Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Rod brakes

hannah3dog

Rod brakes

Post by hannah3dog on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:25 pm

I've put the lockheed non auto reverse hubs and brakes back together and have adjusted the shoes. Does anyone know how far the plunger should move in the Bradley Coupling before the brakes are on. IE what is the distance between the drawtube end and the handbrake that it pushes. If any one has an old Dandy 4 would there be any chance of them measuring it when its at rest. What does the gap become when you let the handbrake off? I'm making a right meal of this. I started by fitting the rods upside down! Your's hopefully
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: Rod brakes

Post by Phoenix on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

Ours is just over 1/8th of an inch. Smile

hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

Hi Phoenix -I was hoping you would reply! So when you brake the car the trailer moves 1/8" closer and the trailer brakes apply. Correct? Could you confirm that you have shoes correctly adjusted in the drum and that they are Lockheed non autoreversing. Could you also confirm it all works well on the road? I've got a Peugeot 106 so want to know it will stop!! If you remember I was worried about the adjuster on the shoes but managed that. I've now broken the front rod - I didn't have a die so need to know what length to repair it to. Very, very many thanks
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

hannah3dog wrote:Hi Phoenix -I was hoping you would reply! So when you brake the car the trailer moves 1/8" closer and the trailer brakes apply. Correct? Could you confirm that you have shoes correctly adjusted in the drum and that they are Lockheed non autoreversing. Could you also confirm it all works well on the road? I've got a Peugeot 106 so want to know it will stop!! If you remember I was worried about the adjuster on the shoes but managed that. I've now broken the front rod - I didn't have a die so need to know what length to repair it to. Very, very many thanks

There is 1/8th gap between the hitch bar and the handbrake lever bit. So when you brake the car the trailer moves forward 1/8th then starts to push on the hand brake lever. The harder you brake the car the harder it pushes the lever the more the brakes are applied. I am not 100% certain they are lockheed brakes, but they are not auto reversing brakes. We have the flip over lever for reversing. It all works fine, if you try to reverse with out flipping the lever over the trailer just locks up.

We have the auto reversing brakes on Dylan our 6 berth and when we first got that the brakes were so sharp when you braked, the trailer was trying to stop the car. That is a weird feeling.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

hannah3dog wrote:Hi Phoenix -I was hoping you would reply! So when you brake the car the trailer moves 1/8" closer and the trailer brakes apply. Correct? Could you confirm that you have shoes correctly adjusted in the drum and that they are Lockheed non autoreversing. Could you also confirm it all works well on the road? I've got a Peugeot 106 so want to know it will stop!! If you remember I was worried about the adjuster on the shoes but managed that. I've now broken the front rod - I didn't have a die so need to know what length to repair it to. Very, very many thanks

Can't remember what free play there is but when asking about the job everyone said leave plenty of slack. I wouldn't panic at 1/4 inch or more. If anything run it and adjust slack out.
How are you repairing without threading the end? Welding threaded end back on? Original rods are available. I guess you don't want to check for spare meat on adjuster ends use new (metric) bar and re tap ends.

One phrase haunts
What does the gap become when you let the handbrake off?
What was the handbrake doing on during adjustment?

Should have had loads on this posted at the weekend but wiped it. Just to confuse you further se this adjustment guide on Thompson caravans with a Rubery Owen hitch but Lockheed brakes. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

Phoenix- many thanks I'll try that!
Tow Itch I wasn't adjusting with the handbrake on! I was thinking of getting a piece of 5/16" threaded bar welded on but where do you get new rods from?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

1st guess [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peak trailers have licence to produce Lockheed components. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bradleys still exist [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Can't find 5/16" UNF rod.

Trailer Tek also feature 5/16" UNF rod [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Presuming it is 5/16" UNF rod your local engineering supplies. Also if you take the rod in they will check the thread in case someone bastardised it in the past. i.e. many shops don't sell lengths of brake pipe with ends on you have to bring the old bit in. Too many arguments because twit and twit had done the job previously and you got a selection of threads. I know rod isn't as perishable so less likely to be tampered with but getting home with the wrong thread rod wouldn't do a lot for your day.

Twit's partner wasn't Twit but the spelling was similar and the "selection" of threads was a illegitimate child "isation". A valid engineering term!
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

How are you getting on with this?

Not exactly suitable for you but I phoned AL-KO's technical department today and they are offering to send a guide to setting up B & B rod brake systems.

I was prompted by seeing the photo of an AL-KO Delta coupling with rod brakes in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If you are still having problems we could pester Bradley for help.

hannah3dog

Update

Post by hannah3dog on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Hi Towitch - I got a length of 5/16 UNF rod and got it welded on. To set up the brakes I wound the drum adjusters until tight then backed off until free. I then adjusted the rod until the handbrake goes on at the right angle ie 2-3 clicks on the ratchet. It seems to all work ok. The undersides are all undersealed now, bearings and brakes set up ok, angle welded on bottom to hold sides + new plastic mudguards. To work further I need decent weather to open it out so its on hold at the moment. Will then fit heater, clean it + fit cooker and then hopefully....! Thank goodness the underneath is pretty rot free. Thank you for asking
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:51 pm

Great. Didn't want to leave you stuck and flirt onto new subjects. We will have a tome soon on rod brakes I just lost the last one I was tryping out when it was all but complete.

hannah3dog

Picture 7" Lockheed brakes

Post by hannah3dog on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two pictures of Right Hand (offside) Lockheed 7" standard brakes (non auto reverse) on Dandy 4 1960/70 Orange

(in case anyone can't remember how to get them back together!)

Note also. I tidied up bottom chewed phenolic side by welding angle underneath. Angle was first clamped to chassis to hold side in and upstand between side and angle filled with Sikaflex a brilliant rubbery adhesive/sealant used on boats. It worked a treat!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm