Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Towing weights vs engine size.

markv

Towing weights vs engine size.

Post by markv on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:10 pm

Hello all,
I have been a Dandy owner for many years but this is my first time on this site.
I have been a biker for many, many years and attend as many rallies as possible. As the years have gone on I found myself unwilling to lie on the cold hard ground with only a thin piece of canvas between me and the elements. I bought a 2.5 litre trike and my first Dandy Dart in the early 90's. From there I progressed to a Designer up until a couple of years ago when I suffered an injury which kept me off the road for quite some time.
I am now 'back in the saddle' and own a new 2 litre automatic trike. I was wondering if this will be powerful enough to tow a Destiny, taking into account the tracks and fields we have to cross to get to the campsite.
Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Towing weights vs engine size.

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

Off the top of my head I don't know just looked on a couple of websites and I tend to think it's just one repeating another's mistakes.
I do know someone who will know I'd try a call to Boom Trikes at Boothstown. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The sell and used to make and sell their own design trikes plus I know they have one if not two Dandys.
A lot of the stuff on websites I think is confusing trikes and bikes with side cars.
As for the engine no problem.
If you get somewhere with Boom please re post and tell us what the outcome was if not come back and I'll look further.

Sorry I was doing something else when I first responded so not my full comprehension. If you already had the Dart and Designer and a previous trike did you tow them with this or any trike?

If so you hopefully know more about the legislation on weights than us. In fact while I run a few bikes trike owners are really thin on the ground so why might we know more?
A 2 litre engine automatic or not would have no problems in nearly all cars towing a Dandy. The only limit being cars that were underpowered even without towing. The power to weight ratio on a trike must be far better.

Nice to hear from you though. As always be it trike or Dandy. We love photos! Though you can't post for the 1st week. If you have some cracking photos say so and I'll send you an email address and I will host the photos for you.

Have you used the Dandy since your back problem? I've got a duff back and some stomach muscle problems. Lifting the front and rear of my Designer can strain a bit. If you have any issues come back to us there are possibly ideas to pursue.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:47 am

Mark,i have no knowledge of trike towing ability's but as Kevin said a two litre should have no problem if the towing unit is heavy enough,will follow this with interest though.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

Hi Mark welcome to the Dandy Campers
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:09 am

Hello and Markv.

We tow with a 1.7 diesel Astra, so a 2 ltr lump would pull a Dandy OK. A lot would depend on the weight distribution of the Trike though. Is it a rear mounted or mid mounted engine for example.

Pics would be good. bounce bounce
markv

Post by markv on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the comments.
I contacted Boom trikes and was advised of a towing weight of 500kg. This all depends on the actual weight of the trike.
I know I used to tow my Designer with my old 2.3 v6 trike and whilst this was fine for motorway driving, she did struggle on some of the steeper inclines.
I am just about to nip along to the weighbridge and get my trike weighed.
I am wondering if there is a set scale of towing unit weight to towing weight out there on the interweb somewhere.
I shall keep you informed as to the outcome.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

Hello markv

Did Boom say where they got the figures they quoted you from? It's always nice to have clarification for the next person who asks.
Remember what I said about looking things up on the internet and various forums repeating each others error.
Think I remember why you are weighing the trike. Does the weight of the trike define what type of vehicle it is?
Nothing so simple as a ratio of weight of vehicle and the weight it can tow. Well not with cars anyway. For cars that only applies to unbraked trailers not being more than half the kerbweight of the towing vehicle.
If you want to see how many things affect what you can tow in a car see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Struggling on inclines. I find it hard to believe it was the power. What do you mean was it power, wheel spin, side slip, fear of upending?
navver

Post by navver on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

The maximum towing weight for a braked trailer quoted by manufacturers is usually the weight it can pull away with on a 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 hill without damaging anything. So it's a function, not so much of raw power, but more how low 1st gear is and how rugged the clutch and transmission is.

For an unbraked trailer it will obviously depend on the braking ability of the trike as well.

The weight ratio between tow car and trailer is to do with stability. In simple terms the heavier the car in relation to the trailer the more stable it will be. There are many other factors affecting stability though, for instance, if your single wheel is at the back it will be a lot less stable than if it's at the front.

If the manufacturer of your trike cannot give a towing weight, or if it's a special build, perhaps VOSA may have to assess it.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:55 pm

I don't know if this helps. scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 3:33 pm

Pollyanna wrote:I don't know if this helps. scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks very much for posting. I'm not sure but I looked at that and I think it's covered in:
Off the top of my head I don't know just looked on a couple of websites and I tend to think it's just one repeating another's mistakes.
I do know someone who will know I'd try a call to Boom Trikes at Boothstown. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think they are getting mixed up with sidecar outfits limits but not done the research. Hence why I was asking markv for the details he got from Boom.

Google tends to highlight oft contributed websites rather than factual documents. Hence, Peridot, naver and myself spent hours on battery charging (mostly hitch wiring) then much later on found a good guide to hitch wiring by the Caravan club.

Don't want to search for law on trailer towing for trikes and bikes with sidecars do you Pollyana?
You too can spend twenty plus hours on something two people will read.
Sorry still bitter on spending so long on the battery thing then finally finding a good guide. (though it only covered part of the subject)
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Hello and I also don't know anything about Trikes, but I have seen other trailer tents being towed by them, sorry I'm not much help lol,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2019, 3:13 pm