Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

New 2013 riva dandy trailer tent and folding camper for sale thread

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: New 2013 riva dandy trailer tent and folding camper for sale thread

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

Dear All especially Mike and flinstone

Not for the first time in life I must explain myself.

Having copied portions of the thread the thread then shown a photograph and link with the question is it this? I then corrected myself for being crass enough to ask questions without celebrating flinstone's success. Online as in real life I should expect to wake up with a crowd round me if I spoke to others in such a manner. Also I must realise being of "a certain age" there may be a number of you who don't get the reference to "Stupid boy" possibly as it's more correctly "You stupid boy".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All of which has detracted from the original question. It is this isn't it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

flinstone

Post by flinstone on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:02 pm

Hi, Mr Itch
Thanks for your congrats
Yes it is the one in your link, although it hasn't been marked as "sold" yet, she is now sitting on our daughters drive .
We weren't going to let this one go, we have waited ages for the right one.
She has been thoroughly explored by the grandchildren today and is apparently awesome!! (10 year old speak)!
Everyone is looking forward to a dandy outing together (daughters and kiddies camp too). Very Happy
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:10 am

Discovery under floor heater,awning but not fully insulated
ChrisP

I have just bought this one, so I am back with a Dandy.

Post by ChrisP on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:41 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
mike wrote:Another four berth

He might be a bit mistaken about it being insulated and the awning is non standard. Brown and cream but if anything other than a shed it should be worth it.

Last year I sold my Dandy Destiny. We used it for a few weekends and a couple of full weeks, but it was not really my Wife's idea of accommodation. I ended up taking it on weekends with my 6 year old son and it was just too big for the two of us.

I did two trips back in my old Vango tunnel tent and found I was missing the comforts (ie being above the wet ground and being able to stand up....) of a Dandy.

I started looking for an old Dandy 4 with recessed wheels at 4'2" wide so it would not have to stay in the garage and could be pushed out the side door (slight door enlargement required first) but they do not come up very often.

This one does have recessed wheels, but it seems that the newer 4 berth, even with recessed wheels is 5'3"....quite a bit wider and therefore has to stay in the garage not through the side door.

We put it up before concluding the sale and it does need some TLC as the ad suggests. It could be used as is, but would be nicer with some work. Not really sure how you tell if it is winterised. There was no heater, so I suspect not. Given my use will be May to September I don't see that as a problem. I was never comfortable leaving the heater on with my Destiny. I just used to put it on to warm up a bit before breakfast.

The awning is not the Dandy one. We did not put that up, so I will have to see how it goes.

Chris P
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

Congratulations Chris, to tell if it's winterised the inside of the walls are usually white (there are a few that arn't) but you should be able to see if it's a single skin or if it's a double skin with padding in between ....... if it feels as thick as the roof then it's fully insulated.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm

ChrisP wrote:
Tow Itch wrote:
mike wrote:Another four berth

He might be a bit mistaken about it being insulated and the awning is non standard. Brown and cream but if anything other than a shed it should be worth it.

Last year I sold my Dandy Destiny. We used it for a few weekends and a couple of full weeks, but it was not really my Wife's idea of accommodation. I ended up taking it on weekends with my 6 year old son and it was just too big for the two of us.

I did two trips back in my old Vango tunnel tent and found I was missing the comforts (ie being above the wet ground and being able to stand up....) of a Dandy.

I started looking for an old Dandy 4 with recessed wheels at 4'2" wide so it would not have to stay in the garage and could be pushed out the side door (slight door enlargement required first) but they do not come up very often.

This one does have recessed wheels, but it seems that the newer 4 berth, even with recessed wheels is 5'3"....quite a bit wider and therefore has to stay in the garage not through the side door.

We put it up before concluding the sale and it does need some TLC as the ad suggests. It could be used as is, but would be nicer with some work. Not really sure how you tell if it is winterised. There was no heater, so I suspect not. Given my use will be May to September I don't see that as a problem. I was never comfortable leaving the heater on with my Destiny. I just used to put it on to warm up a bit before breakfast.

