Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

New Dandy Owners!

Jenevans

New Dandy Owners!

Post by Jenevans on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm

Hi,

We have just purchased a Brown Dandy 5 from ebay (the one that was for sale in Wigan). I am very excited about doing it up and using it to camp this summer. It is a bit of a project the fabric was mouldy so new cushion covers,and new curtains, we have taken the carpet up and will replace will vinyl, and paint the trailer, doors and inside woodwork. I will try and post some photos of the before and after.

Any restorations tips welcome Very Happy
Also will be after a fridge or electronic coolbox thats quiet?
We have a leisure battery, and am not sure how much power this holds, guess we will need to buy a hook up at some point?
Can anyone recommend a good awning that works with the Dandy 5? (unfortuately it didn't come with the original)We will need a good size awaning for children + dog to run around!

Lots of great info and ideas in this site, looking at the enthusiasm for Dandys here encouraged us to purchase a Dandy over the other trailer tents we were looking at.

Thanks,
Jenny.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: New Dandy Owners!

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

Hello Jenny

So you bought [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dandy awnings see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For restoration tips see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but most wont want to do as much as Phoenix.

For fabric mods see Helen's posts.

Quiet or silent fridges: 3 way fridges or freezers are silent but not cheap even second hand. The electric coolboxes are reasonably quiet but it depends how hard you find it to sleep. Try and listen to someone's. The leisure battery wont power it though. So it's a hook up or running a 3 way off gas.

Generally just dive in and read.
Any questions ask.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:25 am

on getting your dandy,the only thing i would add to Kevins post is whilst coolboxes are not quiet you would most likley be ok if you get an awning and keep it in there.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 7:18 am

This type may be the easiest to fit because of the large skirt that attaches to the dandy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

Hi and congratulations on your new Dandy

Welcome to the Dandy Campers forum
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

Never thought, how handy at sewing and other fabric based projects are you?
I've got a brown canvas awning that came off a trailer tent.
Offered it up but no interest, stuck it in my garage.
It's free to a good home about 9ft wide by 7ft deep.
It zipped onto the trailer tent but I cut a generous amount from the trailer tent to allow someone to devise an attachment to another camper.
The trailer tent was past it's best but the awning almost unused.
If you live near Wigan I'll let you pick it up or I'll even drop it off.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

Hi Jenny, and on your Dandy purchase.

That's a nice offer from Mr Itch regarding his available and brown awning. Regards a cool box, we personally find then noisy, but then we find a ticking clock load when trying to sleep, lol. We've got a 3 way fridge which is bulky but fab, we've had it for nearly 10 years now, and it's very useful to have the option of gas or mains, we often camp in the middle of no where, where there is no electric. And when we do have electric, we're not paying out for that and gas. The 12 volt power supply is more for when you're travelling, it will soon flatten your battery when the engine is not on.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

Hi and Jenevans.

On your Dandy purchase.

If you need any restoration tips just ask, there is plenty of good advice to be had on here.

Jenevans

Post by Jenevans on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the welcomes,

The project has started!!! We are painting the lovely brown/red door and window panel magnolia (sorry to the enthusiasts who like the original colours). We have painted the interior the same and brought 37 pounds worth of fabric to cover the cushions! (a nice green) We have also brought some lino from B&Q.

Tow Itch, that is the one we brought, its wasn't in great condition but think we payed an OK price for it, and the PVC is all good. Thank-you very much for the kind offer of an awning, we are not near that near wigan unfortuantly, but could possibly come over after we get back from our first trip, We are planning to head down to Cornwall with the Dandy tomorrow (stopping in Bristol on the way to see family and finish the painting) we have very itchy feet and want to get off asap, especially as trhe weather forcast is good.

Phenoix looks like an amazing restoration job but we are not that talented or thorough!

Will try to get some pics on soon, is it wasy to upload them here?

Thanks for the advise re coolboxes/fridges, think we will look into the 3 way, let me know if you see a cheap second hand one anywhere,

thanks again, Jenny
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

had a peak and understand why the need for paint as it's very dark in there.... have a great time and can't wait to see your pictures

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 25 May 2018, 3:51 am