Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Alphabetical artists game

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Alphabetical artists game

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 2:08 am

There is only one Grand Ole Opry member who begins with the letter E and strangely we haven't used them yet.

The Everly brothers with The Lightning Express I hope this is suitably maudling for you country fans.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:20 pm

Adam Faith ....... what do you want

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

great it's not me who ditched Nashville.

Couldn't miss not posting these.

Gang Of Four with Not Great Men

jake001

Post by jake001 on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:28 pm

One of the greatest

In my youth I had a beer with him on more than one occasion      

A great performer, sadly missed.
jake001

Post by jake001 on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm

Appropriate for the time of year, Isla St. Clair in her pre game show mode

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:08 am

I've enjoyed catching up on my favourite thread tonight ... all great choices.

Loved those last two jake ... both capable of drawing a tear for entirely different reasons.

Well J's an easy one so I'm a bit spoilt for choice ... how about this -

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 8:51 pm

Mark Knopfler - Brothers in Arms

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

Nice to see Jake joining in. Though my snotty side resents the Ipod version of the alphabet.

Whether you argue that this is Queen or Freddy Mercury with the other members backing it is actually listed as

Larry Lurex

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unusual as Freddie Mercury isn't altering these but singing as a "soundalike" cover.

Other YouTube version inserted so peridot can enjoy more of Freddie.

I'd have to disagree about Freddie's voice and over Bohemian Rhapsody but I was the one person who missed Live Aid (I was in East Berlin for most of the day) and only watched it last year. The "earth shattering" Queen performance was only so so but then again it was better than most of the dross on the show.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 12:40 am

I'm not the greatest Dire Straits fan, however Brothers in Arms is one of my favourite ever songs and I loved that version.

I'm not any sort of Queen or Freddie Mercury fan. Every time that godawful Bohemian Rhapsody appears in some "top 10" ranking, I just think why, why why? But I did enjoy the unusual selection of Goin' Back if for no other reason that it shows how bloody awful a singer he was Evil or Very Mad  The first video came up as 'private' when I tried to play it Question 

I think I've posted a few M's and I've forgotten what they were so to keep it simple and go with the Ipod alphabet again (sorry TI) get funky with this -

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 7:38 am

Nickelback - If today was your last day

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 3:59 pm

Orange Juice with Rip It Up

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 11:23 pm

Now that all that Christmas nonsense is out of the way, I've been putting together a playlist for a little soiree tomorrow evening (and using this thread as a good reference). We've had some classic 'Pees' along the way but appear to have missed one out - time to put that right ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:19 pm

I'll have to admit I struggled with another "Q". Then remembered a group who were mentioned in Roger Dean's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thing is after looking them up and looking at the images section of Google I can't remember what album cover was featured.

Quicksilver Messenger Service and Fresh Air

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:04 pm

Don't like to follow myself but this needed kick starting.

Was going to post something completely different but then what the hell, I give you the 1980s music video in all it's er.......

presented by The Fabulous Picasso Brothers it's Diamond Dave

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 7:04 pm

I hadn't posted recently as I could no longer see YouTube links on the forum. I assumed that it was a temporary glitch with the forum system but have just logged in on the Safari browser (rather that Chrome) and can see them again, so it seems to be an issue with Chrome.

Anyhows ... I'm going to indulge myself slightly and post one that's far from 'mainstream'. These lot were recommended to be by someone who's tastes are similar to mine, but the first time I listened I though he'd possibly lost his mind. But then I listened again and it started to gel with me. Their 'Knots' album is now a firm favourite.

I give you the Sons of Noel and Adrian, and the fantastically titled 'Come Run Fun Stella Baby Mother Of The World'

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 23 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm

Sometimes simple pop is still simply outstanding.                                    Or it can be educational.

They Might Be Giants with Birdhouse In Your Soul

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm

YouTube links are working again in Chrome browser.

We still need a few more players in this game but I suspect we'll have to get through the difficult end of the alphabet first.

In the 'iPod alphabet' this comes under 'U' so here goes -

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm

Sod it ... I've got a good 'V' too so I'm going to post it.

This is a rather self-indulgent performance but I think it's worth 10 minutes of your life  Cool 

Kurt Vile - Walking on a Pretty Day

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 20 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Thought I'd restart this thread.