The awning is not the Dandy one. We did not put that up, so I will have to see how it goes.

Chris P

Chris your story sounded a bit odd. Standard Imperial widths for the 4, 41/2, and 5 being 4', 4'10" and 5'10 inch the corresponding metric sizes being found here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just out of curiosity I looked up the total width of a 4 it's 5'1" That width plus an inch each side for a mudgurd seems just too convienient. So I'll belay that call to get the tape measure out again. The distance can be found in the PDF link on this page. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Now I would have thought that the frames were batch produced and it would have been a right swine to produce a recessed wheel one off just 5" wider than a recessed wheel 41/2. Then again as I've seen so many odds and sods I'm not completely shocked. A call to Ian at Riva might see if he remembers any odd body sizes as Ian worked there for years before he bought the business.

As always we like photos, especially as yours is a one off. With non standard awning even nicer. Either wait 7days or tell us you have photos to post and someoe will give you a PM with an email address.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:36 pm

As you've been a member for a long while Chris you don't need anyone to host photo's on your behalf.

I'd love to see photo's of your Dandy ..... just because I love Dandy's Very Happy

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm

Chris

Automatic assumption that any post on the sales side referring to a newly bought Dandy must be a new member. Didn't even look at the join date under your avatar.
You must rejoice in oddities you sold the Destiny to Endecay the one with the humongous PVC awning.

Helen

It's not just my inability to read it's also my inability to look!

navver

Post by navver on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:58 am

According to the brochure,

The recessed wheel four is 4ft 2 in wide. This became the dart.

The recessed wheel four five is 5 ft 1 in wide. This became the delta.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:05 pm

navver wrote:According to the brochure,

WRT the second one I'm still going for 4' 10" see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or 5' 11" for the standard outside wheel 4 1/2 or early Delta. Later 147cm & 180cm 57.87" 4' 10" (Almost) & 70.87" 5' 11" (almost)

Width including wheels of 4 is 5' 1" or for a Delta 160cm = 62.992" = 5' 3" What years brochure (or other) are you getting the widths for the recessed wheel Dandys from?
Kimmie

Selling a 5/Delta.

Post by Kimmie on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

Hi folks.
I've got the offer of a '91 Destiny that I used to own. So because of that I'm selling the five that I have already . No room for two!
Anyone interested before I put it on fleabay? just message me. I'll take some pics later in the week, when I'm not on nights Sleep
Kim Very Happy
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

Four berthit states double insulated but its only the roof,the walls look single

navver

Post by navver on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

WRT the second one I'm still going for 4' 10" see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or 5' 11" for the standard outside wheel 4 1/2 or early Delta. Later 147cm & 180cm 57.87" 4' 10" (Almost) & 70.87" 5' 11" (almost)

Width including wheels of 4 is 5' 1" or for a Delta 160cm = 62.992" = 5' 3" What years brochure (or other) are you getting the widths for the recessed wheel Dandys from?

This one which is from your link above

At the bottom of the description for each it says "the wheels can be recessed to specisl order to give the total widths" I've quoted. There may not be many of them around though as they were special order.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

[quote="Tow Itch"]

What years brochure (or other) are you getting the widths for the recessed wheel Dandys from?

There is no date on it. It is a scan that I downloaded, but cannot remember where from. The Dandys are orange and the tow car in one picture is an L plate, so that would indicate 72 or later. At the end of the section on the 4 is ",the wheels can be recessed to special order as on the 5 berth at extra cost to give a total width of 4' 2"."

The 5' 3" measurement came from the seller. I asked about the width and that is what he came back with. He included the square tubing for the legs in this measure. I have just gone out and measured it. The body is 4'10" with about another 1.5" either side for the sliding legs.

The original ad on gumtree has gone, and I forgot to make a PDF before I went to buy, or to take pictures when I collected it. This current add [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
has the same internal layout, but the wheels are not recessed.

I suspect that this means I have a 4/5 rather than a 4. Not a problem, as I have a usable Dandy at a relatively cheap price and a very good excuse not to widen the garage side door.

