Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Milky Awning Windows

fearful wizard

Milky Awning Windows

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:46 am

Opened my awning yesterday and replaced all the elastic cord,and made new guy lines etc:
But need to clean the plastic windows (milky white)so searching for a product to do this.
Can anyone recommend a product that they have used?
I found this on the net, expensive but if it does the job woth it. Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Milky Awning Windows

Post by mike on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:01 am

fearful wizard wrote:Opened my awning yesterday and replaced all the elastic cord,and made new guy lines etc:
But need to clean the plastic windows (milky white)so searching for a product to do this.
Can anyone recommend a product that they have used?
I found this on the net, expensive but if it does the job woth it. Pete

You shouldn't need to do it,after its been up for maybe 30 min it will clear on its own.

mike

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

Thanks mike but draped it over my gazebo and left it all afternoon but didnt clear Sad
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

fearful wizard wrote:Thanks mike but draped it over my gazebo and left it all afternoon but didnt clear Sad

Strange because we where warned not to worry about it when we purchased our first dandy,in the time we have been using it have experienced it a few times and it has always cleared on its own.

mike
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm

I had a shock when I opened up my Dandy on it's second outing, we didn't use the awning but the pvc windows of the designer were milky white, I was really upset to have ruined my new to me Dandy after only one use ...... within an hour I could see the edges clearing and not that long after the windows were crystal clear again. I wonder if it's something that's been used to clean the awning that may have caused this or could it just be that when mine cleared it was a lovely warm dry day, perhaps there's too much damp in the air to clear them scratch

I have heard of that stuff in the link, my side window has a bit of scratching (we now use towels to protect when folded) I may give this ago on that.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

After thinking about it,i was cleaning the pvc with cif the last time i put it up, and it started to rain very heavily.
After it stopped i wiped everything down with a cloth as i was packing it away wet. So i think i have contaminated the windows with cif.
I have only just opened it after 5 months and it was still wet, some of the window is clear and some milky, so will have a ride out to a caravan place and ask advice.
Pete Sad

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:53 pm

I use cif on mine and I rinse it too by just chucking a bucket of water over then wipe down and have had no problems, I did try to get a mark off one of the windows with some nail varnish remover and that left a white mark. affraid

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:12 pm

Thanks helen, so is it okay to use cif on the windows?
Will se what i can find out.
There are lots of products out there just a matter of finding which one is best. Pete
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

Sorry I could have worded it better, I meant I clean my awning with cif not the windows

I didn't clean the windows with cif, although it's only got microparticles and says it doesn't scratch I wouldn't risk it. I clean the pvc with it not the windows, I use washing up liquid with a bit of vinegar in warm water to clean the windows. What I was trying to say is that if you didn't scrub the windows with cif but the rain washed it off then there shouldn't be a problem.
Following the nail varnish remover incident, I only ever use cif on the pvc of my Dandy and the warm water, vinegar/washing up liquid for my windows and nothing that's solvent goes near my dandy, although I know other people do it's just my preference.

I think the scratch remover stuff may be lightly abrasive .... not sure but will look into it.

I did ponder on how likely it is that the damp cold weather wasn't clearing the windows the same as they do when it's warm and there's less damp in the air. Would it be worth waiting to find out if they stay the same in the summer months?

Mine had been wet for about 6 weeks, perhaps it takes longer to clear after 5 months and the conditions at the moment just are'nt doing it. I'd be tempted to hang on and give it a chance when there's less humidity and damp.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm

Thanks Helen, guy in caravan shop said most awning windows are double skinned, if it doesnt clear use a needle to pierce the inner side of the window at an angle affraid .
But that sounds a bit drastic so im going to hang the front panel up in my garage and see if it clears by itself, its a lot warmer in my garage.
I could also try warming windows with a hair dryer on a low seeting and see if that helps. Pete
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

I'd go for trying to dry it out as it's more than likely the cause, no point in trying other stuff until you know for sure but from what you've described it's probably just because it's been away wet for so long and needs time and dry air. I wouldn't stick needles in it affraid affraid affraid

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:33 pm

Just hung the awning front on top my large rabbit hutch, rabbits think they are camping lol!
Its a lot clearer now, but still misty, so its poss the cold weather causing it to clear so slowly, will leave it out till tomorrow (window doesnt appear double skinned. Pete Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

I have rabbits too ...... watch the little sods for chewing it even through the bars Twisted Evil We repaired a hole in Eilis awning window and that wasn't double skinned either Very Happy

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

they chew everything spent £50 on a run, gradually eating it.
will leave awning front out overnight and see what its like tomorrow.
This is why i call myself fearful wizard helen. Very Happy

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm

That's lovely Pete, your little Rory rabbit looks so cute Very Happy

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

I am afraid rory has passed on, have two new rabbits now they are twins so cant tell them apart call them both rupert.
Never thought about the rabbits chewing the awning, have moved it ferther away from the hutch.thanks Pete.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm