Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hi I am a newbie.

abc5575

Hi I am a newbie.

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Think i put my hi in the wrong place.lol
We have just bought a 1990 Dandy Designer, which needs a lot of tlc, plus a front box, and some buttons for the elastic. and a new table. Any help would be appreciated.
We are in the North East. Thanks.
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Hi I am a newbie.

Post by mike on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

to the forum hope you enjoy your new toy,most of us use cif cream cleaner use it neat and a small area at a time and then polish with mr sheen,the bungee buttons you can get from trailer spares outlets depends where you live which one but by post towsure may have them.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 6:30 pm

Just add front boxes are very rare i can only suggest you watch ebay, if you dont need the table to make the 5th bed up any pedestal table may fit or even a picnic table.

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

Hi Mike. Thanks for the lovely welcome.
I am ok with the jif, it is the seats that I am worried about, as they are Grimey.
We dont need the table for the extra bed, as there is just the 2 of us, and the dog.
The front box, my O/H can make, as he has done it before when we had the last Dandy.
Just thought that if there were any, we would maybe save time.
It hasn't got an awning, but we saw a Dandy on ebay, that was using a Scenic porch awning. Would this be ok with a Designer? Thanks again.x

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:06 pm

lol. showing my age calling it Jif.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

abc5575 wrote:lol. showing my age calling it Jif.

I did wonder about jif,the upholstery side the only thing we have ever used in motor homes ect is the old fashion star drops and wiped the fabric with it,if you can hang on till Helen gets back its more in her line

mike

Let me come back to you tomorrow about the awning as i need to find one on line and look at it.

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Thanks , will wait for Helen. Must admit, all the other Dandy's had nice upholstery, but we only had 1 blue one, which was a 92 model, but had seen little use.
Think that might even have to have the seats recovered, will see, maybe jumping the gun.
This one is winterized, the 92 wasn't.

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

Thanks for checking the awning for me.
Our first Dandy was a 6, and was big enough without the awning, all the rest had the awning,
I know some people find the Dandy awning a pain, but my O/H always managed to put it ok, almost on his own, as I have trouble with elbows.
However, we are hoping to have gas struts fitted later on.
Wouldn't care, I bought some camping stuff earlier in the year, including toilet, toilet tent and stand alone awning, but I sold them, typical.lol. The awning was blue.
I was thinking of using the awning with the caravan, as it was larger than our Bradcot porch, but changed my mind. Now we are starting all over again.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:54 pm

great to hear experianced Dandy so we can pick your brain with the upholstery you could ( if you like the colour you got) and have time un pick a seam wash on cold wash replace then sew back up or like some of us re- upholster or have some throws to go over makes it cosy

Last edited by Caz1960 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm

hi there and to the forum

if you can put pics of the seats then perhaps people can give more ideas to help you

so glad to welcome yet another dandier to our clan

you'll find lots of tips and hints on here from some very experienced dandiers Smile
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

Hi and abc5575

You could try a wet and dry vacuum cleaner on your cushions to freshen them up.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

Hello and

I agree, a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment should help with the seats.

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome Caz, Ellis and Phoenix.
Haven't took any pics of Dandy yet, as we just picked it up at lunch time, and it is now on my brother's drive.
I would opt for the throws anyway, as we have the dog, but O/H is 'finicky'.
This Dandy has been to a lot of Rock festivals, etc, Just needs to be refreshed.
My O/H is brilliant with a sewing-machine, and made all the curtains and liners for the other Dandies.
We loved the 6, which we named Brummel. He went to live on Orkney.
This Dandy, now named Desmond, smells nice, just looks grubby, though he does have new carpet.
We won't be using the under-floor heater, as remember the yelps when the dog got his claw stuck in the other one. he is a wuss, and shouts before he is really hurt. Smile
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

Have you seen this thread on caravan awnings [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:54 pm

Lovely to have another new member, especially an experienced one. Expect to be brain picked! Don't forget to get yourselves on the member's map. As for upholstery cleaning advice, I'm not even going to try. I've been married long enough to just say "Yes Dear!" and use whatever I'm given.

