Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

weather, where you are

Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: weather, where you are

Post by Helen on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

We have managed in high winds but it would have been so much easier with an extra pair of hands (or two) and why struggle when a few of us will be there. It's only an hour and a half's drive for us so although we may not set off very early we shouldn't arrive late either, hopefully just after dinner time. Very Happy

I'm getting giddy now
Ali

Post by Ali on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

Have a lovely time everybody! My only dandying in next few days will be cleaning out the stones and grass from last weekend and removing stuff for storage Sad
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

It was very blustery in Oldham yesterday, some pretty fierce gusts but today it has eased off and the sun is managing to get through at the moment. Still fairly warm though sunny
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

was really windy up here a building collapsed in durham destroying 20 cars thankfully not one person was injured and its windy again today too
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

We had about three rumbles of thunder here this morning, then one almighty clap of lightning. It blew our trip and when we reset it we found out our answer phone had had it. A little while later when out in the garden with the dogs Jen found some pieces of concrete. We discovered it had hit our fence big time. It has smashed about 12 posts and gravel boards. We think it must have gone along the steel reinforcing rods.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm

oh my god just as well no one was out there or the dogs could have been a lot worse
but cant believe how big the bits are affraid
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:58 pm

Dear All

Do you remember being told as a child not to shelter in a lightning storm near trees.
If you were like me you never understood this.
If the lightning hits the tree it doesn't strike me was my reasoning.
what was never explained (or not to me) was that the lightning strike could vapourise the entire water contents of the tree.
Turning it into a giant fragmentation device when the water expanded over 1,000 times instantly.

Kevin.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:31 am

Tow Itch wrote: Dear All

Do you remember being told as a child not to shelter in a lightning storm near trees.
If you were like me you never understood this.
If the lightning hits the tree it doesn't strike me was my reasoning.
what was never explained (or not to me) was that the lightning strike could vapourise the entire water contents of the tree.
Turning it into a giant fragmentation device when the water expanded over 1,000 times instantly.

Kevin.

With me it was a case of my parents probably didn't know the technical reasons, mixed with the fact they where great believers in children did as they where told without reasons being given,dont remember life being that bad though Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 6:52 am

Yes we were told not to stand near a tree and we were also told not to use an umberella in lightening, Sat in the Dandy in a massive thunder and lightening storm a few years ago and lightening struck on the farm where we were staying affraid John spent all night trying to convince me that the Dandy wasn't just a large umberella Laughing

Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:15 am

couple of years ago some friends had their back fence hit by lightening and it caught fire, thankfully they were in and put it out quickly or it could have been a nightmare

thank goodness nobody was hurt
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:23 am

It's an awful day here today and looks like it's going to be all weekend ...... Rain & Windy, the days are getting so much shorter now. Neutral

Soon be Christmas bounce one of our big local shops already has it's decorations up and on sale. They sort this lot out when there are only 101 days to go cheers
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

Spectacular sunset here tonight and it's pleasantly warm considering its almost October........ John has been sat out in the back garden Smile looks like it's going to be lovely again tomorrow too. sunny
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

foggy this morning, foggy again tonight but in between i think it was really warm but i was stuck in side a building all day so didn't get the benefit Sad
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

Looks like we can see the end of the nice weather now,forecast for this area is 9c by Thursday bit of a drop that,may need to get the thermals out soon affraid the one thing about winter camping is it stops the winter seeming so long.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

Its been a lovely day in Oldham but on the walk home from the pub this evening it was decidedly chilly Shocked

Did you notice that although I have spent the afternoon in the pub I could still spell decidedly Exclamation
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:08 am

helen wrote:Its been a lovely day in Oldham but on the walk home from the pub this evening it was decidedly chilly Shocked

Did you notice that although I have spent the afternoon in the pub I could still spell decidedly Exclamation

yes i have to say i'm impressed but clearly you didn't have enough to drink lol
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

Oh but my head thinks I did Laughing I had to think very carefully to get it right.
It's a naff day here again with drizzle at the moment but really chilly, feels like winter has arrived. Neutral
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

helen wrote:Its been a lovely day in Oldham but on the walk home from the pub this evening it was decidedly chilly Shocked

I dont make spelling mistakes I have a spell check to do it for me Very Happy
Owd Lad