The awning could be better described as non-Dandy rather than non-standard.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

navver wrote:
Tow Itch wrote:

At the bottom of the description for each it says "the wheels can be recessed to specisl order to give the total widths" I've quoted. There may not be many of them around though as they were special order.

Second time this has happened with reference to this brochure (1st time it was unladen weight) at some point navver I will learn to read!

So what we have is a recessed wheel 4 1/2. Never retained that information. I'd assumed that they were the standard width. Wonder why 2" for 4's and 3" for 41/2's?

There is no date on it. It is a scan that I downloaded, but cannot remember where from. The Dandys are orange and the tow car in one picture is an L plate, so that would indicate 72 or later. At the end of the section on the 4 is ",the wheels can be recessed to special order as on the 5 berth at extra cost to give a total width of 4' 2".
I am asleep. Never spotted the reg. You wouldn't see that on an advert now. I don't know if the info is gold plated but the brochure is believed to be 81.Seems reasonable a transition time between yellow/orange and brown.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:14 pm

They're Back

Go on everyone send enquiries in as long as you realise it's all round. "Spheres" might have been closer to the word I used!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They must be short of photos it keeps on being the same ones.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct Link (sic) posted.)

navver

Post by navver on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 12:17 am

Tow Itch wrote:
navver wrote:
Tow Itch wrote:

Second time this has happened with reference to this brochure (1st time it was unladen weight) at some point navver I will learn to read!

So what we have is a recessed wheel 4 1/2. Never retained that information. I'd assumed that they were the standard width. Wonder why 2" for 4's and 3" for 41/2's?

There is no date on it. It is a scan that I downloaded, but cannot remember where from. The Dandys are orange and the tow car in one picture is an L plate, so that would indicate 72 or later. At the end of the section on the 4 is ",the wheels can be recessed to special order as on the 5 berth at extra cost to give a total width of 4' 2".
I am asleep. Never spotted the reg. You wouldn't see that on an advert now. I don't know if the info is gold plated but the brochure is believed to be 81.Seems reasonable a transition time between yellow/orange and brown.

Dandys first appeared in 1965 at the Belle Vue Camping and caravan exhibition in Manchester, acccording to Riva Dandy site history.
The brochure refers to 17 years of continuous production to a very high standard on the page that is all writing. That would put the brochure at 1982. So it's got to be early 80's.
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:04 am

There's a 4 berth for sale on gum tree Glasgow for £380 ono
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 10:42 am

Tow Itch wrote: They're Back

Go on everyone send enquiries in as long as you realise it's all round. "Spheres" might have been closer to the word I used!

They must be short of photos it keeps on being the same ones.

that confused me for a while as the top link took me to sky mail??? but im sure that i have read the info on this forum Suspect
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 1:27 pm

Re Craigslist, Why Do they put them on? Doesn't it cost them money?
Wonder if they would sell that front box, it's in better condition than mine, Very Happy Laughing
Essie
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

Insulated Dart
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 9:42 pm

mike wrote:Insulated Dart

Might just be me, or it may be the photo angle but the wheel looks to have significant negative camber angle.

This can be evidence of the suspension arm deforming. Though if the trailer had travelled a good distance in this condition the tyre would have become worn on the inner side.

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd try to get a look before bidding but depending what it goes for not the end of the world.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

mike wrote:Four berthit states double insulated but its only the roof,the walls look single

Bump

No one interested? I notice no mention of the missing leg.

Has the heater being carpeted over?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 9:58 pm

mike wrote:Discovery under floor heater,awning but not fully insulated

Bump.

On 20-Feb-13 at 20:43:15 GMT, seller added the following information:
As there is a lot of interest in the camper, I have withdrawn other advertising and the auction will run to the end. Happy Bidding!

I'm sure there will be bids on this I'd take the heater over insulation any day but another eBay seller (and this one with a lot of history) confusing viewings with interest and interest with prospective buyers!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:33 pm

Does this one belong to Kimmie ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm