Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Giro D'ITALIA

Share
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]





plans hatched going through route maps and now gearing up for the trip
1. will be going for 3 weeks ( not telling son the length of journey )
2. Not coming back until I have had a pizza in Italy!!!
3. will be trying to visit as many countries as we can that was planned for last year's tour.
4. LOOK out I am driving as well
5. taking 2 days to journey to Dover so my son is not so traumatised
on the look out for cheep 3 way fridge and a gas oven so if anyone knows or see's adverts would be truly grateful
will be getting the old girl out soon to work on her wonky bits will be posting photo's soon for help


avatar
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Phoenix on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Pizza in Italy instead of cake in Wales.
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3179
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:20 pm

Caz

It's your holiday and you will no doubt do it your way.
Now it's either me being a know it all git or the other way of looking at things is I make the effort to read your posts and am interested enough to ask the questions that occur to me.

Travel:
1st thing is that after viewing Google maps northern Italy wasn't as far as I thought.
From this years travels or lack of them it's apparent that your lad is not the best car passenger.
Now while Italy isn't as far as I thought it's still 21/2 as far as the trip from Cardigan to the channel.
If your taking 2 days to get to the channel does that mean that you will take 4 days to get to Italy from the French coast? If so it's 12 days getting to and from Italy.So only 9 days on the Giro. What's wrong with France this year? Won't the extra road days and miles just be extra grief for your lad?

Recalling your packing last year and the thinning out of items to make the luggage fit I can't quite understand the desire for an oven. Hopefully it will be the weather for a diet rich in salads (and that lessens cooking time) also I would have thought that the idea is for an Italian made pizza in Italy. Surely one you have made yourself doesn't count?
avatar
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 42
Location : Staffordshire

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Cazz on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

How exciting, can my dad hide in your suitcase as he would love it, the cycling not the hiding Laughing Remember the pics. Very Happy
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6827
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Helen on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

I like Pizza can I come too What a Face

It really doe's sound like an amazing trip ..... another Dandy adventure
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 2:33 am

The initial journey in Wales has its ups and downs corners that does not help the travel sickness especially when my friends drives so I am doing the first leg at a slower sedate pace also it helps me gage his anxiety levels also as its my car that's doing the journey then she is kitted out with audio and visual entertainment .
I have also got homoeopathic remedy that will help with stress and travelling without knocking him out..
then i plan that we will only travel max for 5 hrs in the car with brakes roughly do 250 miles in that time at speed of average 50 mph think my maths are right
then camp but have learnt that most camp-sites charge you for 2 days even if you want to stay for one night so may as well stay for the two and enjoy the area.
got a list of municipal sites along the route we wish to take so we will just travel from one to the other and taking in the sites on the way .
as for the journey back it will be shorter as my son travels better when he knows we are going home so from the ferry straight home .
As for the oven (pref gas) is because my son's foods mainly oven baked and found eating out a tad expensive mind you so was the shopping so allot more brought from Aldis will be taken with us to last the trip hence the need also for the 3 way fridge ..
also the laptop will be coming with me and got satellite system from Aldis and awaiting a tv/dvd to arrive and that will have to come with us also getting a satellite tracking thingy from eBay
we are doing the Dunkirk port again because its cheaper than the others and only 2 hrs as I hate boats !! affraid


for those that don't know and wonder why I am pandering to my teenagers needs it is because he is Autistic so touch, sound ,smell ,crowds causes him stress but being me I feel that he has to learn how to deal with situations and as you know I cause most kayos and that helps him as it's always MUM's Fault

I have brought detailed maps of Italy and marked out the bike routes and also places of interest Colosseum, pompi and will try and see them so now to set dates as the race starts on the 1st of may It does not give me much time

Cazz will do the same as last time as many freebies as I can .....but will try not to get hit by them






avatar
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 42
Location : Staffordshire

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Cazz on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Caz numbers, you are fab, would you like a crash hat? lol!

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a gas oven and 3 way fridge for you, how far are you prepared to travel for them? What a Face
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm

thanks Cazz will travel any where " oh nice day out"

One thing I forgot to mention was I am taking our bikes only because I got the bike rack for three bikes so from now till then I have to get use to riding my bike and to teach my son to ride his and that is going to mean allot of huffing and puffing on my part he's six foot don't think I will be able to keep up but that's ok if he only let go of my shoulder..

just a sight hitch with my plan so far tow bar affraid so scouring every where might have to go to a fabricator

just a note to all that going to France 1..high vis Jackets must be in the car not boot
2..Red triangle ( boot)
3.. Breathalyser test kit ( best get two ) must be in car!
4..on sat nav's switch off the speed camera alarm best to not have it at all as the police out there play hide and seek very well and don't like you cheating
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm

when I came back from my dog walk there at my back door was my tow bar and bracket

ok this is my second tow bar I brought my first one and didn't realise that I hadn't got the bracket to fix it to so just had the ball end so trawled EBay and found one but buggered up my computer thing but managed to contact them (Norfolk Salvage) bless them they were so good and I got it today tomorrow book her into a garage ( found a cheaper man ) and he will put it on fingers crossed it will fit and then that's that slight hic up fixed flower
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:14 am

now the serious bit...
THE DANDY is squint
as I said before we fixed one hinge on the wall to the left of the kitchen all we did was rivet it back in place but as we learnt on our France trip the window catches dug into the table top when being transported , and when packing away the left bed side frame is twisted... Suspect Suspect

ok when I got her there was no gas struts but when preparing her and with info on this forum found said gas struts
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


well the rod that was left on all four were the same and dutifully replaced Suspect had our thoughts on how it happened thinking that stuff that has been packed away jammed underneath them and bent them BUT now not to sure as the twist in the bed end and the window catches gouging the table and the catches are all bent in ..
I hope to get photos to show the problems I haven't got a clue what has happened to her to cause all this but only speculate
the corners on the end bed frame welding have broke because the frame has twisted
think that's clear as mud
will try hard to get photos to show and with allot of help from you lot she will be good as new

manchestercamper

Posts : 43
Join date : 2012-02-11

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by manchestercamper on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

Hi
Last year my wife and I travelled to Itally see Iienry below. We were in a dandy 4-5 brown.

From Manchester
1 night Calais
1 black forest Germany
2 Nights Lake Constance Germany
4 Nights Lake Garda
4 Nights north of Florence
2 Nights campsite in centre of Florence
4 Nights Sienna
1 Night Assisi
4 Nights Rome
2 Nights Pompeii
2 Nights on coast north of Rome
1 Night in Pisa
1 Night black Forrest
2 Nights Belgium Coast

Had a wonderfull time and I am sure you will. We used our acsi card where we could. 16 euros a night in Italy was cheap camping.
We could not use it city center camp sites but where we could

If you would like some more infomation we would be only too pleased.
We used a 12 volt cool box as a fridge did not work that well and a small oven which worked very well you can pick them up for about
£35 pounds they tend to be on offer.

avatar
Kimmie

Posts : 181
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : West Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Kimmie on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 11:57 pm

Caz1960 wrote:The initial journey in Wales has its ups and downs corners that does not help the travel sickness especially when my friends drives so I am doing the first leg at a slower sedate pace also it helps me gage his anxiety levels also as its my car that's doing the journey then she is kitted out with audio and visual entertainment .
I have also got homoeopathic remedy that will help with stress and travelling without knocking him out..
then i plan that we will only travel max for 5 hrs in the car with brakes roughly do 250 miles in that time at speed of average 50 mph think my maths are right
then camp but have learnt that most camp-sites charge you for 2 days even if you want to stay for one night so may as well stay for the two and enjoy the area.
got a list of municipal sites along the route we wish to take so we will just travel from one to the other and taking in the sites on the way .
as for the journey back it will be shorter as my son travels better when he knows we are going home so from the ferry straight home .
As for the oven (pref gas) is because my son's foods mainly oven baked and found eating out a tad expensive mind you so was the shopping so allot more brought from Aldis will be taken with us to last the trip hence the need also for the 3 way fridge ..
also the laptop will be coming with me and got satellite system from Aldis and awaiting a tv/dvd to arrive and that will have to come with us also getting a satellite tracking thingy from eBay
we are doing the Dunkirk port again because its cheaper than the others and only 2 hrs as I hate boats !! affraid


for those that don't know and wonder why I am pandering to my teenagers needs it is because he is Autistic so touch, sound ,smell ,crowds causes him stress but being me I feel that he has to learn how to deal with situations and as you know I cause most kayos and that helps him as it's always MUM's Fault

I have brought detailed maps of Italy and marked out the bike routes and also places of interest Colosseum, pompi and will try and see them so now to set dates as the race starts on the 1st of may It does not give me much time

Cazz will do the same as last time as many freebies as I can .....but will try not to get hit by them


Ooh nice one Caz! My 21 year old has autism too, and god have we done some pandering over the years affraid
I'm like you though, get him used to a bit of "sheltered" normality rather than wrap him up in cotton wool lol!





avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

to Manchestercamper I will be picking your brains soon just as soon as this house here gets back to normality and my brain starts to work ( just gone through an emotional overload )
and Kimmie with you on that one I keep being told that I ask to much of him but hey life has to be dealt with and what happens when I am not around ( i.e on a beach somewhere drinking pina coladas )

manchestercamper

Posts : 43
Join date : 2012-02-11

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by manchestercamper on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:12 am

Only to pleased to give any info I have either on open post or PM
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

booked tickets the ferries for the 6th of may but note to self when you see a bargain get it there and then as I saw earlier when checking out prices in Jan/Feb the fare was £63 return but went to book them £108 big difference so we are off have booked a premier hotel for the night before the ferry near Dover just a bit of lux before we hit the Ferries affraid oh I hate boats!!!
so check list :
1. tow bar fixed = job done
2. tickets booked= job done
3. got 3 way fridge = well when I say got fridge its more like I have brought one but haven't collected it as the weather has turned I don't fancy doing the journey to Tyne and Wear yet so no panic yet affraid
4.to get the old girl out and work on her so when the high winds here die down she will be worked on and oh do I have gorgeous wall paper for her ( yep she is having a big make over ) totally glammed up flower
5. went to B&M store yesterday ( what a mess but that's another tale)got a folding BBQ for £12 bargain as that will replace getting the oven

getting excited now

manchestercamper

Posts : 43
Join date : 2012-02-11

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by manchestercamper on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

What camp sites are you planningto stay on have you thought of a ACSI CARD?

manchestercamper

Posts : 43
Join date : 2012-02-11

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by manchestercamper on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm

For future reference dfds ferries offer discounts for car and caravan or trailer when the major caravaning shows are on.
We got the discount number from the UKcampsites forum. I will not tell you what the return price was put it was less than you paid we booked it when birmingham show was on.
avatar
peridot
Dandy Admin

Posts : 545
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Newport

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by peridot on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

Caz1960 wrote:... and oh do I have gorgeous wall paper for her ( yep she is having a big make over ) totally glammed up flower

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Very Happy

avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:49 am

manchestercamper wrote:What camp sites are you planningto stay on have you thought of a ACSI CARD?

yep got the card last year think its still in date
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:52 am

manchestercamper wrote:For future reference dfds ferries offer discounts for car and caravan or trailer when the major caravaning shows are on.
We got the discount number from the UKcampsites forum. I will not tell you what the return price was put it was less than you paid we booked it when birmingham show was on.

I looked in Jan and meant to book but with a brain like a sieve months shot passed and I missed the cheap times and now learnt get it sooner than later
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 1:05 am

peridot wrote:
Caz1960 wrote:... and oh do I have gorgeous wall paper for her ( yep she is having a big make over ) totally glammed up flower

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Very Happy




She is out of storage and up
that's why I have been off line for a while but instead of being busy tarting her up for her trip all I have done is sit in her and that's that so armed to the teeth with my stuff and camera I will be working hard on her !!promise Razz
just dying (bedroom) curtains to match the interior

oh MR Itch she is straight I did the string test and she was ok so I will snap the probs and post it




avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3179
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:12 am

oh MR Itch she is straight I did the string test and she was ok so I will snap the probs and post it

Photos of the problem would be a great idea. I was going to bang out a 2 minute answer to my interpretation of where you were up to except it was anything but 2 minutes. I've left my rantings here then you can see that when you ask something I don't just come up with a stupid answer. I have to think and strain to come up with a stupid answer.

String test? I remember saying about trying to get long straight edges or square section steel tube to see if the frame was twisted. As looking at the ends from far enough away would show the rear on one side up and one side down wrt the front if it was twisted.