Steve

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

Hi all. Thanks for the welcome Steve.
Also thanks for the link Mike, will have a look soon.
Well, went up to clean out Desmond, and to have a proper look at him.
The upholstery isn't as bad as thought, bed and seat is ok, really just the 4 cushions that make up the 2 seats. Tonight i have tried the carpet foam, not much better to look at, but they smell much nicer.
I have spent 4 hours cleaning him, while O/H sat to work on repairs. He had been put awy wrong in the past, and the bit that i call the back, which O/H calls the front, i.e the glass window bit, was leaning in, so he has adjusted the hinge etc.
The gas pipe is dated 1991, so think that we will change it.lol
Also think that we will change tyres, trad is fine, but there are some fine crack in the walls.
Anybody know reasonable price tyres on Tyneside?
I am quite surprised at how spacious the Designer is, even if some of it is lost to the wheel arches.
I find myself worrying about standing on the part that covers the heater, thinking that i will break it. I will get used to it.
Took ages to clean the cover, as it had been standing under trees for along time.
But we are getting there cheers Now to find, toilet, toilet tent, tyres, awning etc etc etc.
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm

Tyres and gas pipe renewal are a really sensible start to your re-furb' plan, along with checking the rest of the running gear like brakes and wheel bearings. No doubt just some of the jobs your OH will have on his list. As for Porta Pottis, well, there's already been a good thread running re' needs, types, sizes etc.

What I'm going to throw in now may be a bit contentious but do you really need an awning? Our first Designer came with a sun canopy and we spent a goodly amount of money having it converted by Dandy into an awning with a roof, two separate sides and a front. Having spent the money we felt duty bound to use it regularly but to be honest I hated the damn thing and the amount of effort that went into putting it up and nailing it down. Then there was the ground sheet and other 'awningy' items we put in there.
Our second Dandy was a Destiny (6berth) and it was plenty big enough without an awning, although we did use a couple of windbreaks to coral the dogs.
Third Dandy is another Designer which came complete with awning and which, to date, has been used once. (Just enough to resurrect the feelings I had about the first one.) It doesn't even get carried with us as nearly all our trips are for just two or three days and we can certainly make do without for that period. We do have underbed skirts which are great for storage and, more to the point, are easy to put on. They also block those big gaps that the wind whistles through when you're sat out.

To my mind a 2m square utility tent is a better option. Light in weight, easy to erect, fairly cheap, a good store, big enough to cook in if you so desire, even big enough to sit in if the sun's too hot. If it is sunny it's nice to sit out but if it's wet, windy and/or cold I'll be found sat inside the Dandy, or preferably laid down inside the Dandy. I don't want to sit in a cool awning watching the condensation form.

OK, Grump over. Time to get down off my soap box now. I make too much of a target up here. Who's going to be the first to chuck something back?

Steve
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:10 am

Owd Lad wrote:Tyres and gas pipe renewal are a really sensible start to your re-furb' plan, along with checking the rest of the running gear like brakes and wheel bearings. No doubt just some of the jobs your OH will have on his list. As for Porta Pottis, well, there's already been a good thread running re' needs, types, sizes etc.

What I'm going to throw in now may be a bit contentious but do you really need an awning? Our first Designer came with a sun canopy and we spent a goodly amount of money having it converted by Dandy into an awning with a roof, two separate sides and a front. Having spent the money we felt duty bound to use it regularly but to be honest I hated the damn thing and the amount of effort that went into putting it up and nailing it down. Then there was the ground sheet and other 'awningy' items we put in there.
Our second Dandy was a Destiny (6berth) and it was plenty big enough without an awning, although we did use a couple of windbreaks to coral the dogs.
Third Dandy is another Designer which came complete with awning and which, to date, has been used once. (Just enough to resurrect the feelings I had about the first one.) It doesn't even get carried with us as nearly all our trips are for just two or three days and we can certainly make do without for that period. We do have underbed skirts which are great for storage and, more to the point, are easy to put on. They also block those big gaps that the wind whistles through when you're sat out.

To my mind a 2m square utility tent is a better option. Light in weight, easy to erect, fairly cheap, a good store, big enough to cook in if you so desire, even big enough to sit in if the sun's too hot. If it is sunny it's nice to sit out but if it's wet, windy and/or cold I'll be found sat inside the Dandy, or preferably laid down inside the Dandy. I don't want to sit in a cool awning watching the condensation form.

OK, Grump over. Time to get down off my soap box now. I make too much of a target up here. Who's going to be the first to chuck something back?

