Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

It's a bit annoying

Helen
Dandy Owner

It's a bit annoying

Post by Helen on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:30 pm

As soon as I've got used to something, someone see's fit to change it. Facebook changed and now we have a timeline, outlook express changes and it's usually when I've just figured out how to use the last changes they made ...... took me ages to figure out my new look 'mailbox' and I was at first flummoxed about how to send a message.

I've been with O2 for my broadband for a few years, pay by direct debit and have been happy with the service ....... Got a message to say we're selling off the broadband side of things to Sky! Don't worry nothing will change for a while ...... that means it's going to change probably meaning more expensive. Evil or Very Mad We went with O2 because we got a good deal so long as we have a mobile phone with them ...... I don't think sky will offer us the same deal Mad I'm going to have to shop around now ....... I don't know what will be offered by sky yet

Any suggestions as to what broadband provider I should go for? our phone is with BT and I've yet to look into what they offer,
Who do use and are they good value Question
The Admiral

Re: It's a bit annoying

Post by The Admiral on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

Don't go with Virgin Media, although reasonably priced their broadband is rubbish (well their new so called 'super hub' is anyway).
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

We were with Virgin but they started to creep the price up after a while. We went with a BT home hub package and got free hour long calls to land lines too.

Think its the BT anytime package.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

That's the worry I have with Sky, we had the price creep up plus it was difficult to get hold of anyone if we had a problem Neutral
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

We were originally with Vodafone at Home (cheap deal as I have a mobile contract with them) but then they sold out and it went to pot.
As we already have SkyTV, I looked at moving to them (was a bit nervous about bringing the phone and Internet across in case of major downtime, but needn't have worried.

The transition was seedless (on the day of switchover plugged in the Sky router on return from work to find our new connection working.

Speed And reliability is better than ever and support have been fine whenever we've needed it.

Would recommend (and if you want some M&S vouchers for signing up to sky let me know and we can do a recommendation.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

That's who my service is already being transferred to, It's good to know other peoples experience of each provider though as I can then make a decision based on more than just an advert or what a sales person is saying, they're only going to tell you the good bits Laughing
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm

We only use a PAYG mobile internet wi-fi thing, no contract, no hassle, no unwanted calls, nice and simple and ideal for our light use.

PS, I've also closed my Facebook account, in case anyone is wondering why I've disappeared there. I don't think I told anyone. Embarassed
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

It seams everyone has their own opinions and experiences. As some of you know I work in the world of IT; my advice is if you have Virgin Media area don't rule them out. We are with Virgin Media for Broadband and have received excellent service for nearly 10 years. In terms of cost VM go to great lengths to keep customers, you just have to have the balls to phone there disconnections/retentions dept and kick up a fuss. I'd be interested to understand why people say VM's broadband is rubbish - is this just a perception? From a technical perspective Cable Broadband should be far superior than an equivalent ADSL offering in terms of real world speed.

In the UK for the most part you realistically have two options Virgin Media or an ADSL provider (all of these providers require a BT Line to your property). There are other options such as BT Infinity but unless you are a hardcore gamer/surfer/downloader, you watch TV over it, etc, etc I can't see the point for shelling out for this.......the average Joe simply wont utilise this fully at this time.

Do you just want BB or do you want TV, Phone, Mobile facilities thrown in as well? Once you've settled on what you want I'd be inclined to shop about and play providers off against one another. Have a look at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. and then hit the the usual comparison sites and see what deals you can get.

Hope this helps?

Ben
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:39 pm

bgarston wrote:It seams everyone has their own opinions and experiences. As some of you know I work in the world of IT; my advice is if you have Virgin Media area don't rule them out. We are with Virgin Media for Broadband and have received excellent service for nearly 10 years. In terms of cost VM go to great lengths to keep customers, you just have to have the balls to phone there disconnections/retentions dept and kick up a fuss. I'd be interested to understand why people say VM's broadband is rubbish - is this just a perception? From a technical perspective Cable Broadband should be far superior than an equivalent ADSL offering in terms of real world speed.

In the UK for the most part you realistically have two options Virgin Media or an ADSL provider (all of these providers require a BT Line to your property). There are other options such as BT Infinity but unless you are a hardcore gamer/surfer/downloader, you watch TV over it, etc, etc I can't see the point for shelling out for this.......the average Joe simply wont utilise this fully at this time.

