Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hi From jacob8

jacob8

Re: Hi From jacob8

Post by jacob8 on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Hi, i have just bom joined the dandy campers. I would like to know if there is a dandy dart for sale? I have never towed before, how do people get on?
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

jacob8 wrote: Hi, i have just bom joined the dandy campers. I would like to know if there is a dandy dart for sale? I have never towed before, how do people get on?

check out the dandys for sale thread, members post links on there all the time.
also depends what you are towing with but dandys are so light with a bit of practice and care you should find towing a breeze
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum ...... the thing about Dandys, they tow really well so you hardly know they are there.
bgarston

Hi From jacob8

Post by bgarston on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

jacob8 wrote: Hi, i have just bom joined the dandy campers. I would like to know if there is a dandy dart for sale? I have never towed before, how do people get on?

Lucie and I hadn't towed before last year. Both of us had parents that had towed so we had a fair idea of the principles. In a straight line the trailer just trails behind. With our unit we have to mindful as it is wider than the car which probably won't be an issue with smaller Dandy's. Everything else is the same as driving solo except you'll just have to take corners a little wider, generally allow yourself more time to slow down (because of the extra weight) and anticipate the other idiots on the road.

I think people get hung up most about reversing. Again his isn't an issue really and is a case of practice makes perfect. If you are unsure practice in a disused car park on a Sunday and/or book ourself on a practical trailer course: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Other things to think about:
Can you tow said trailer with your car given what type of driving licence you have. look at this for more info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some speed limits are different if you are towing, look here for more info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Remember, on the motorway you must not drive over 60 mph or use the right-hand (fast) lane on motorways of three or more lanes - It is an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is towing a trailer.

Check your roadside recovery service will recover your vehicle if it's towing a trailer.

Hope this helps and I've not put you off, it really is very easy.

Ben

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm

I split the thread so people can see a new member saying hello easily and welcome you properly. Very Happy

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:26 am

to the forum dont worry about towing take it steady and its easy,reversing is another matter easy but a knack you need to learn,the short trailers are the most difficult because by the time you see the trailer turning the wrong way its too late and you have to start again,even some people who can reverse caravans struggle with short trailers,but with it being short and light its easy to push you may never bother to learn to reverse.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

Reversing ....... well we never really got the hang of it, fluked it a couple of times but we mostly get it all wrong so bought a pulling handle and it's brilliant for positioning and turning the Dandy easily. We bought one after seeing the one in the link below and haven't looked back since - pardon the pun. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:38 pm

Jacob are you looking at a Dart because that is the only one you know about (Like not everyone realises not all Reliants aren't Robins)are you looking at a Dart because you have not towed before and you think your safest to start off with the smallest, or have you looked at them all and decided the Dart is the one for you?
I think looking at them all is the best course of action. What number of people will it have to cater for? How do intend to use it weekends/weeks away and countless other parameters will (or should) affect your decision.
If your bothered about towing and you live in the North West you can happily tow any of mine.
A brief outline of the range: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Why do you think you want a Dandy? I think they're great but much happier if you didn't buy a Dandy than bought one for the wrong reasons.

Reversing; the rear entry Dandys (o'er) are not that short that they preclude reversing and the longer ones are even easier. If I can reverse a Dandy it can't be that hard!
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

as for reversing WHY? I must admit I get out and turn her around facing the right direction then move the car found the Dandy what ever size good to tow as they are low and very responsive the warning is to REMEMBER she is there!! great fun to be had and years of enjoyment
MrsG

Post by MrsG on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:20 am

Welcome to the mad house Jake cheers
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:00 pm

welcome to the forum i hope we can be useful to you Very Happy

i cannot reverse my Dandy even following the reversing guide lines i think my dandy has a mind of its own,but they are so easy to manoeuvre by hand its quicker to just pull/push into position than messing about reversing.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm

Hi and jacob8

Don't worry about towing, if its hitched on properly it will just follow you. Just don't take the corners too tight, pretend you are driving a lorry. As far as reversing practise makes perfect, but even the old hands get it wrong sometimes. Go slow, don't be afraid to shunt and ignore the on lookers. They can't do it either!!! lol!
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:22 pm

Phoenix wrote:Hi and jacob8

Don't worry about towing, if its hitched on properly it will just follow you. Just don't take the corners too tight, pretend you are driving a lorry. As far as reversing practise makes perfect, but even the old hands get it wrong sometimes. Go slow, don't be afraid to shunt and ignore the on lookers. They can't do it either!!! lol!

Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

Hello and

We also had never towed until nearly three years ago, but as everyone has said, know the laws, take your time and enjoy it. Very Happy Regards reversing, when I'm driving the campervan, I can't actually see the Dandy, except when going round corners, so I don't do it. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Feb 2018, 5:26 am