Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Help please, 1993 Dandy destiny or 1996 Conway countryman?

littlemisshs

Help please, 1993 Dandy destiny or 1996 Conway countryman?

Post by littlemisshs on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and looking for some expert Dandy help. I've been looking for a Dandy for a while and a Destiny has come up, however there is also a Conway countryman which is considerably cheaper & a bit nearer to me. The countryman comes with lots of added extras, leisure battery as well as 240v hook up and seller claims it's insulated & just as warm as the Dandy. Is this the case? I'm looking for something with warmth for winter camps, space inside for sitting & eating, ability to have electric lights etc & not too big to tow as only been driving for a year! Ease of setting up single handed as well. Also the Destiny seems too good to be true at £1,700. The Countryman is offered at £950 with offers accepted. However if the Dandy is in good con', which is the better investment? If it were you, what would you choose? Any help extremely gratefully accepted!
Hannah.
P.S not sure where to put this, so have copied it to a couple of places. Knew to forums!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Help please, 1993 Dandy destiny or 1996 Conway countryman?

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:30 pm

I know about the Countryman as friends of ours had one .... they previously had a Dandy which is how we met them as they came and helped us erect ours on a site the first time we tried to put it up and also to tell us how sorry they we're they didn't keep theirs Laughing

The countryman has low backed bench seats and they're not very comfortable after a while as you have to sit straight up. (good for your posture though I suppose)

A Countryman is also quite a bit smaller inside than a Destiny as the two beds that sit behind the bench seats don't convert into seating and it gives a really narrow feel to everything, we all ended up sat in the Dandy most nights because of the comfort and space ours had to offer in comparison and ours isn't anything like as big as a Destiny - it's a Designer. We moan about our Dandy awnings but we had to use step ladders just to reach the framework on the countryman to help take it down and when we did it was wet as was the camper so our friends had to open in all up to dry it out when they got home. We didn't have to with our Dandy

On all future meetings with them ..... they left the awning at home and just used a gazebo. These girls had previously had a Pennine Aztec, A Dandy and then the Countryman and of all the campers the Dandy was the one they kept the longest and regretted selling. The plus points of the Countryman were that it looked more modern than our Dandy, the awning felt really spacious and had two proper doors rather than the straight up zips we have and it also had under bed skirts on both sides so you had storage under there too.

Hope this helps.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum, I'll take the other two threads off and we can just use this one for now in the Hi section so our other members will be able to say hello

Oh I forgot to mention windows, the Destiny will have acrylic opening windows (real windows Laughing )and the countryman only has the flexible plastic ones like in a tent Rolling Eyes The Destiny will also have far more natural light inside due to the size and position of windows in the countryman.

They sold the Countryman after owning it for 3 years for £2500 and lost almost £1000, they didn't lose money on the Dandy and I think ours may now be worth more than we paid for it a very long time ago ...... if the Destiny is a good one it will hold it's value a lot better than the countryman.

littlemisshs

Dandy it is!

Post by littlemisshs on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

Thank you so much Helen, you have really helped. I did wonder about the seating in the Conway. The destiny looks more useable even without an awning & I'd rather have a Dandy anyway!
Big thanks,
Hannah.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

Hello

I've just spent 1hr plus listing all the options I can think of on this and lost it on editing. I do long posts.

I can't be arsed trying again.

Roughly if you want it for winter camping no contest.

If you want it to last ditto. How are you going to dry canvass out? Wind resistance no contest.

Both of them a bit big for pushing about single handed. Highside Destiny might be a bit much on folding beds. It depends.

It is a Highside destiny? Thought of other Dandys?

Can you do links to the ads?

Lots of other stuff will PM you my phone number feel free to call. Have paper and pen.

Helen it was just after 13.33 would it have anything to do with collapsing /consolidating topics?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:14 pm

It could have Kevin as I removed the two other identical threads but each one only had the first post on at the time ...... all depends on which one you we're posting.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

I agree with Kevin regarding the size of Dandy required, as I said we spent most evenings inside our Designer as it had more use-able space. Destiny's have loads of space and all of the appliances you'd get in a Countryman but you should also look at the other Dandy models available but I would always say go for as much space as possible.

littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:03 pm

Hi again Helen,
I think your right about space. I know the Destiny is heavier (massive thanks Kevin for invaluable info & help) but as my children get bigger, think it will be worth it. When they are older (or bored of me dragging them off camping!), I could always down size. You have both been so lovely, I'm really moved. sunny
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:11 pm

Your Welcome, hope you find your Destiny soon flower
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

Hello and

I would also agree the Dandy, but of course I'm bias. Laughing

My reasons are:-
We used to have/still have a Combi Camp, which I know isn't a Conway Countryman, but it is a canvas one. We found the canvas a lot colder, not as wind proof, it needed waterproofing, had to be regularly aired and defo dried out. Lucky this make only takes 30 seconds to open - any longer would be a pain to keep doing. Also over time the canvas wears thin, it goes from a tough canvas feel to a thin sheety feel, then there's a chance it can rip more easily than it normally would.

Our Dandies, yes Dandies, a 60's one and a 80's, both of which are in fab condition, the PVC doesn't wear thin or rip, they are windproof and they don't need waterproofing, the roof and possibly the walls are insulated. They can also be put away wet and not need drying out when you get home.

I'm sure there are more reasons if I put my thinking cap on. What a Face

littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

Hello to you Cazz!
I'm officially jealous, two Dandys.... Shocked I'm really excited about this one, but trying to remain calm until it's been looked over. Have just had an email from the seller, it's got all the bits I need in it, so the Conway really doesn't compare anymore (apart from price) the thing of it is, the Dandy is a better investment. Fingers crossed!
Hannah.
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:47 pm

How exciting. bounce bounce bounce

Our green Dandy is an accessory for our classic car. Shocked It's that original, nice and handy to use - that we bought an 80's one to go with our 80's campervan - so we didn't have the faff with the van and awning, and didn't put to much strain on the classic one, he's retired now. Laughing
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:02 pm

the only thing I can say is WHEN you get your dandy the best thing is you can personalise to your own taste and needs if anything brakes you can fix it as for towing they are easy the only fault is remembering its there affraid .. as you read other members have put modifications to help with single handed erections I have camped in gale force winds she stood up against but the other canvas ones didn't fair so well

littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:52 pm

Hello Caz1960,
I'm sold, just got to find the right Dandy now. Kevin is amazingly kindly checking out a Destiny for me and as per his advice, I'm looking at a Discovery & Designer over the weekend, to get a feel for them. I can not wait Very Happy to officially join the club! X
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

Kept out of this one up to now,any doubts you may have had should be covered by the summer we have just had,you can look forward to a really smug feeling the first time you pack away in the rain in the full knowledge you dont have to open it again until you arrive on the next site for your next holiday.

mike

littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

Hello Mike,
I promise I will try not to be too smug! Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:51 am