Steve

I generally agree with you, we rarely use our awnings for the exact reasons you mention, but we do use our awning roof as a sun canopy. We also have a small utility tent, but as many sites charge extra to put it up, and I'm the Queen of mean, we won't pay extra and make do without it. Many sites allow awnings on 'trailer tents' as part of the standard fee, where as an awning on a caravan or campervan is extra, so that is another consideration over a utility tent. But if like us, you camp at car shows and rallies, it makes no difference to the price.

We've recently bought an 80's Dandy to go with our campervan, to use a an awning to sleep in, because it goes up quicker, is better in the wind and is more comfy than the campervan awning. And because we sleep in it and the camper then becomes a day van, we don't incur any extra charges, we also have the bonus of using the Dandy awning for free as well if we ever needed or wanted to, so we get the van, the Dandy and potentially the Dandy awning all for the standard fee, but how is that any different to having a big car?

That's enough of my waffle, I'm sure I deviated somewhere and forgotten my thought trail, lol! must be bed time.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

The awnings an odd argument. As per abc's argument they are heavy but Cazz's old green Dandy's awning is so much easier to erect. The two awnings are so different.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:29 am

Tow Itch wrote: The awnings an odd argument. As per abc's argument they are heavy but Cazz's old green Dandy's awning is so much easier to erect. The two awnings are so different.

Totally agree with this, the green one is far easier to put up compared to our brown one.

But we do find when at car shows etc, we don't need to use the awning as we have enough room in the 5, and we're not at the Dandy much because we're looking round the show and sat with the car.

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:45 pm

Hi all. Thanks for replying.
As we mainly camp with NETTFG, we mainly camp at farm sites. So the toilet is a must>
Re the awning, it is mainly to put the dog in, while I am cooking, as his is always underfoot.lol.
We were thinking that in the meantime, we could use our 2 berth pop-up tent, to store stuff in.
As I mentioned yesterday, the floor-space in Desmond, is spacious compared to the dart, so maybe ok for awhile.
We sent Riva an email this morning, asking what the correct wheel and tyre is for the 90 Designer, as the book that the man gave us, obviously was from a newer model.
Haven't heard back from Riva, but in the past on several occasions, sent them emails, and never once got a reply. Anybody with a 90 Designer who could advise on this. Would be grateful for the help. Thanks. Smile
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:30 pm

What is NETTFG?

Re the wheel and tyre: The wheel is a 10" wheel the pressings are a more modern plain pressing than the original Mini scalloped shape but are still on 4" PCD (NOT 100mm {Metric 4"=101.6mm}) not sure of the offsets but these are easily measured.
The tyre will be a 145/80 R10 I think a standard 4 ply radial has a load rating of 63 or 64 so is adequate for a 500Kg load. Reinforced or additional ply tyres are available and some users are keen on this as reassurance.
If your looking at the economy end it tends to be Crossplys or Bias Belted tyres that are offered. The original Dandys rode on these 520/10 tyres though by 1990 radials were standard. The Crossply and Bias Belted tyres tend to have a higher load rating and also are higher in profile helping reduce the tail down stance that now occurs as tow hitches got higher.
Bias Belted are like Crossplys but with an additional longitudinal ply. The nature of both of these tyres means that the side wall deformation is not as obvious as Radials. You may only find the Crossplys and Bias Belted in 510 or 500 sizes your tyre fitter will confirm but I think these sizes are suitable. the one downside to Crossplys is that there speed rating is not as high, if your strictly UK 60MPH only this may be OK but if your of leaden foot or tow in France with a an 81MPH limit then the speed rating may not be up to your requirements.
See:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 7:06 pm

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Hi Tow hitch, thanks very much for info on wheels and tyres, it is a great help.

The NETTFG is the North East trailer tent and folding camper group, which is a special interest part of C& CC club. If you can look up this on website, on the page for North East is a pic of our last Dandy, complete with the front box which O/H made. Think he will be making one for Desmond.

Thankyou Vickoir for my lovely welcome.
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

abc5575 wrote:Hi Tow hitch, thanks very much for info on wheels and tyres, it is a great help.

The NETTFG is the North East trailer tent and folding camper group, which is a special interest part of C& CC club. If you can look up this on website, on the page for North East is a pic of our last Dandy, complete with the front box which O/H made. Think he will be making one for Desmond.

Thankyou Vickoir for my lovely welcome.

we are in north east too but got our new tyres delivered from black circle online and got them fitted for a fiver each at our local tyrespot that was cheapest we could get

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:57 am