Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Doors and Floors (and foam)

mishabgt

Doors and Floors (and foam)

Post by mishabgt on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm

Hi All,
new to the forums and to the world of Dandying (is that the correct term?!)

We (my wife 'Nattygeegee' on these forums, and 4yr old son) just bought an 1982 Dandy 4/5 last weekend and have already started looking round for ways to personalise it.

We've already bought material to make new seat/mattress covers with, and are currently sourcing quality foam at a reasonable price (currently 2 local firms have a quote difference of some £90 for supplying the same products!)

Im wanting to re-carpet the floor and, not having had chance to open it up and have a look yet, wondered whether the bench seat and kitchen cupboards merely screw to the floor and can therefore be simply unscrewed to remove the old floatex before putting down new materials?

Also, the door lock does not have any keys. I've found that westalloy make the exterior and interior door handles and lock mechanisms, but cant help but wonder if I cant just go somewhere like B&Q and find a lock barrel that will work?
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: Doors and Floors (and foam)

Post by Phoenix on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

Hello and mishabgt

With regards to removing the Flotex you would be best to use a straight bladed Stanley knife and cut it off at the the edge of the cupboards and bench. They were probably built on top of it. If you take it out from under them you may end up with an annoying squeak and cupboard doors not shutting properly. Your new carpet will hide the edge of the old Flotex.

As for the door lock there is a thread on them here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We doubt if you will find a replacement at B&Q. If we were going to get a new key and barrel we would probably go for one of these.

Hope this helps.
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:55 pm

So we braved the cold weather and had Florence erected on the drive today.

Have removed the matresses and measured them ready for replacement and am now awaiting a quote from our cheapest supplier so far.

I popped into Barry Sharman Caravans in Ipswich with the lock hoping to get a couple of new keys (having taking the barrel out I was hoping to find a WD number but no joy.
That said BSC have provided me with a new barrel and 2 keys for £5.50 - pretty much what I thought 2 keys would cost, so am very happy.

With regard to the floor, I'm thinking I may carpet clean the Flotex and then use it as underlay with a nice pile carpet on top (saves removing or cutting the Flotex and may help keep feet warm)

Also found the missing pin that holds the support for the front wall fastened to the A frame was in the cupboard under the bench seat.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Well done on the barrel and keys.

If you do put a new carpet on top of the Flotex, just be aware the new carpet will tend to creep about on it as you walk on it. Most carpets do this but Flotex is especially prone to it because of the nature of its pile. Wink
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

So if I put double sided carpet tape on top of the Flotex and stuck the carpet to that, will it still creep?
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

You will struggle to get tape to stick to Flotex. Your best bet is if you want to go over the top of the Flotex is to put some gripper round the edge, use some light weight foam underlay and then fit your carpet. That will be soft under foot and keep your tootsies warm. Smile

If you need any instructions we will try and help, or bring Florence to South Norfolk for a day trip. lol! You wouldn't even need to bring any carpet or underlay as long as you don't want a specific bright colour. lol!
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

Hello Mishabgt,

on your purchase
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

Phoenix, thanks for the very generous offer. We may take you up on your offer of help (and possibly materials)
Whereabouts in S Norfolk are you?
May have some various bits of carpet in the loft from when we had our house carpeted a few years ago, so could use that or replenish your stocks if we prefer what you have (and keep the circle of help going)
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:04 pm

Will send you a PM.

Don't worry about replenishing our stock. lol!
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

Our camper and Dandy have matching floors Very Happy Thanks Mr and Mrs P - seems like ages ago now.
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

Well, we've now got the foam via ebay. Can highly recommend a seller called acushionforyou in Southend who has provided decent foam specifically for the job with dacron wrap and stockinette wrap for approx £160 including postage for all 4 pieces for a Dandy 4/5 (mattress, bench seat and two pieces for the mattress/sofa)

Now the fun starts of making the covers Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:20 am