Went watching Yes last weekend sadly it was Geoff Downes paying keyboards not this man.

Two days late for his 65th birthday I give you Rick Wakeman and two pieces you may not associate him with.

The first he transposed and half wrote the second he wrote on the spot.

Life On Mars and Morning Has Broken.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 1:02 am

Thought I'd bump this again, hoping the lack of activity was because it was the difficult X.

So a band that while it had a name never actually existed the ex Yes and Led Zeplin members in XYZ see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Hopefully I'm allowed some leeway on X.

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm

A genius choice there TI ... covering the difficult 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' all in one go (That's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it).

I haven't been around much lately as we've been over in Portugal (sans Dandy) for a couple of weeks, and having come back early on Tuesday, myself and daughter have been busy getting ready to head off (with Dandy) to the Green Man music festival tomorrow morning.

One of the bands we were looking forward to seeing have pulled out due to the fact that they have been offered a support slot with Yes on their current US tour. Disappointing for us, but entirely understandable and we won't be short of alternative entertainment as the Green Man line-up this year is just insanely brilliant.

Anyway, I'll bend the rules a little further for an 'A' slot to enable me to wish our 'deserters' the best of luck on their American exploits with a track that is very appropriate for us campers -

I'll be back next week to catch up on the other threads.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 5:20 pm

Bugger Bugger Bugger I so wanted to do Z. Still next time round.

A B that I love but's hard to know what might appeal to others from their catalogue.
Even if you don't particularly like them I'd love people to give this album a listen to just about everyone of the time is on it and the band are superb as backing artists. I wonder why?

I give you the Band with The Weight then with Joni Mitchell, Eric clapton and of course Bob Dylan

The whole film is available on YouTube if you didn't know the film the title is The Last Waltz

Tracks The Weight, Coyote, Further On Up The Road and Forever Young

I've often not wanted to show artists but it's hard to hide things as YouYube is normally titled. please can we give the artist and track as there are several blanks where YouTube have withdrawn films. So we no longer know what we chose.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 6:54 pm

The Last Waltz is a fantastic film. I loved the clips and will watch the full thing again soon.

Green Man was even more wonderful than expected, so much terrific music that I ignored everything else that was going on (apart from the real ale and cider bar!), but you could have no interest in music and still have the most brilliant time there. The weather was unexpectedly kind to us, with only the occasional light shower. It's my favourite four days of the year and tickets for 2015 are already bought.

Whether by accident or design there were hardly any 'heritage' type acts this year. There were however many great guitar players. My 'C' choice fits in both camps, and gave a great performance at the festival. He was all alone on the large "Mountain Stage', but when you listen to him play you keep looking around for at least one other guitarist - he coaxes so much sound from that one instrument ....

With a song about, well, Memphis in Winter I give you Michael Chapman ...

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 07 Sep 2014, 8:24 pm

Picking guitarists don't know much about them but I'd listen to more.

And so to D the Divine Comedy with National Express not what I was expecting for the video.

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 15 Sep 2014, 11:35 pm

I'd almost forgotten that song and it's insane (excuse pun) video TI - really enjoyed seeing it again. "She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks for a sky high fee..." - just brilliant!

I was holding off posting in the hope that someone else might want to play, but I suppose we're doing okay by ourselves and my next idea can be an 'E' or an 'F' depending on your filing system.

I'm afraid it's another new one - well it was to me anyway. This guy was recommended to me by a trusted friend who had seen him twice this year, and then a number of folk who attend the End of The Road music festival listed him as one of the highlights, so I took the opportunity to see him in Cardiff the week before last. Mr Obama and the other world leaders were around 100 metres from us enjoying the formal NATO conference dinner, but I like to think that we had the better evening.

If you could, in a mad genetic experiment, take one percent of the DNA of the top 100 musicians and entertainers of the past 100 years, from Woody Guthrie and Bo Diddly through all the stuff we've had on this thread up to the modern classics from the like of Arcade Fire, I think you would arrive at Ezra Furman. But no need ... he's here already.

After seeing him for the first time I immediately bought a ticket for his London performance later this month, even though it means a very long train journey home afterwards - it's well worth it.

Very difficult to pick one track from YouTube that captures his essence, so I'll just go with the first one that came up - rubbish video but if you like the music you can explore further.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm