Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Help with hitch?

Steveb1982

Help with hitch?

Post by Steveb1982 on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:20 pm

Hi all, I recently bought myself a 1984/5 Dandy 4/5 and am so looking forward to using it! though I am struggling to figure out what type of tow ball I need fiiting to tow it (I had trailer delivered). On closer inspection I noticed the words ALKO on the plate listing the weights etc. Does this mean its an ALKO hitch? how do I tell the difference.I was under the impression that older campers were all conventional ball type hitch?
Sorry I am extremely new to the towing game!
Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards
Steve
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Help with hitch?

Post by mike on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

Steveb1982 wrote:Hi all, I recently bought myself a 1984/5 Dandy 4/5 and am so looking forward to using it! though I am struggling to figure out what type of tow ball I need fiiting to tow it (I had trailer delivered). On closer inspection I noticed the words ALKO on the plate listing the weights etc. Does this mean its an ALKO hitch? how do I tell the difference.I was under the impression that older campers were all conventional ball type hitch?
Sorry I am extremely new to the towing game!
Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards
Steve

Steve if its a standard coupling on your dandy then the normal tow ball,it its one of alko stabilising couplings then it needs a matching tow ball as far as i know.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

This is the alko type
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steveb1982

Post by Steveb1982 on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

Thanks for your help , its the original hitch that was on the trailer so I assume its the standard fit.

P.s & it looks nothing like the one in your post. Thanks again.

Best Regards
Steve
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

Steveb1982 wrote:Thanks for your help , its the original hitch that was on the trailer so I assume its the standard fit.

P.s & it looks nothing like the one in your post. Thanks again.

Best Regards
Steve

Yes standard ball.

mike
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 8:51 pm

Mine says alko on it but it is just a standard hitch
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:22 pm

We have an Alko on the van and obviously the Dandy hitch on the dandy, we need more space between the towball and bumper for the Alko than we need for the Dandy, to save grease contamination on our tow ball effecting the Alko system on the van we found it simpler to just change the ball depending on what unit we are towing, the ball doesn't have to be changed as the longer reach will fit both caravan and Dandy .... it's just our personal way of ensuring no contamination. The balls are the same size but the space between the ball and bumper is a little different, we could tow the Dandy on either ball.

Hope this makes sense
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:36 pm

Steve

This has only just shown up as a new thread hence no comment so far.

Is it on this plate where it says ALKO?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The couplings are by ALKO The hitch is this bit that bolts onto the coupling.Like one of these.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ALKO did manufacture a great number if not all of the couplings.

Standard 50mm ball and 50mm ALKO ball

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not good camera angles the ALKO ball is set a little further back and has a slightly deeper recess machined under the ball. It is also painted as protection as it won't be greased to avoid rust.

Steveb1982

Post by Steveb1982 on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 8:55 am

Thanks for the help, I am now under the impression that ALKO just made the hitch but it is a standard coupling. Its an old camper 80's 4/5 model and looking at the pictures you have all provided hitch does not have any additional red buttons - it only says ALKO on the plate where the max weights are engraved.
Best Regards
Steve
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

I was going to comment on the terms used but the more I look especially with different countries terms being common on the interweb the more I see terms being used for differing parts. I'd say that ALKO made the coupling as in the bit with the draw tube in. The part I'd call the hitch is sometimes referred to as the coupling head.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We tend to have standard hitches or coupling heads unless retro fitted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 11:45 am