Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models.

Biker
Biker

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. Empty Building a Dandy gas locker - all models.

Post by Biker on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:34 am

Although I usually work in Imperial measure I will do this in metric.

First a piece of WBP plywood 877mmx305mm and 12mm thick is needed for the base, WBP is external ply and stands for Water and Boil Proof.
You will also need 2 off 2.4m lengths of 20mmx20mm softwood.

Cut two pieces off the 20mmx20mm to 877mm long and glue and screw with 30mm screws to the long edges of the base. Make sure they are flush at the sides and do not overhang the ends, if a little shorter do not worry as this will not show when finished.
So now you should have some thing like the photo below

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now cut two pieces for the ends that fit between the sides and flush with the bottom edge, then glue and screw them in place. Now you will need to fit any divider timbers into the bottom and these will differ depending on what you fit into your locker. Mine is made to take two 7kg gas bottles and a leisure battery plus hookup cables and small items such as water pump etc.

You should after putting in your partitions end up with something like this.

Right that is the first part complete, I have stained mine but it is not really necessary it is just to taste, and I did use some used timber.

Now we have to consider the hight of the locker, if you use the smaller bottles well you can reduce the height and also those of you who wish to fit it to a Dandy 6 will have to make sure of the amount of space between the bed when open and the A frame. I will make mine 535mm high this will allow either a PVC top, PVC top with board under or for those who are feeling daring a fully hinged and lockable top. Of course again this is your choice given what you think the level of your skill is.
Please note people building for a Dandy 6 will not be able to have the Hinged top model.

Now as to materials. Obviously all timber you will get from your local diy, consider having it cut to size as it will make life easier.

The plastic laminate on the sides either grey for the Dandy 6 owners or white for the other models, unless of course you want grey in any case comes from here and is 1.5mm in thickness

The white seems a little expensive so I will try a bit more searching.

Ventilation of the locker is very important and there are many ways of doing it I have cut some 6" diameter holes beneath the gas bottles and then I will fix some expanded alloy to keep the little animals out. Or you could fix the caravan type round ones using a hole saw.

The clamp is made of two pieces of 9mm softwood or plywood one 10mm narrower than the other, glued together and two 6mm roofing bolts with wing nuts fitted through the base.There is a lock nut fitted to stop them falling through the bottom when removing the battery.

Aluminum punched metal is used for the vent grilles, this was from Ebay and cost £4.81 inc p&p. You may staple it on or just fix it with carpet tacks.

Now for the side which are the same length as the base (877mm) the two side corner reinforce rs are 32mm shorter than the height and the against flush with the edge the top on fit between the two side ones flush with the edge, as the photo shows, make two identical.

When the glue has set fix the end panels on making sure that you have two unit exactly the same and not handed, the sides will be the width of the base and as tall as you want your unit, mine were 535mm high.

Glue and pin on the ends to the sides.

Now you have two L shaped side pieces, put the base on the floor or other flat surface, and place the first side piece into position, and check that the long side is flush at the end and the side overlaps by 6mm or more. Mine actually overlapped quite a way as I cut my sides and ends from a 1220x1220mm (4x4) sheet of 6mm ply and trimmed off the excess later.

Make sure all edges align then glue and pin the first side/end panel in place. Do the same with the second side piece and now you nearly have a box . Cut two pieces of 20mmx20mm to 265mm long ( this is305-2x20mm=265mm) Clamp these to the top of the side pieces and then you can glue and pin the sides in place to finalize the box section. Trim the excess from the side panels when all has set.

When you have reached the above point you can do one of three things finish at this point and just add the soft cover or fix a ply drop on top and a soft cover or go the full way to a full blown locker with latches and locks, the choice is completely yours.

I will show how to make the cover at the end

Now pin the top on and clean up all the edges with glass paper, and now to cut the top off the box. I am cutting at an angle with a power saw but you can do it the easier way by cutting say 75mm all around the top to make a smaller square cut top piece.

This is the locker fitted and ready to coat in GRP resin.

This is the unit coated up with polyester resin and awaiting its final fittings.

The polyester resin finish came out very well indeed, and would be my choice, although it is a bit messy.

