Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Watch your electrics

Krist0n

Watch your electrics

Post by Krist0n on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:17 am

On our 1st camping trip in the Dandy in April I heard a fizz and a crackle come from the mains inlet on the side of the Dandy when I plugged the mains in. I struggled a tiny bit to keep the electricity connected, but after a little wiggle everything was fine. Thought nothing more of it. All during that week the fuse box kept tripping a switch. It was 0 degrees outside so the heating was on in the Dandy, and the heater was on in the awning, but this still shouldn't have been enough to trip the 10amp supply, but with this been our 1st time camping with electric didn't worry, just kept flicking the switch.

Our 2nd holiday last month in Co.Durham, we had the same problem. Getting it connected in the 1st place was a real struggle. Didn't trip quite as much throughout the week though, as the 1st holiday. When we packed up to come home, I couldn't get the plug out of the side of the Dandy. It took a hell of a lot of twisting, pulling, grunting and groaning, with a little cursing too. I think the cursing helped loads. Anyway, I realised, once it came out, that we were close to catching fire affraid So if you here a fizz and a crackle coming from your electrics, don't ignoe it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Above is the rear/inside of the mains inlet which is situated under the seating. The brown lumpy bits obviously aren't supposed to be there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Above is the mains inlet from the front.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Above is the plug.
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Watch your electrics

Post by mike on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Frightening

abc5575

Post by abc5575 on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

Hi Krist0n, I was just wondering what power the heaters were, and if you had anything else plugged in.

It is strange that this happened. Makes me worry.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 6:43 pm

abc5575 wrote:Hi Krist0n, I was just wondering what power the heaters were, and if you had anything else plugged in.

It is strange that this happened. Makes me worry.

Would have expected the problem to be in the plug or mains unit rather than what was being used
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:04 pm

I'm curious as to what load the heaters were. 10 amp should give 2.3Kw technically or 2.4Kw on normal voltage so I'm curious what the two heaters added up to. Now a micro circuit breaker will allow over the stated 10amp (I was looking for a graph it will carry 12amp or 13 amp for a considerable time) but I am curious as to the demand.
I agree that the problem was not the demand but the nature of the contact. The cabling is for 16amp that is a a sizeable amount of energy. If contacts aren't clean and there is signs of burning things don't get better they don't mend themselves.
Full credit to KirstOn for being open and honest. So now thanks to him if you hear fizzing or see a scorch mark on plugs you know you need to be cleaning or replacing the plugs and sockets.
jake001

Post by jake001 on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

I think that the problem begins with the poor quality of the connectors, at around £3 retail they are not going to be made to the highest spec. Wear and corrosion take their toll and you end up with high resistance contacts generating heat causing further deterioration creating more heat and so on in an avalanche effect until you can see the smoke affraid

My recommendations:-

Visually check fixed and free connectors for corrosion/ overheating before and after use

If an any doubt replace (if competent) or get expert assistance, new connectors are cheap (that's the problem)

Ensure that everything is switched off when connecting/disconnecting, this will prevent arcing and sparking at the connectors.

Connect at Dandy first and then at box, the box is usually easier to get to for quicker connection, and you are not walking across a wet field carrying a live connector affraid

IF IN DOUBT REPLACE IT
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

Looks like you had a lucky escape Kriston ....... thank goodness your all okay and thanks for posting the warning and the pictures Smile
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

You were very lucky there, I'm glad everyone was ok. Thanks for posting the pics and your experience.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:53 pm

As suggested, I think it's more to do with the actual connection than what was being used. It sometimes tripped out using just a kettle, and other times we could have both heaters, all lights, and a kettle on. The heaters used though, for the curious, are a small convecter heater from argos (2KW). And the inbuilt fan heater that was supplied when built by Ian in 2006. The kettle is just a standard kettle from Tesco, so that can be quite high, but still not enough in those 3 items to trip a 10 amp site mains.
jake001

Post by jake001 on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

Krist0n wrote:As suggested, I think it's more to do with the actual connection than what was being used. It sometimes tripped out using just a kettle, and other times we could have both heaters, all lights, and a kettle on. The heaters used though, for the curious, are a small convecter heater from argos (2KW). And the inbuilt fan heater that was supplied when built by Ian in 2006. The kettle is just a standard kettle from Tesco, so that can be quite high, but still not enough in those 3 items to trip a 10 amp site mains.

By my calculations you were lucky that it switched on at all Shocked
Each 2Kw heater at full power will take in excess of 8A, two and you are up to max for a 16A EHU, add a standard kettle at 2-3Kw and you double that.
If the heaters have thermostats they will not always switch on at the same time and so will not always trip the circuit breaker, also many 2Kw heaters have a two position switch which allows you to use only 1Kw, if set to the 1 position then both could be used together without overload on a 10A EHU (but don't use the kettle at the same time)

As a very rough guide for all the non-technical people out there, if you work on 4A per kilowatt you will not be far out Smile

Biker

Post by Biker on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

I agree with Jake on the loading issue, but also take into consideration that if a lot of people are on the ring at once you may get a voltage drop which will cause the ampage drawn to rise. Shocked
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

Biker wrote:I agree with Jake on the loading issue, but also take into consideration that if a lot of people are on the ring at once you may get a voltage drop which will cause the ampage drawn to rise. Shocked

Though Volts X Amps = Watts

The controlling mechanism is that Volts = Current (Amps) X Resistance.

So as the voltage drops the resistance remains constant so the current also drops resulting in less power.

I did the calculations when we were talking about an oven from Aldi.

Tow Itch wrote: Well as Jake says we're notionally now on 230 volts but the electricity supply is still 240 volts because that is within spec and if the power companies reduced voltages they would end up selling less electric. If the supply got down to 225 volts it would still be within spec as that is now 230v +/- 10%.

What actually happens is that the item will actually consume less power as well on a lower voltage. To illistrate I'll show the reverse condition.

When we start to get 230v rated appliances and they are run at 240v

Volts = Current X Resistance normally expressed as V=IR
If V increases from 230 to 240 The resistance doesn't change so I changes so I2= I1 X 240/230
So I increases by 4.35%

Then Watts = Volts X Amps so both the Voltage and the current have increased in the ratio 240/230 so the total power is up by 8.9%

So in effect the 3KW 230v electric fire is now running at 3.27KW

Good job incandescent bulbs are being phased out they would need changing nearly twice as often as the increase in voltage would reduce their life to 55% of design.

For future reference Mike. I'm an untrained amateur at this. Please direct future points to Jake and Vicky both are infinitely more qualified. They would know off the top of their heads what I have to struggle with and look up.

Bet you have known this all along it;s just a conspiracy to see me struggle.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

Did you unwind the hook up lead or did you leave it coiled up. It is vital to unwind it or it can overheat and that heat can travel up the cable to the hook up plug and socket. The cables are copper and that conducts heat very well.

Before plugging in, have look at the plug & socket for any signs of overheating or cracks. You only have to look at it.

And that load was way too much for 10A. Just the kettle is 10A. Unplug the heaters when you plug the kettle in. Restrict yourself to 1 2kW heater on full or 2 on 1kW setting.

It must have smelt a bit funny as well.
John

Post by John on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

A loose connection will generate heat and cause the damage shown,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:38 am