Re' weather where are you

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

Awoken, today, by the dogs at 6.30am and got up to a dark, but clear and wind free day. A bit on the cool side but it was pleasant to sit with a brew and the halogen heater on as the dogs breakfasted and I watched it get lighter. In reality it was a lovely autumn morning which quickly matured into a lovely, warm autumn day. Soon it was time for the beach walk and it must be said that there was much scampering about and a lightness of spirit, for both dogs and owner, which I can only put down to better weather. (Well, perhaps not scampering about for the owner!) Not a bit like the last couple of mornings which were met with gales and horizontal rain, making it feel colder than it was and particularly miserable. Some days you just know that things aren't going to get any better. In fact some days you just know things aren't going to go right!.......
Let's re-wind to Monday morning and our post walk return to the haven of home. Two very wet dogs and one very wet owner walked through the door and were instructed, "Stay!", followed by "Stand on those!", indicating towels spread on the floor. None of us dared to argue. It was like a combined scene from a Barbara Woodhouse training film and Last of the Summer Wine. Some minutes later, having divested ourselves of wet coats and having been towelled down, we were allowed to enter the kitchen where we spent an hour gently steaming with hot coffee, the paper, the wonderful odour of drying dog and watching the rain continue to lash down, none of which improved my humour which could best be described as 'grumpy'. Crosswords and sudoku done, SWMBO demanded, "What are we doing today?" Sarcasm welled up in my throat but having been well trained throughout my married life it came out as, "Oh, I think we'll have a day in, dear". There followed a few hours of mundane chores before we settled, Doreen to an afternoon film and me to the computer. The weather had not improved. I opened a few e-mails and was just considering the contents of one, which was encouraging me to buy a '4 in 1 Solar Bird Hotel', when we suffered a power cut.
Now one of the delights of living where we are is the wonderful vagaries of having electricity delivered by overhead power lines. Power cuts are far more common than in urban areas and vary from a short glitch of a few minutes to being without power for a number of days. Being well organised, of course, we are prepared for such an eventuality and can disconnect from the mains supply and plug into a generator which gives us heat, light and use of most of our appliances. After half an hour it was apparent that any repairs to the lines were going to take a while. That was when I heard the word, "Well!". Is it just with married couples that so much can be conveyed and understood from the emphasis placed on one word. I realised that it was pointless prevaricating. It was time to go and get wet again. Cables were replugged and in minutes our reliable generator had burst into life, on the first pull of the starter cord. I walked through the door wet but triumphant and stated, "There you are dear!" The reply was, "Stay! Stand on those!" As I began to dry out I was rewarded for my efforts with a cup of tea and a choccy bickie. I had just finished both when the power went off as the generator died. Now, even worse than hearing the one word statement is hearing the one word question, "Why?". The obvious implication is that I've done, or not done, something and it's my fault. Back to the wet coat and rain, check fuel in generator - ok, check oil level - not ok. Low oil means machine cuts off. Find spare oil and fill machine, then pull starter cord with full confidence. I was left with a starter cord handle, six inches of very frayed cord and a generator that hadn't started - Oops! It was at this stage that I grumped out, kicked the generator and stomped back indoors, declaring as I did so, "Don't say a bloody word!"
We resorted to using our back up lights and the gas heater we'd bought earlier in the year for the Dandy and settled down to playing cards and doing some damage to a bottle of single malt. I was in much better humour by the time we went to bed. I was still in a good mood next morning when the dog alarm clock got me up. Then I looked out the window and saw that it was still raining and blowing like stink - Oh well!

Steve
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

i'm getting very fed up with these weather people, i read the 24 hour forecast for my area on sky text and it said rain tomorrow then i looked at the five day forecast - on the same channel - and it said something totally different!!!!

i give up, i really do lol
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:52 am

well to say it rained overnight would be an understatement, and we had a gale blowing lol so bad in fact that i had to shut the window as i was frightened that the wind would catch it and rip it off affraid

still dark so i haven't seen the damage to the trees around me yet but i figure there will be several branches lying around today
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

What a great day for camping here,sun is shining its mild no wind,just given the transit cover a quick wash.
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:13 pm

have to say sky lookin v blue here too -temp a bit low but glorious sunshine here
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:05 pm

It was lovely and bright earlier and a bit windy so I put my big curtains in the washer as they would have dried in no time but since then and now on the final rinse the wind has picked up - A LOT and there are large drops of rain. Evil or Very Mad
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:30 pm

The weather has been horrible today, strong winds and very very heavy rain. On the news tonight we have apparently had tornado's in the North West.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 5:02 am