Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Paraffin Lantern

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Paraffin Lantern

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm

Not a big fan of Google and the "related" ads that appear because of your searches but this one may be different.

I was looking at overpriced kit the other week and came up with the combined cooking, heating and lighting kit based on an American copy of the Petromax Lantern at $500.

I said at the time the original German Petromax Lantern was £84.00 but I couldn't find a cheap copy at this point though loads of different copies were made.

The same company that imports the original is importing this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Looking at the glass it is the Anchor brand lamp.
At 500 candle power these will be bright, a Tilley Lamp or most other standard paraffin lamps are 350cp so this is over 40% brighter.

At £28.00 it is one third the price of the original Petromax Lantern or £2.00 more than a replacement glass for a Tilley Lamp.

Don't know anything about the quality of these they are perhaps not quite the heirlooms of the original but at a third the price?

I just need a nice person to turn up to a camping meet every couple of years with 5 gallons of home heating oil as it's cheaper than the scandalous price of paraffin.

11 Reviews [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: Paraffin Lantern

Post by Phoenix on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

Mr Itch,

We could have supplied you with some heating oil the other week had we known. Rolling Eyes

One of our local suppliers does sell 5 gallon cans of it for cases of emergency when people run out. Perhaps one local to you does too.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:37 am

I just brought these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

Phoenix wrote:Mr Itch,

We could have supplied you with some heating oil the other week had we known. Rolling Eyes

One of our local suppliers does sell 5 gallon cans of it for cases of emergency when people run out. Perhaps one local to you does too.

Looked and seen a possibly transient supplier about 15 mile away @85p per litre and another local oil depot will fill cans but no price given. An interesting suggestion is apparently A1 Jet(parafin) emptied from a plane or engine in servicing can't be added to another plane as it is considered corrupted. They can end up paying to have it removed from the site.

To be honest I was just sounding off. I only use 2 or 3 gallons a year max but just looked on a farmers forum and paraffin (28sec heating oil) comes in at only 10 p per litre less than red Diesel. Diesel has a duty element charged and 20% vat paraffin just 5% vat. So 60p per litre is bad enough but £7.00 for 4 litres or £1.75 a litre is disgusting. But if the sum total of difference is only £15.00 or so a year not worth getting upset about.

back_to_the_boats

Post by back_to_the_boats on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:08 am

There is kerosene and there is lamp paraffin Aladdin blue and pink which do not smell when used in a lamp. it is worth paying the extra if you can find it.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

back_to_the_boats wrote:There is kerosene and there is lamp paraffin Aladdin blue and pink which do not smell when used in a lamp. it is worth paying the extra if you can find it.

Not being picky but unsure Is that Aladdin, blue and pink As in 3 different types or Aladdin-blue and pink As in two types?

If there was an Aladdin brand I don't remember it but do remember blue being Esso Blue, then also Pink and Regent Super Green.

Not seen any of these products for sale for longer than I can remember.

I've used the way too expensive products sold in supermarkets and petrol stations and there is still some smell. Some retailers sell a differentiated product. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'd happily try anything from 28 second heating oil to contaminated jet fuel. (any fuel drained from aircraft engines or fuel lines must be discarded as contaminated fuel apparently)

I've no idea if any difference in performance would be more likely experienced in pressure lamps or an Aladdin Lamp. Willing to experiment to find out.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

These are new old stock Vapalux lanterns as made by Willis and Bates Halifax. Lots of MOD surplus ones around at the moment but this is a good price. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] £49.00 elsewhere used condition "B" Lanterns can be seen at £40.00. The Vapalux Lanterns are generally given to be of a higher quality than Tilly Lamps. No longer made in the UK commercially available ones are £160.00. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:51 am