Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Carbon Monoxide

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Carbon Monoxide

Post by Helen on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

Okay people time to get serious, Carbon Monoxide has cost the lives of lots of campers over the years .... the main culprit is being cold No

People try to keep warm anyway they can and have often used bbq's to heat inside, when the flames go out and the coals are hot they are giving off Carbon monoxide that you can't see or smell.

Never pull a used bbq inside hoping to keep warm ...... never go to bed at night with a warm bbq anywhere near the openings or vents as the fumes can still come inside.

I've recently read some bad advice (far too important to not address this) that Carbon Monoxide detectors don't work in tents ...... well let me assure you they DO, we had a fire officer do a demonstration last year at the Woodhall meet and it was shocking at how fast that detector went off and was surprising considering it was extremely windy at the time so you would have expected it to blow fresh air into the tent ....... the alarm went off within minutes of a bbq being put inside the tent.

If you see anyone dopey (and I don't mean me) or unconscious sat in an awning or tent and they've got a bbq in there ..... get them out into the fresh air first Then ring an ambulance, unless there are enough people around to do both at once.

Only use camping equipment for it's intended purpose, if your tent has a cooking area clearly marked with ventilation facility's fine cook there but if not don't take the risk. Always have fitted appliances serviced regularly .... this applies to caravans and motor homes as well as folding campers.

Get a carbon monoxide detector with an alarm .... the cheap ones you stick on and change colour won't wake you up!

Wear thermals if your cold and do everything possible to avoid Carbon monoxide building up in your unit/tent in the first place.








Last edited by Helen on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellings oops)
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by Helen on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:53 pm

Our very lovely fireman

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


It was quite early and some of us weren't quite awake at this point
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

we soon woke up because the chat we were given was brilliant and we we're all riveted ....... spot the Carbon Monoxide detector in his hands !!!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 39
Location : Grimsby

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by ShaunJUK on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

I am posting to bump Helens post to remind everyone before the main camping season begins of the dangers of this nasty gas.

There was another terrible incident in Cumbria where mother and child have died from suspected poisening from carbon monoxide.

I keep a carbon monoxide in my dandy and always put the batteries in and put it on my shelf when camping, it cost £30 when I got it and is probably one of the cheapest yet most valuable bits of kit I own.

This is the one I have and its on offer!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm

Thanks Shaun, I don't think it's highlighted nearly enough, it saddens me that people are still unaware of the dangers and lives are lost ... a Carbon Monoxide detector with an alarm doesn't cost that much

John's on his way to go and get another at that price .... we have more than one unit so could leave one in each rather than take the one we have now with us .... and risk forgetting to take it Carbon Monoxide  184121345
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:55 pm

They were all out at our Tesco but we got one of the first alert digital ones ..... from Tesco £29.99 opened the box and it has Wickes written on the alarm scratch checked Wickes and it's the same price there.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 39
Location : Grimsby

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by ShaunJUK on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

I am shocked affraid Shocked

I have just watched a C&CC Club video on carbon monoxide and although I can kind of understand the reasoning I think the advice should have been explained better.

They mention the use of carbon monoxide detectors in tents and awnings and say you should not use them as they cannot be reliable, now I have heard people give this advise before but surely any help in identifying an invisible gas is a good thing. I can understand that if air flows through a tent then it might not pick up the levels however surely that means the tent is well ventilated and therefore little risk of poisening, if the level goes above safe level then the alarm will sound,, there is no unreliability in it. It sounds its unsafe!

Unreliable means that the alarm will not sound in high levels of gas that will harm, this will never happen, they are 100% reliable in that aspect.

Prevention of any means is good, they make a good statement at the end of "If in doubt leave it out" which is great but surely if in doubt as to whether an alarm will work then why take the risk, leave it in!!

Sponsored content

Carbon Monoxide  Empty Re: Carbon Monoxide

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue 21 May 2019, 10:12 am