Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Leisure Batteries

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Leisure Batteries

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:28 pm

doc

Likewise fair enough.
Looking back on Peridot's original post I see he said.
They had a Bosch L4 018 advertised at £85 - not much more than the Numax. I gave them a call and it turns out that the batteries listed on their website are actually out of date and no longer available. However they had the newer Bosch L4 033 105Ah available at £87.50 delivered.
Was yours ordered online if they are still having issues with the product that they list then that is naughty.

As you are not afraid of speaking your mind did you find anything worthwhile on our battery thread? I fear as the subject is a black art and we are not in the business we are just limited to listening to what luminaries say and relaying their thought with readers left guessing as to who might be closest to the truth.

I see that despite Charles sterling plumping for an unsealed lead acid battery you both went with sealed "leisure" batteries. Was that just because it is now getting so hard to find a flooded lead acid battery and the price advantage has disappeared?
Was it just me who had to look up the required IU charging programme required for these batteries?

Do you have a Dandy or some other form of camper or caravan and just found us via Google? I'm not looking to run you off the forum for heresy if you don't have a Dandy I'll take comment from anywhere.

doc

Post by doc on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:46 pm

Tow Itch wrote: doc

Likewise fair enough.
Looking back on Peridot's original post I see he said.
They had a Bosch L4 018 advertised at £85 - not much more than the Numax. I gave them a call and it turns out that the batteries listed on their website are actually out of date and no longer available. However they had the newer Bosch L4 033 105Ah available at £87.50 delivered.
Was yours ordered online if they are still having issues with the product that they list then that is naughty.

As you are not afraid of speaking your mind did you find anything worthwhile on our battery thread? I fear as the subject is a black art and we are not in the business we are just limited to listening to what luminaries say and relaying their thought with readers left guessing as to who might be closest to the truth.

I see that despite Charles sterling plumping for an unsealed lead acid battery you both went with sealed "leisure" batteries. Was that just because it is now getting so hard to find a flooded lead acid battery and the price advantage has disappeared?
Was it just me who had to look up the required IU charging programme required for these batteries?

Do you have a Dandy or some other form of camper or caravan and just found us via Google? I'm not looking to run you off the forum for heresy if you don't have a Dandy I'll take comment from anywhere.

I think I might owe you an apology, Tow Itch, in that I don't own a Dandy, or indeed any other kind of camper etc.. I do however suffer from a somewhat unreliable overhead power supply, and it struck me that an inverter might be a good idea. It then struck me that a decent battery to go with it might be an even better idea.

And so I drifted into the arcane world of leisure batteries, which, if I'm honest, I'd never even heard of. And being always ready to learn new things, and research anything costing more than a few pounds, I found my way, via Google, into your excellent forum. As I recall, I had to join to be able to view a link, and that link (I think) was to carbatteriesonline!

Which is where we started. So thanks to all for teaching me about leisure batteries - and for the tip-off on price. I shall get my money back from the company via chargeback if I have to, but what I would prefer to get is the battery. Yes it was ordered online, and I have communicated with them since then, but they haven't a clue when the Bosch shipment's arriving in the UK, let alone being delivered to them! Or me! Sad
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:02 pm

You owe me no apology at all. If we help anyone in any way great. Please feel free to read other posts especially if you have any technical abilities that can help us.
Are the grants for solar power dead I would have thought someone else paying for off line electricity capacity was just the thing, though not a lot of use at night. If you have big problems with lack of supply but too modest a demand to need a generator then end of service emergency capacity batteries are the way to go. Full on flooded traction batteries. The weight penalty is no loss to you.
If you're not too bothered about dodgy links from here see what you think of this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:36 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

Indeed. I didn't actively seek out a flooded battery but none of the places I looked had any available. It was a similar story with the replacement car battery I bought recently. Had a flooded type been available I'd have gone for it.

Tow Itch wrote: If you're not too bothered about dodgy links from here see what you think of this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If weight weren't an issue I'd jump on a couple of those from the ebay link. I wouldn't worry about the fact that they're 6 years old. They'll still last longer than the 'mass market' leisure batteries.

navver

Post by navver on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

Years ago batteries lasted the 2 year guarantee plus 1 month. Now car batteries seem to last almost for ever. I'm sure my 8year old Mondeo battery is still the original and still going strong. It's got to be the charging that does it with the accurate control there is now on cars. And that seems more important to me than the make of the battery.

I know some of the emergency lighting central battery systems last for donkeys years but they are very heavy and are in 2 volt cells linked together. You'd need 6 of 'em for a Dandy.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:06 pm

navver wrote:

I know some of the emergency lighting central battery systems last for donkeys years but they are very heavy and are in 2 volt cells linked together. You'd need 6 of 'em for a Dandy.

They're the ones in the link that Tow Itch posted, although they're cased three together to make a 6V battery. Two together weight 66kg though, so a big chunk out of the payload.

doc

Post by doc on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

Just as a follow-up to this, carbatteriesonline have now completely let me down with this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apparently they haven't got any, they aren't getting any, and I doubt they ever had any. They were happy to take the money, though, and still appear to be doing so.

I shall not be using them again, but I do need to find a reasonably priced equivalent to the Bosch L4. There are Varta equivalents, and I'm guessing they're very much the same. All suggestions gratefully received. I'd have been interested in the used ones on eBay mentioned, but the carriage made them too expensive.

wingnut1

Leisure Batteries

Post by wingnut1 on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

varta, not cheap, but a very good battery.
in fact i would say far better than a bosch.
as regards second hand, you never know what you are buying in to.
but.
in the end.
you pays your money and you takes your choice.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm

doc wrote:Just as a follow-up to this, carbatteriesonline have now completely let me down with this:

Apparently they haven't got any, they aren't getting any, and I doubt they ever had any. They were happy to take the money, though, and still appear to be doing so.