Last edited by Helen on Thu 16 May 2013, 10:16 pm; edited 18 times in total (Reason for editing : Made sticky)
Caz1960
Caz1960

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. Empty Re: Building a Dandy gas locker - all models.

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 1710857839 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 1710857839 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 1710857839 absolutely brilliant think for my 6 I will but a piano hinge on the front side so i can get into it but great pictures and brilliant instructions Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. Empty Re: Building a Dandy gas locker - all models.

Post by Phoenix on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

Great pictures and instructions. Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 2170595768

We are debating what make of engine the 2nd job of the day was.
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:26 am

Cazz it does not take much to alter for a 6 if you want it front opening, I will post a sketch of how to do it at the end of the feature when I deal with all other modifications/addition.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

D'oh where did the engine picture go to?
Was going to plumb for something like the SRX 600 mill but with no side casings to go off wanted a second look at the components.
Might have been something smaller but can't remember what I saw. Definitely no electric starter mounting point but can't remember seeing a protruding shaft for a kickstart either.

Hint. I'm sure this box is just for the storage of the battery. If the battery were to be connected in situ it would need to be enclosed by solid board so separate compartments were formed. See part 11 of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Did you put any holes in the base to allow for the venting of any escaped gas?
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

Have cut my ventilator holes this morning was going to post tomorrow, as I am busy with my Yamaha sr 250 Motor rebuild.
Was also going to go into battery clamp and fumes from lead acid battery's.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

Biker wrote:Cazz it does not take much to alter for a 6 if you want it front opening, I will post a sketch of how to do it at the end of the feature when I deal with all other modifications/addition.

thanks looking forward to the rest Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

Up dated Tuesday, I am editing my first post so as to keep it all together.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:56 pm

brilliant and very clear to follow Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 2170595768
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

Looking good. Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 184121345 I can hear Phoenix and Dylan getting all excited, lol! Rolling Eyes
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:54 pm

Updated now we are really going.
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:50 am

Before I get too far into the finishing stage, I have decided to try a polyester resin finish with an off white colorant added. The idea being that there will be no cutting and fitting involved at all. Including quite a saving over the plastic finish. I will report back when I have completed mine, The actual unit is finished and ready to coat. Very Happy
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Nice to see Very Happy looks very smart
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

Biker

Cracking stuff.
It took me a while to work out how the battery clamp worked as I didn't correctly see the notch effect on the inside of the clamping rail.
I gather you would need to know the size of battery in advance and subsequently buy the same size.
Is there any hope in making a more L shaped clamp and putting the bolts through the long side so as the bolts were tightened it canted further over till at maxima it ended up being (bugger I can't find suitable keys) having the long side of the L canted over to nearly horizontal. Then pressed on the side of the battery casing?
Not trying to pick I can hypothesise all I want it only takes the press of a key. You are actually making the stuff.
As I always am with John's work well impressed.
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

ALL DONE.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

And well done Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 1428739134
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

Fitted and ready to go.

Looks as though I left my spacer in place will have to remove it before going on the road.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

Maybe a stupid question but how did you secure it?
Biker
Biker

Post by Biker on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

6mm roofing bolts and wing nuts I use these for joining my model railway boards together. I think some one asked how I made my table and I will get around to that as soon as I have finished the motorcycle I have half built in my workshop.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

Looks like a good job done. Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 2170595768

Thanks for the tips and pointers. I now have another couple of jobs to do according to Mrs P. lol!

One for Phoenix and one for Dylan!!
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

That look fab. Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 2170595768 I won't show Milo, he'll want one too and my skills aren't that skillful. Laughing

Looking forward to seeing Phoenix and Dylans. Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 3498837457
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:52 pm

Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 115684958 Just to say that the photos and instructions helps allot as I'm more "monkey see monkey do " also looking forward to the table Building a Dandy gas locker - all models. 2170595768
muzzy

Post by muzzy on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:03 am

Love the how too guide. Exellent work just a question as you say this will not work on a dandy 6. Do you have any suggestion as how this could be modded for a 6?

thanks in advance

Andy
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Thu 16 May 2013, 10:06 pm

Can we sticky this, I have just spent ages trying to find it again lol!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 May 2013, 10:16 pm

Sticky now Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 May 2019, 10:15 am