankyou for the pictures and taking the time to put them on here and all the fab info too.

It has already helped me, I was conviced it was glued down and I would have to use a door carpet plate and thats the reason we put it off for so long ......... John may not agree though as he is going to have to get stuck in and do it Shocked

Helen Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:19 am

Just took another look at this and I know people like to keep the original stuff in them and that's a good thing but for practical reasons we will be doing this with our designer ........... it's been a busy time but we will get it done sometime early next year, the just cut grass and dog hair was a nuisance on our last trip. Vicki's carpet was great and easy to clean but the old dandy carpet is not. Evil or Very Mad

clydestyle

Breatheable Membrane

Post by clydestyle on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:39 am

carl wrote:just a few pics of the progress of taking the old carpet out

this unit were the fridge sits can stay in a bit fiddly but you can slip the lino under it if you take all the screws out that hold it down to the floor

when all the carpet has been removed i fitted some floor insulation this will also put extra cushion to the floor

over the top of the insulation a layer of breathable membrane this is a hard wearing material
notice i lay one one way and the the other way so i dont get all the joints running the same way

It is best to cut round the under floor heater as you go (when you kneel on it boy dose it hurt you knees)

i will update as i go

Hi,
What exactly is the "breatheable membrane" and where can I buy it?
Thanks

Mikey
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:28 pm

clydestyle wrote:
carl wrote:just a few pics of the progress of taking the old carpet out

i will update as i go

Hi,
What exactly is the "breatheable membrane" and where can I buy it?
Thanks

Mikey
breathable membrane is the stuff on top of the foam type underlay in the pics you put it under laminate flooring too B&Q Wickes and most carpet shops sell it and you can get it of flea bay
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

Hi,

I suppose I can understand putting laminate underlay under the vinyl to make it softer, although you would not do this in normal circumstances as it would be too soft causing the vinyl to stretch and move. I am confused though why put a breathable membrane down. The floor is sealed underneath with shultz/tettraseal and you are putting down vinyl which will seal the top. There is no need for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:20 pm