Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Awning Advice

The Admiral

Awning Advice

Post by The Admiral on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

We have been using our new awning at Tewksbury this weekend and it's been brilliant Smile However on Saturday morning after some heavy rain overnight we noticed that quite a lot of water had pooled on the roof. Is there something we've done wrong when putting it up or is this to be expected?
I've sent a PM to Helen, but in her absence I wondered if anyone else might know, particularly as they've forecast heavy rain again for tonight (just for a change!)
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Awning Advice

Post by mike on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

The Admiral wrote:We have been using our new awning at Tewksbury this weekend and it's been brilliant Smile However on Saturday morning after some heavy rain overnight we noticed that quite a lot of water had pooled on the roof. Is there something we've done wrong when putting it up or is this to be expected?
I've sent a PM to Helen, but in her absence I wondered if anyone else might know, particularly as they've forecast heavy rain again for tonight (just for a change!)

Its often just getting enough tension and making sure there is not enough slack for it to form a pool.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm

We had the newer model to yours, and that often pooled on the roof, but we always camped in wind, rain and general bad weather. As Mike says, make sure the roof is tight by raising the legs and using all the ropes. Have you seen the pole shape of the very new model? Clearly a common problem
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

We tightened things up on Saturday, and it seemed to stop it as it rained overnight but there wasn't any pooling. Whilst I'm on any suggestions as to how to dry off a sopping wet awning which is currently sitting in the bath! We had an horrendous take down this morning the awning, Minnie and both of us got absolutely soaking wet!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 3:41 pm

If you can drape it outside tomorrow so long as you keep refolding it shouldn't take long to dry,some folks hang them over the bannister
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

We've had much experience of drying wet awning's, we've hung it over the banister, hung it on an over bath airier, draped it over the sofa or floor over night - although putting towels or old sheet down first is a good idea, we've also draped it over the bed, as said, keep it turning and folding dry bit to dry bit so it keeps getting smaller.

We have had to dry ours inside because we don't have a back garden to put it up in or washing line to hang it on.

If it was to be put back up, it wouldn't matter if it takes days to dry out, keeping the air round it is the important thing. What a Face

I now remember why we wanted a Dandy for campervan instead of an awning. lol!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:38 am

Hi Jayne,

we camped in the most horrible wind and rain and no you shouldn't be getting pooling at all. If you find it difficult to get it tensioned correctly using the guys (it all depends on the ground and any sloping however slight) pull out the sides of the awning (only the two middle elastics of the cover sides and not the poles) and peg down. As for drying it we used to just stick it over the whirly washing line and leave it until it was dry, the roof isn't canvas so shouldn't take long to dry off and the sides are not the heaviest of canvas's
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

even if you wipe it down with a damp cloth I have an old terry nappy(clean) it drys very quick flower
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm

Caz1960 wrote:even if you wipe it down with a damp cloth I have an old terry nappy(clean) it drys very quick flower

It's not a Dandy awning Caz numbers. But I'm pleased your nappy is clean. lol!
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm

What a Face oh fanks Embarassed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm