Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dark Blue Quality

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Dark Blue Quality

Post by mike on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

At 500kg unladen i doubt the awning is included,yes i have seen two dandy 6s on ebay with the press stud awning fittings although i think they are rare, after owning a delta and now a 6 i prefer a 6 with light weight awning over the delta and original awning.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:51 pm

One day i will get my brain in gear yes its the petrol punto,its actually my second we bought the delta towed it with the punto then got the second punto and a few months later bought the 6,its a 1986.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

Ours is dark blue and i would have a dark blue over a light blue or earlier if based on appearance vinyl flooring a better awning and generally being newer.
I would though say our previous very well used dandy Delta was better built and the materials seemed to be better.
The kitchen cupboards were much stonger than the later cheap MDF units in ours also the metal in the wings and around the bedboards is vinyl coated steel and as such was rusting causing the vinyl to lift off it is not too bad but the previous 90s dandy we had the metal was chrome plated and it was not rusting even though it was 11yrs older.
The paint finish was poor on the tub and had rubbed off around the top as a result of friction from the transit cover yet again our earlier dandy was better in this aspect.
I am not sure about the thickness of the pvc between dark blues and earlier versions.Ours was a matt finish and felt more pliable than our earlier 94 model but only RivaDandy can confirm if the GSM is the same on later models.
The later Dandy didn't cover the tub as well as our previous Dandy this was a problem in hard rain as water would get up under the front of cover and into the tub.
This is an easy fix though with the aid of a tarpaulin under the transit cover.
The later Dark Blues had the option of a superior lightweight vinyl awning which is alot bigger and easier to erect,ours had a pvc awning but was easier to put up than earlier Dandys due to having Zip off sides.
The heating is also more efficient on later models being thermostatically controlled blown air heating however it is noiser.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

I think it could be Kevin that said in one of his posts the dark blue dandys didn't drop in quality any more than the other makes of campers, it could be dandy owners are more upfront Very Happy and honest.

mike
odienoo

Post by odienoo on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

Hi Navver,

You would be surprised at how much you can actually pack inside a Designer. Please feel free to have a look through my Photobucket pics where I have added 100+ photos of our Designer including each storage area and also of the complete unit folded down:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
eg:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have recently bought a high side Destiny to replace the Designer and whilst this will suit us better in the long run as we are planning to start a family in the not too distant future I keep thinking that we will miss the convenience of the Designer as it is so light to tow and I can easily erect it on my own. We towed our Designer with my OH's Mazda MX5 and it was great but there is no way I'd want to tow the Destiny with something that small. Also the weight difference is really noticeable when moving the thing around, the Designer I can push up our slightly inclined driveway with ease but I have no chance with the destiny.

Good luck finding the best Dandy for you,

Chris
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

I was just thinking how the change of design of the awnings must have added a good bit of weight (The original awning was quite different navver) So 2 questions for Mick or anyone with a long memory.

1) As awnings were an extra did the net weight include the weight of the awning?
2) Has anyone seen a 6 with the PVC flaps on the batwings to attach an awning?

Mrs P was sure she had seen one somewhere and has now remembered it was Musicmans. See link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:51 pm

Hi Navver

We previously owned a light blue Designer (1995) and more recently a dark blue Dimension. In my opinion both great Dandy's and we only changed as we needed a bit more living space for the four of us.

I can add some input on the Designer net weight. I've also seen somewhere Dandy quoted 300Kg for the light blue one and 395Kg for the dark blue. I had our light blue model on a weighbridge and it came in at just over 400Kg. (includes underfloor heater and winterised side walls). This didn't include the PVC awning (30Kg) or anything else. I had 750Kg suspension units on this one. I have seen one Designer owner with a mobility scooter carried on the bike rack (shown earlier in this thread). They had the bigger suspension units as well.
Steve
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm

Was that 400Kg empty as in ex works or loaded?

Think I'm hearing the call to 750Kg suspension.

The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

stevie9398 wrote:Hi Navver

We previously owned a light blue Designer (1995) and more recently a dark blue Dimension. In my opinion both great Dandy's and we only changed as we needed a bit more living space for the four of us.

I can add some input on the Designer net weight. I've also seen somewhere Dandy quoted 300Kg for the light blue one and 395Kg for the dark blue. I had our light blue model on a weighbridge and it came in at just over 400Kg. (includes underfloor heater and winterised side walls). This didn't include the PVC awning (30Kg) or anything else. I had 750Kg suspension units on this one. I have seen one Designer owner with a mobility scooter carried on the bike rack (shown earlier in this thread). They had the bigger suspension units as well.
Steve

Hi Steve, hope all is well with your new Dimension, we are taking your old Designer (now named Olivia) out for her first trip of the year over Easter. Looking forward to getting to use her loads over the summer, as we only managed 1 trip away after we bought her off you in September.
stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

Hi Jayne

We're off to Oxfordshire in a few weeks time and Saumur, Loire in the summer.
We would like to come on one of the meets but we are governed by school holidays so will depend on where and when really.

With a bit of practice we can put the Dimension up and down quite easily. Whereas I might have put the Designer up single handed I get one of the family to help now, especially when folding down the roof.

Let's hope we have some decent weather!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:38 am