String test: I've used string (Well a rod or tape measure) to check if a box structure was square but that would be be square as if looking down in a plan view. I thought your problem was you were worried it was twisted. Mind you if it was twisted I'm tending to think two corners would converge and two separate. So the string could work. Your just brighter than me but that's not difficult. Then again if the front and rear were rotated about the centre line in opposite directions it could be twisted and the corner to corner distances be the same.***

If I've misunderstood what you were worried about sorry. If not a quick re think. Large straight edges are not easy to find. Either:
1) Level the 6 without the cover (remembering to turn the spirit level round through 1800 as most levels aren't level) but still folded. Get 4 blocks of wood and put them on the corners. Beg steal or borrow a cheap laser level. Set same up and check variance on corners.
2) Set camper up level within 10 feet of a wall. Use a cheap laser pointer placed on front and back edges to see if they are twisted out of true.
3) Accurate answer. Flutter eyelashes to someone who does engineering and has access to a decent inclinometer (Clinometer) If measuring yourself you have to remember that the instrument must point in the same direction. i.e. when measuring opposite sides you cant turn it through 1800 Easiest is to let them measure. It has to be an accurate inclinometer with resolution to 0.1 of a degree or less. Building inclinometers with an accuracy of 0.5 of a degree are no use 0.5 of a degree in 9' is about 0.9"

The crux. What I don't know
I've missed out the angle calculating sites I've found to help you with the trigonometry (why it's here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but my basic problem is should you measure the 6 accurately it won't be square.
It won't be square because nothing is. The terms straight, parallel and square never exist if you measure them accurately enough. I said use an inclinometer with a resolution of or better than 0.1 degree but 0.10 on 9' is still 189 thou or 4.75mm. I don't have the knowledge to tell you what is acceptable. I don't know if we have engineering correspondents on here who can say. Wingnut as a first thought I might say Ian at Riva but I'm unsure but I'm not about to burst a gut on this. If you want to measure it accurately I'll find a figure. I just don't want to spend two days doing that to find we are looking elsewhere.

The pics are a good idea. As I remember your fear of the frame being twisted stem from re attaching the wall hinge? Now while a twisted body could have caused that I've always worked to the idea that if a symptom presented after you did a job examine how you did the job. Not casting aspersions but it is a given approach to problems. Also the cheapest and easiest fix is if there was a problem with your re attachment.

Third re think. Re measuring with string. If we twisted a plane about an axis the opposite corners could have the same distance between themselves. We don't have a single plane though we have two parallel planes. One formed by the bottom four corners and one formed by the top four corners. The frame is not likely to have twisted about the top plane and if it twisted about the plane formed by the bottom four corners then at the top four corners we would see 2 converging and 2 diverging. So string across the corners is adequate to ascertain squareness. If you already knew all this I'm going off to cry. This has taken hours thinking and re appraising as I wrote. Anyone else's thoughts?


avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

Shocked ok thanks for that
The string method one placed on pole in the ground and pulled taught then measured the other side with equal distance between them placed the Dandy in the middle and measured distance if all equal she is straight if not then she is either on a squiff or she is twisted but luckily she measures OK even by eye she looks OK so thanks for that and yep longer than 2 minutes
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3179
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

Missed what you said completely. I was just thinking of using string to measure across the opposite corners to check that the diagonal length is the same.
Guess I'm not the only one one who missed what was being said. A lot of the time I write things to aid thinking about what I would do. It can always be expressed better later.

If you can do the pictures we can move on and look at what your issues are.

Do you have a printer/copier? if you do would you humour me and draw what you did with the piece of string and turn it into an image that can post please. No Mona Lisa just a few lines would be fine. I do like to understand what people are saying it might be your method we use to help the next person who is scared that they have a bent frame.

Remember me whittering about an inclinometer but saying that the there was still a large possible inaccuracy at distances like 9 foot? (4.75mm at 0.10) Have a quick look at this footage of Mark Evans using one to build an aeroplane. Viewing from 02.45 to 06.10 should give you the general idea and I can tell your desperate to find out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 58
Location : Cardigan west wales

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Missed what you said completely. I was just thinking of using string to measure across the opposite corners to check that the diagonal length is the same.
Guess I'm not the only one one who missed what was being said. A lot of the time I write things to aid thinking about what I would do. It can always be expressed better later.

If you can do the pictures we can move on and look at what your issues are.

Do you have a printer/copier? if you do would you humour me and draw what you did with the piece of string and turn it into an image that can post please. No Mona Lisa just a few lines would be fine. I do like to understand what people are saying it might be your method we use to help the next person who is scared that they have a bent frame.

Remember me whittering about an inclinometer but saying that the there was still a large possible inaccuracy at distances like 9 foot? (4.75mm at 0.10) Have a quick look at this footage of Mark Evans using one to build an aeroplane. Viewing from 02.45 to 06.10 should give you the general idea and I can tell your desperate to find out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



ok will do but this may take some time going to try now it might be tech that will out smart me so here goes and catch you later






Sponsored content

Re: Giro D'ITALIA

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue 19 Jun 2018, 1:24 pm