Do you just want BB or do you want TV, Phone, Mobile facilities thrown in as well? Once you've settled on what you want I'd be inclined to shop about and play providers off against one another. Have a look at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and then hit the the usual comparison sites and see what deals you can get.

Hope this helps?

Ben
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ben when I said their broadband was rubbish this is what I meant - the hub is in the front reception room, if I'm using my phone or iPad in the rear reception room or heaven forbid the kitchen the signal keeps dropping out. The speed ok can't fault that, but I want a wifi service I can reliably access without being in the same room as the hub. We've complained but they are decidedly uninterested in doing anything about it and their customer service is ***t
Definitely going to be shopping around for alternatives when this current contract runs out in July.

navver

Post by navver on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm

We have Virgin broadband, TV & phone. The broadband is excellent, 50 Meg and I actually get that speed.

It seems expensive and I cannot get them to say how the bill is made up. You ring them up to change things, tell them what you want to change and they tell you the new price. Because everything is in packages it really is difficult to get to the bottom of it.

They seem to have packages for new customers and packages for existing customers but do not seem to publish details of the existing customer deals, only the new customer deals. Grrrrrrrrrr.

I feel I do need the fast broadband though as I mostly work from home using VPN with large files such as AutoCad etc.
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

The Admiral wrote:
bgarston wrote:It seams everyone has their own opinions and experiences. As some of you know I work in the world of IT; my advice is if you have Virgin Media area don't rule them out. We are with Virgin Media for Broadband and have received excellent service for nearly 10 years. In terms of cost VM go to great lengths to keep customers, you just have to have the balls to phone there disconnections/retentions dept and kick up a fuss. I'd be interested to understand why people say VM's broadband is rubbish - is this just a perception? From a technical perspective Cable Broadband should be far superior than an equivalent ADSL offering in terms of real world speed.

Do you just want BB or do you want TV, Phone, Mobile facilities thrown in as well? Once you've settled on what you want I'd be inclined to shop about and play providers off against one another. Have a look at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and then hit the the usual comparison sites and see what deals you can get.

Hope this helps?

Ben

Ben when I said their broadband was rubbish this is what I meant - the hub is in the front reception room, if I'm using my phone or iPad in the rear reception room or heaven forbid the kitchen the signal keeps dropping out. The speed ok can't fault that, but I want a wifi service I can reliably access without being in the same room as the hub. We've complained but they are decidedly uninterested in doing anything about it and their customer service is ***t
Definitely going to be shopping around for alternatives when this current contract runs out in July.

Hey Jayne,

I see, yes this is more of an issue with the limitations of domestic WiFi solutions than the BB service. Routers provided with domestic broadband aren't great regardless of provider (particularly when compared to their more industrial counterparts which can run in thousands of £££££'s). WiFi is great when it works but can equally be a pain and will almost never be better than a good old fashioned piece of copper cable. Issues with WiFi are particularly prevalent if the router/access point isn't central in the house, your house is particularly large or your house is old and built withstand the apocalypse with stone walls several feet thick! :-)

Have a look at this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It will probably raise more questions than answers, but please ask and I'll do my best to help.

If you absolutely must use WiFi but can't move the router I'd be inclined to look at buying one or more wireless repeaters to increase WiFi coverage: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you don't strictly need to use WiFi Powerline Adapters are really very good and are a quick, easy and reliable way of getting a 'net connection to areas WiFi can't reach. Essentially Powerline Adapters can send your internet connection over your household's existing electrical wiring system....These are about the best but arnt any good for your iPhone/Pad: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Ben
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:44 am

I don't particularly want a tv package, we had the old Cable then NTL broadband and phone/tv before virgin took them over, we then moved everything to sky and the bills seemed to creep up and so we bought a free sat box ...... not as many channels but it costs nothing. I don't download much but need to be able to access the internet from my bedroom and the router is in the front room. I'm not stuck into a contract with anyone at the moment and to be honest prefer it that way ........ it's years since I changed my phone or internet services because I was happy with what I have. My son has BT infinity but he uses his a lot for gaming. I've looked at lots of stuff and it bamboozles me, it feels like a minefield of too much information because as many know I'm not that technically minded. I chose O2 because it was a simple case of this is the broadband we offer and this is how much it will cost, keeping the phone separate also gave me simplicity as I knew exactly what I was getting and paid a set amount each month that's been satisfactory and has more than covered the bills - currently not paying anything as we have built up that much credit we get a 3 month break. What I don't want is to end up tied into a package deal to find that it's not good value for what we want/need or use, I don't want tv added on just because it comes as part of the deal or my phone moving to another provider just because it seems easier to have them all in one place.

I don't want another 18 month contract that starts off good value (usually for the first 6 months) then gets expensive for the following 12 but would rather pay a set amount all the way through.

I just want to surf the net, chat on here, use my emails and be able to shop online as I've always done but with the option of using my laptop anywhere in the house. I use dongles for when we are away but that wouldn't be cost effective as a permanent solution for me. Having everything bundled together isn't out of the question I just need to look into what's available but more importantly what is suitable for my needs. I'll have to look through the comparison sites and take into consideration what peoples personal experiences of each provider are ..... thanks for your input on this
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:28 am

bgarston wrote:
The Admiral wrote:

Hope this helps?

Ben

Hey Jayne,

I see, yes this is more of an issue with the limitations of domestic WiFi solutions than the BB service. Routers provided with domestic broadband aren't great regardless of provider (particularly when compared to their more industrial counterparts which can run in thousands of £££££'s). WiFi is great when it works but can equally be a pain and will almost never be better than a good old fashioned piece of copper cable. Issues with WiFi are particularly prevalent if the router/access point isn't central in the house, your house is particularly large or your house is old and built withstand the apocalypse with stone walls several feet thick! :-)

Have a look at this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It will probably raise more questions than answers, but please ask and I'll do my best to help.

If you absolutely must use WiFi but can't move the router I'd be inclined to look at buying one or more wireless repeaters to increase WiFi coverage: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you don't strictly need to use WiFi Powerline Adapters are really very good and are a quick, easy and reliable way of getting a 'net connection to areas WiFi can't reach. Essentially Powerline Adapters can send your internet connection over your household's existing electrical wiring system....These are about the best but arnt any good for your iPhone/Pad: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben, our house is 100 years old next year and does have thick walls which I think does contribute to the problem Smile we'll certainly look at some of the solutions you've suggested. Many thanks for your help.
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

The Admiral wrote:
bgarston wrote:
The Admiral wrote:

Hope this helps?

Ben

Hey Jayne,

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben, our house is 100 years old next year and does have thick walls which I think does contribute to the problem Smile we'll certainly look at some of the solutions you've suggested. Many thanks for your help.

Your house being 100 years old will almost beyond a shadow of a doubt be a key factor as to why WiFi doesn't work well in your house. Unfortunately changing Broadband Service Provider will not improve matters. You'll need to invest some time investigating how to boost your WiFi signal somehow and you'll probably have to part with some cash too if you want to improve matters.

Sorry it's probably not the answer you wanted!

Cheers

Ben
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

We have the same problem,even mobile phones dont work in the back rooms of the house,i use a cable for this desktop wifi for my tablet but only in the same room as the hub.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:57 pm

A chance customer phone call today from BT regarding broadband

Started with me saying 'I'm not too good at the moment can you call back another time'

Mid conversation about 15 minutes in 'no I haven't got a pen near me and find it difficult to walk'

'well remember this email then it's an easy one'

40 minutes later 'write down this number'
'I've already told you I can't get to a pen'
'well try to remember the number'
'I'll try to get to a pen'
'okay I'll wait'
'your orders complete'
'What order'
'we've sent you an email'

emails arrived and they've set up a limited broadband plus a call plan also they're going to send me email bills from now on ...... another 45 minutes of automated services trying to get through to the correct person ....... cancelled. Talk about pushy sellers and being bombarded into something Mad
In future any sales calls that don't agree to call back another day and the phone will go down, I just ummed and okayed all through because I wasn't in the mood for listening ..... didn't even know I'd agreed to anything. I'll do the research, find something that suits me then phone the provider.

Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:07 am

I have Talk-talk we have unlimited broadband free suits us as my son is a hardcore gamer and I am on half the time , dont know if its just certain area that are free but found them the cheapest as I only pay for phone calls if over 1 hour the rest is free just line rental and small monthly fee £30 thats all for all my usage bearing in mind my son can go 24hrs for days on gaming flower
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:50 am

BT have a similar thing for just over £33 per month but that includes line rental, first 6 months of broadbands free the free period being split to bring the monthly payments down but your tied into an 18 month contract and it's only evening and weekend calls that are free.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 4:49 am