I shall not be using them again, but I do need to find a reasonably priced equivalent to the Bosch L4. There are Varta equivalents, and I'm guessing they're very much the same. All suggestions gratefully received. I'd have been interested in the used ones on eBay mentioned, but the carriage made them too expensive.

Sorry to hear that you haven't had any satisfaction from carbatteries online doc. I will edit my original post on this thread to make sure that anyone coming to it fresh is made aware of the problems you have experienced.

They had at least one of the L4 batteries - the one they sold to me! i'm amazed that, having taken your money, they aren't in a position to offer you at least an equivalent battery and are still advertising unavailable goods on their website.

Tanya have the Varta branded version of the L4033 but it's considerably more expensive - Tanya Link

If it's for infrequent use, a cheaper battery may well suit your purposes - what about this at under £80 delivered? - Numax 110Ah

doc

Post by doc on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm

peridot wrote:
doc wrote:Just as a follow-up to this, carbatteriesonline have now completely let me down with this:

Sorry to hear that you haven't had any satisfaction from carbatteries online doc. I will edit my original post on this thread to make sure that anyone coming to it fresh is made aware of the problems you have experienced.

They had at least one of the L4 batteries - the one they sold to me! i'm amazed that, having taken your money, they aren't in a position to offer you at least an equivalent battery and are still advertising unavailable goods on their website.

Tanya have the Varta branded version of the L4033 but it's considerably more expensive - Tanya Link

If it's for infrequent use, a cheaper battery may well suit your purposes - what about this at under £80 delivered? - Numax 110Ah

Thanks - I was considering one of these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at £87.50 too, but it's all getting a bit confusing now! Thanks for the advice.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:53 pm

wingnut1 wrote:varta, not cheap, but a very good battery.
in fact i would say far better than a bosch.
as regards second hand, you never know what you are buying in to.
but.
in the end.
you pays your money and you takes your choice.

As far as car and leisure batteries are concerned wingnut, the only difference between Bosch and Varta is the sticky label applied to them after manufacturer. They are all produced by a single company called VB Autobatterie (you can guess what the V and B stand for). Although VB Autobatterie is largely owned by the American Company Johnson Controls - and the batteries themselves are manufactured in various far-flung locations across the globe.

Just like the global food market really - you may think you're eating prime beef, but only because you never really knew what donkey tasted like Twisted Evil

As far as second hand batteries are concerned normally I'd say that anyone considering one needed their head examined. However the ones linked to above are vastly superior to the bog standard car and leisure battery offerings and, even second-hand, would outlive them by a significant margin. Unfortunately where batteries are concerned quality = heavy, so a problem for towing and for arranging delivery.

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

doc wrote:
Thanks - I was considering one of these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at £87.50 too, but it's all getting a bit confusing now! Thanks for the advice.

That's a good one too. Also available from Tanya at a similar price - here

I can understand that you might be wary of my recommending a supplier, but google some of the other camping forums and I don't think you'll find a bad word about Tanya, whereas the ebay supplier appears to have occasional courier problems that he doesn't want to take responsibility for.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 01 May 2013, 12:47 pm

A very nice person sent me this information, I know where I'm going for a battery as it's not far from us but the price is still good if you have it delivered

LUCAS CALCIUM LEISURE BATTERY 110 AMPS £79.99 FREE DELIVERY ask for 10% off for pick up guaranteed 3 years.

Alpha Batteries Ltd
Unit 110
Spotland Bridge Mill
Mellor Street
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL11 5BU

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 01 May 2013, 2:59 pm

That's a good price Helen, even more so if you can collect it and avoid the worry about how the courier is going to treat it en-route to you.

doc

Post by doc on Sat 04 May 2013, 7:59 pm

peridot wrote:
doc wrote:

That's a good one too. Also available from Tanya at a similar price - here

I can understand that you might be wary of my recommending a supplier, but google some of the other camping forums and I don't think you'll find a bad word about Tanya, whereas the ebay supplier appears to have occasional courier problems that he doesn't want to take responsibility for.

Thanks - I appreciate the further advice, and your knowledge is far greater than mine!

Just as a follow-up to this, Autospares (Sutton) Ltd (http://www.suttonautofactors.co.uk/) trading as carbatteriesonline.co.uk are still showing this unobainable battery on their website and taking payment for it, despite telling me several days ago that it shouldn't be there:

My dealings with them have been such that I would never trust them again, and I'm currently waiting for a refund of the money they took. I'd urge anybody thinking of buying from them to think very carefully first.

However, I did find a well-priced Varta LFD90 on Amazon at £81.95 delivered (sold by Battery Megastore) and my experience with them was at the other end of the spectrum - incredibly helpful and responsive, next-day delivery and very well packed indeed. The odd thing was that they were selling the same battery through their own website at around £50 more, and their Amazon price has now jumped to £134.95. If there was a pricing error, then to be fair they didn't make any attempt to stop the order - they just delivered the battery without any fuss at all. They even held the order back (usually near-impossible on Amazon) for a day, as requested, so that I'd be around for the delivery.

So a good outcome from Amazon and Battery Megastore - and a pretty awful one from carbatteriesonline. Never again!

Thanks for all the help - I have the battery at last. And goodness - how incredibly heavy it is for its size. Probably a good sign! The CTEK charger's also going to be very useful.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 04 May 2013, 8:22 pm

Pleased to hear you managed to sort a battery out Doc, hope you don't have to wait too long for your refund.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sat 04 May 2013, 10:50 pm

Glad you got sorted out with a good battery in the end doc, and thanks for your input to this thread.

I've added a prominent warning to the first post regarding carbatteriesonline.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 21 Jul 2017, 9:45 am