Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

number plate lights

vnuala

number plate lights

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Hi this may seem daft but is the dandy suppose to have lights above where your number plate goes like on a car or does it just light up from the side lights,i have a dandy 6 thanks guys.
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: number plate lights

Post by mike on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:14 pm

vnuala wrote:Hi this may seem daft but is the dandy suppose to have lights above where your number plate goes like on a car or does it just light up from the side lights,i have a dandy 6 thanks guys.

Mine has a separate light above the number plate.

mike
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

how do i put a light on it or can i do without as long as i dont tow at night ? thanks. Question
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

Don't know about the 6's but my Designer has number plate lights to either side. This is a bit odd as the three way Brake/Rear/Indicator arrangement is actually a 4 way light. The side of the rear light has a cut out to illuminate the numberplate. Now on a Designer and a six the distance from the light to the plate may be excessive. A plate moved nearer the light may suffice.
Do you have grommeted holes or otherwise to identify lights that were previously there?
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

Mine has 4 way lights so I have a square number plate up against one.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:55 pm

Phoenix has the four way lights, with the clear bits for the number plate lighting.

Dylan the 6 though has a separate chrome number plate light in the middle. The rear lights don't have the clear bits so wouldn't light the number plate up. As Mr Itch says they are too far away.

The 6's are wide boys and girls!!! lol!
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:59 pm

Phoenix wrote:Phoenix has the four way lights, with the clear bits for the number plate lighting.

Dylan the 6 though has a separate chrome number plate light in the middle. The rear lights don't have the clear bits so wouldn't light the number plate up. As Mr Itch says they are too far away.

The 6's are wide boys and girls!!! lol!
did you fit the chrome plate light or was it on Dylan when you got him ??
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

It was already on him.

Have you any holes where there was one?
Or do your rear lights have the clear bits in the sides?
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

Phoenix wrote:It was already on him.

Have you any holes where there was one?
Or do your rear lights have the clear bits in the sides?
it has the red triangle then underneath it has the red and orange light which is the indicators and brake light and then on the right hand side just beside the triangle is the fog lamp and thats all no clear bits or holes !!!!
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

Look on here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Scroll down a way to: Lens for Britax 9020

If they are the same lights as Dylan's you could get one of these lenses and put your number plate beside it like Shaun.
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:43 pm

Phoenix wrote:Look on here.

Scroll down a way to: Lens for Britax 9020

If they are the same lights as Dylan's you could get one of these lenses and put your number plate beside it like Shaun.
thanks ,,,,would i have to take the light off thats on and replace it with this one ? i am a complete novice ha ha can you put the number plate next to it or does it have to be central ? sorry for all the questions.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Are your lights that shape or this shape:

If they are this shape dig out a proper Britax approved distributor as some of the later copies are not very good.
Also if you unscrew yours it may be in two/three parts. the reflector the indicator and the stop/tail/numberplate part.
The cheap ones are the complete cluster and separate reflector.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

Pretty sure you would be able to just change the lens.

We don't think there is a law about the number plate being central, Mr Itch might be able to enlighten you about that.

If you changed them both and put the plate central we don't think they would give out enough light to illuminate it, as they are so far apart.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Are your lights that shape or this shape:

If they are this shape dig out a proper Britax approved distributor as some of the later copies are not very good.
Also if you unscrew yours it may be in two/three parts. the reflector the indicator and the stop/tail/numberplate part.

They are the ones we were talking about Mr Itch, scroll down the page to them. lol!
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is how mine is.

I just have it stuck on with velcro then I can remove it if I use another car/trailer.
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm

Thanks for all the replys i will order the lense for my light and then get a square stick on number plate to go next to it,,,, i have done some research on google and as my dandy is an earlt 70's then from what i read not all trailers had plate lights in the 70's.Don't really want to tow in the dark anyway but best to be safe than sorry. Smile
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm

Sorry Phoenix I didn't read your message properly.

Phoenix wrote:

They are the ones we were talking about Mr Itch, scroll down the page to them. lol!

I read it the way I did because I'm thick as pig sh*t the lights on the Green Un are the shape of the "Budget" lights at the top of Trailertek's list.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm

This is the NTTA's piece in respect to lighting.
There is the mention of post 1985 trailers and "e" marked nimber plate lights.
If required I'll copy Indespension's piece with dimensions.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Sorry Phoenix I didn't read your message properly.

Phoenix wrote:

I read it the way I did because I'm thick as pig sh*t the lights on the Green Un are the shape of the "Budget" lights at the top of Trailertek's list.

Thats Ok Mr Itch, Phoenix has the same shaped ones as the Green Un too!!!
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 7:37 am

Ha ha still a bit confused !!!! will i be legal to put a square plate off side on my trailer then, so as the side light lights it up if i have to drive in the dark ? going to wales next week and dont want to be pulled by the long arm Rolling Eyes
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

vnuala wrote:Thanks for all the replys i will order the lense for my light and then get a square stick on number plate to go next to it,,,, i have done some research on google and as my dandy is an earlt 70's then from what i read not all trailers had plate lights in the 70's.Don't really want to tow in the dark anyway but best to be safe than sorry. Smile

If the trailer is as originally constructed then I'd work with that. You do have the 4 way lights with cut outs then I'd run as is. I think the key issue is contained within point 4 in this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So as a pre 85 trailer you do not have to comply and a central number plate would fit the required illumination standard of the time.
If I was really worried I'd print out the piece by NTTA and fold a copy into my sun visor. As long as the lights fitted work I'd expect no problems. Most police would not know the requirements to the nth degree.
I await Terry shooting me down in flames at this point.
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
vnuala wrote:Thanks for all the replys i will order the lense for my light and then get a square stick on number plate to go next to it,,,, i have done some research on google and as my dandy is an earlt 70's then from what i read not all trailers had plate lights in the 70's.Don't really want to tow in the dark anyway but best to be safe than sorry. Smile

If the trailer is as originally constructed then I'd work with that. You do have the 4 way lights with cut outs then I'd run as is. I think the key issue is contained within point 4 in this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So as a pre 85 trailer you do not have to comply and a central number plate would fit the required illumination standard of the time.
If I was really worried I'd print out the piece by NTTA and fold a copy into my sun visor. As long as the lights fitted work I'd expect no problems. Most police would not know the requirements to the nth degree.
I await Terry shooting me down in flames at this point.
thanks i have removed the masking tape properly this morning (doing a respray)off the lights and they do have the clear bit on the inside of then as i have ordered a square number plate this morning i will use this one but may get a long one aswell and carry it with me just incase ,,,,,i will also print the info on regarding pre 85 and keep it in the car
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:57 pm

It's interesting reading the regs.

In the classics case it would read, hazards - no, fog lights - no, reverse lights - no, reflective plates - no, seat belts - no, washer bottle - pressurised. lol! Modern cars are no fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:35 am