Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Our 2006 Designer

Owd Lad

Our 2006 Designer

Post by Owd Lad on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

In the gallery (and with this post, if Helen feels up to moving them for me) are a couple of photos, plus a couple of etch a sketch drawings from my abstract period, of our recently acquired 2006 Designer. This is the third of our Dandys, having previously owned a 1994 Designer and a 1997 Destiny. These were followed by a couple of caravans and two motor homes, the last of which (a little Autosleeper Mezan) we still have and for now have no intention of parting with.
Why buy another Designer then? Well the motor home fits us and our German Shepherd, Max, adequately but snugly and it does have quite a high degree of refinement. The problem comes in the limited amount of room and the fact that, being made for two, we can't use it to kidnap the odd grandchild for a few days. It also was never designed to accomodate a large hairy dog as well as ourselves. Max loves it but after two days we lose any ideas of sartorial elegance, unless hair shirts, together with hair pants, hair jumpers and hair coats can be considered 'smart'.
The Designer was an ideal choice for us. Big enough for the use we'll give it and easy to store when we're not using it. As we all know it also provides 'bomb proof' camping.
It really isn't any different to Nickb's except that he has a propex heater (which I'm jealous of!) and we've got underbed skirts (Although Nick might have them as well). These are something we've not had in the past and I'm impressed with the protected storage that they provide, also the possibility that they may provide extra bed warmth in autumn/winter. The gas box on ours has moved away from the old GRP hinge lidded model and is now - a box. Albeit quite well made and with a good pvc lid with bungees. Not lockable though! - um!
To date we've had only one trip away but that was for a fortnight, down to see our son and family in Plymouth, with a couple of days spent in Lancashire on the outward and returning legs. We do like to use certified locations when we can, especially ones with EHUs, and indeed we did use these on this trip. The savings on regular campsite prices are enormous. Camping costs for this trip totalled under £120 Inevitably amenities are a little sparse but there are always ways of staying clean and in reality portable loos can always be backed up by using motorway services and large shops/supermarkets. What's it like to be back 'Dandying'? - Wonderful!
Steve
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Our 2006 Designer

Post by Helen on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

It is a beauty Steve Laughing
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

twins!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

Nice unit i was talking myself into a new one as riva folded,pleased i didn't now though because the boss prefers the six,and lets face it life is easier if they are happy.

mike
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

underbody skirts now i am the jealous one,we had them on our delta and its ideal for storing bbq's dandy cover etc,i agree about retaining warm they certainly helped in january when it was -4c,they possibly also help reduce under bed condensation.I think will have to acquire some.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm

You could always get the pvc off ebay nick and get vicky busy with the poppers (studs) Laughing
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

helen wrote:You could always get the pvc off ebay nick and get vicky busy with the poppers (studs) Laughing

glad you said studs lol! i need to check to see if we have the little flaps that the under skirt would pop onto,if not i thought we could get the pvc and make a windbreak type underskirt,using poles instead of studs,i think it could look pretty smart.
Owd Lad

Test upload

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:37 am

If this works it's a replacement for one piccy in the gallery. If it don't, well it won't be on site for long

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:07 am

Now you are just showing off lol! lol! lol!
Owd Lad

Uploading photos

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

This last picture was uploaded via photobucket, without any reduction in image size. It was certainly easy although the down side is that pictures have to be uploaded to Photobucket which can be time consuming. (Still have to go through internet explorer though as AOL just doesn't seem to want to be helpful)
Steve
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:43 pm

those skirts look really smart and complete the unit,my thought is our does not have skirts or provision for skirts but we have the propex so maybe for safety reasons you could not have both as the exhaust exits out of the side of the trailer or there maybe a big increase in condensation?
Owd Lad

Vents & Underbed skirts

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Nick, I do understand what you mean about the heater venting but I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as where the outlet is fitted (If I'm correct) is under the single seat on the tow bar end and this area isn't covered by the skirt, leaving a large natural vent for exhaust gases. The same would apply for the door end if the rig is used without awning. Certainly we never had any problems with our old Designer which had an underfloor heater.
Steve.
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

Steve,your right our old Delta had the floor type heater and that vented under the trailer and we used it with side skirt and awning fitted.There are 2 steel tubes under ours one for inlet one for exhaust outlet,not sure which is which as identical to look at,although one is fixed under dandy the other is fixed to the edge of the trailer about 18inches behind the wheel.Propex systems are pretty cheap if you can group buy or find a used one,my mate has recently bought a Propex HS2000 for is VW T25 it cost £300 brand new as part of a group buy.
Owd Lad

Propex Heaters

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:34 pm

£300!! It sounds alright if you say it really quick! I know that they are a good bit of kit and I know that they are a lot cheaper than the Eberspacher diesel burner that we have for our motor home. For now though we'll make do. Ultimately I'd like to fit a Propex but not until I've got the 12v system sorted out to my satisfaction. Like yours the rig has dual towing electrics but with the grey wire & plug utilised in the gas box as a battery connection. (short wire with socket on one end and bulldog clips on the other) Ideally I want to arrange it so that the battery could be charged via either an EHU or by running the car. I suspect that this may involve use of a Zig charger or similar but don't yet know enough about either the systems or the wiring involved. If it ever happens I'll be sure to post full details of the project. As I've said previously I do regret the demise of the old underfloor heaters as we found they were very efficient, without any complicated electrics being involved. Don't actually know why they got outlawed. Does anyone?
Steve
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

All sorts of stories about there demise but i think they just didn't meet the latest safety standards too simple probably,for £300 you could buy a dandy with a working heater remove it and get your money back.

There was a story that a couple where killed when snow blocked the underneath of the dandy and the fumes couldn't escape!
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

no moving parts or electrics and silent,the old underfloor heaters where fantastic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:50 am