Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

First timer

Rose red

First timer

Post by Rose red on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

Hello
I am looking at purchasing my first Dandy, hopefully a Designer! Have finally decided for a bit of luxury after a lovely family camping trip this year in Europe with no electric, a popped airbed and grumpy children.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Have my eye on one on ebay.
Not allowed to show the link but as they only have one Designer on at the moment I think you would know!
What do you think?
Caz1960

Re: First timer

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:29 am

Rose red wrote:Hello
I am looking at purchasing my first Dandy, hopefully a Designer! Have finally decided for a bit of luxury after a lovely family camping trip this year in Europe with no electric, a popped airbed and grumpy children.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Have my eye on one on ebay.
Not allowed to show the link but as they only have one Designer on at the moment I think you would know!
What do you think?

think this is the one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

is this one to big for you [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I know they have put sleeps 4 but this actually sleeps 6 table and sofa's that turns into a double bed

the Designer looks good flower how many are there of you ?

Last edited by Caz1960 on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:39 am

Caz
Managed to stick one in front of the eBay link, its [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RR

Depends what you want it is 1993/4 as there is the red end to the hand brake and the newer cooker units but not new enough to have double glazing which was 1995.
It's not winterised the sides are only one layer. look at the interior pictures as against a winterised one where the walls are white. There is no underfloor heater.
I have seen less cost more though and better sell for the same or less.
Are you going to camp in winter? Are you going to use hookups all the time? If you don't camp in winter and always want to EHU then no insullation is no problem (still warmer than canvas) and a fan heater or convector will be adequate. If wintering or economising on cheaper non EHU sites a heater and a gas fridge save enough pay for the cost of the fridge in under 3 weeks camping.

That Destiny highside looks good but is earlier than 1998 (see age arguments above) brave enough to go for a low start value. Insulated but no heater. Easier to gain big space instantly but no awning, only a canopy.

With all I think you need to view first and the more you view the deeper you will see when you view.

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

Yes that is the Designer I am looking at.
I really want it winterised as I would like to get more out of it than the standard summer months.
There are 4 of us in total me, my husband and the 2 girls 7 and 2 year old. It will be mainly used by me and the girls so wanted something smaller than a 6 birth but with an awning for when my husband comes along.
We went and had a look at Riva sales and sat in them all and felt the Designer was the right size for us (the girls like the table!)It will also be my first time towing and I wanted something a reasonable size/weight.
My sister had a Designer with an awning so is also persuading me along those lines. Unfortunately she sold it a few months ago otherwise I would already be one happy Dandy camper!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:38 am

I dont think most owners who state winterised in the add are trying to deceive i just think they dont understand winterised as meening roof and walls,if you look carefully at this one you can see the lack of inner pvc on the walls.
Not sure riva used the phrase i think they just called them fully insulated it could be owners that coined that phrase
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:40 am

You could ask about this one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:52 am

Yes I think I will email them to see if it is still available.
So glad I found this site as I would probably be planning my trip to Scotland to buy a van which wasn't exactly what I wanted. I know you can get them fully insulated but not sure whether a trip and the cost of insulating would make it such a good buy anymore.
I have seen a Designer on preloved but not with a Dandy awning for about £1650.
I don't want to be too impulsive but now I know what we all like I can't wait to get one and get out in it!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:02 am

Rose red wrote:
Yes I think I will email them to see if it is still available.
So glad I found this site as I would probably be planning my trip to Scotland to buy a van which wasn't exactly what I wanted. I know you can get them fully insulated but not sure whether a trip and the cost of insulating would make it such a good buy anymore.
I have seen a Designer on preloved but not with a Dandy awning for about £1650.
I don't want to be too impulsive but now I know what we all like I can't wait to get one and get out in it!

If you can find a insulated one in the right condition and at the right price great,if not my insulation works but it has to be put up every time,if you do buy uninsulated pay less for it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

Had a look at your insulation and it looks good. Where did you get it from and would it be easy to fit?

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

Hello Mike

I have contacted the lady regarding the designer you mentioned and she still has it and will be emailing some pictures!!!! Yippee so excited can't wait to see them. It comes with a lot if extras that I will was planning to get so could be up and running soon!!! bounce
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 11:16 am

Rose red wrote:Hello Mike

I have contacted the lady regarding the designer you mentioned and she still has it and will be emailing some pictures!!!! Yippee so excited can't wait to see them. It comes with a lot if extras that I will was planning to get so could be up and running soon!!! bounce

You little devil you lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

Hello and

Good luck with the search for your perfect Dandy, it sounds like you've already done a lot of research and know what you do and don't want.

With regards the insulation, neither of ours are insulated at the mo, but if you're using electric hook and a convector heater - which runs silently and turns on and off automatically when needed, you will find it will keep warm enough.

We often camp without electric - in random fields at events, we are going to make our own insulation from fleece blankets and magnets, we already have these items - so it won't cost us much. Wink But the original total cost was about £12 ish. I'll post pics etc when we get round to sorting it out, which will probably be when we're camping next month.

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

Hello Cazz

Would love to see pictures of your insulation when done. I hope to get a fully insulated Dandy for my girls, saying that they are like hot water bottles when we camp and I am always the one with cold feet!
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

Rose red wrote:I am always the one with cold feet!

And me, I have special warm camping socks as OH doesn't appreciate my cold feet on his hot legs. lol!

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

Laughing Just like me!
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm

Rose red wrote: Laughing Just like me!

lol! lol! lol!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:21 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum ........ hope you find your perfect designer soon ....... Brilliant choice

Rose red

Post by Rose red on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

Hello Helen

I have looked at your Dandy pictures it looks fantastic. Hope I get mine soon!

Rose red

I have my Dandy

Post by Rose red on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Just like to let you know that I have got my lovely designer Dandy (courtesy of link from Mike thank you)
It is in great condition and very kindly Catherine had left everything we needed in it so it is all ready to go.
I even managed to tow it home my first time towing!!! I need practice on reversing up my drive though Rolling Eyes
We are just getting to grips with how everything fits together, girls are enjoying wiping everything down and are going to go away for 2 nights this weekend. Not very far from home though!
We are all really excited.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

dont worry too much about reversing some never get it right,have a nice time.

mike
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

Congratulations ..... I'm biased but I like the Designers. Have fun getting to know it and you'll love your first outing because that's when you find out just how fantastic Dandy's are.

Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

enjoy your trip all exciting

Rose red

We did it!

Post by Rose red on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

What a glorious bank holiday weekend!!!!
Well we got the Dandy up in the sun and took it down in the howling wind and rain.
We all love it. Girls slept really well and my oldest said she much prefers it than the tent.
Towing was good and luckily no reversing involved. Planning next trip already and this time with the awning Very Happy
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:24 pm

Rose red wrote:What a glorious bank holiday weekend!!!!
Well we got the Dandy up in the sun and took it down in the howling wind and rain.
We all love it. Girls slept really well and my oldest said she much prefers it than the tent.
Towing was good and luckily no reversing involved. Planning next trip already and this time with the awning Very Happy

Good time had by all then,and with a dandy the season is as long as you want it to be.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 6:09 pm

Very Happy the tip I can give on the awning if you can put it up before you go which will take a while to work out were the poles go before you put it down colour code the poles I have tape around the poles that match up red,yellow,blue,white and I have put the tape up in the inside of the dandy to match the poles that should be placed then just have to put the cover over for me I use the step even though I'm tall 5'8" it makes life easier have fun flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Feb 2018, 4:58 am