Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hi I need a little assistance

navver

Re: Hi I need a little assistance

Post by navver on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

peridot, have a look at these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 3:42 pm

Lol hope you have a good weekend, I love Tenby x
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm

We dont have a loo in the six but to be honest i have no interest in watching Nancy have a quick pee in the night and ime sure she feels the same about watching me lol! although i could film it for youtube affraid
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

navver, you are a star sunny

While it doesn't give figures for depth, the Alliance Online link has three options that look like they'll be suitable. I'll give them a call next week and get some more information.

Thanks for the good wishes julie, we've got off to a good start today and didn't have too much trouble putting the Destiny up for the first time. It'll get better with practice.

Will be enjoying some ice cream in Tenby tomorrow no matter how cold it is bounce

julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:29 pm

haha I don't think I'd have any desire to watch my other half having a pee either Embarassed
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

Don't blame you Peridot Very Happy

Hope its cosy in your Destiny Smile its brass monkeys out there lol What a Face
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

helen

I broached the subject of the 50 inch 3d tv and it worked a treat lol.

Very Happy x
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

I knew it would convince him most men are like big kids when it comes to tv's
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

Laughing They certainly are I kinda agreed to a new computer too lol

But once we get our camper it'll be worth it
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

Sounds great, he can watch tv while you chat away on here Laughing
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

haha so true Laughing

Are you not off camping this weekend?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:00 pm

I'm grounded at the moment I've not been well ..... we'll be off at the first opportunity though.
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

Sad sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better. xx Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

Thanks Julie, could be worse it could be Summer affraid at least it's only early on in the year and there's plenty of camping time ahead Very Happy
julie72

Post by julie72 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

There certainly is, here's hoping after the terrible start to spring were in for a cracking summer
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:26 pm

julie72 wrote:There certainly is, here's hoping after the terrible start to spring were in for a cracking summer
t

What terrible spring. It's been dry all the time which is an improvement on last year. Don't forget a Dandy with a heater is warm during the night. Well it is until the gas bottle runs out. Just fitted a Pikeyesque 11kg bottle of propane hooked up at the moment £20 same cost as a 6kg if bought from Calor.

julie72 wrote: Laughing Laughing Haha Mike that made me laugh

I get what you're saying, the lighter weight would be a bonus as I didn't get my liscence till 2003 so its more likely to fall within
the 3500kg limit before having to take the extra test.
I'm not really bothered about the loo either so the lighter blue could be a definite possibility Very Happy

I'm impressed that you know the Gross train weight limit is 3,500Kg if the trailer is above 750Kg. You realise that you are limited to 4,250Kg with a 750Kg trailer?

Even if you're fully aware on your limits this may help with your night sleeping [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It must be a fair old lump you are hoping to tow your dandy with if a 1,000kg pushed you over 3,500Kg what are you using? Just remembered that there are 6 of you it's not going to be a Mini then.
julie72

Post by julie72 on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

haha Tow Itch

Yes I've done my homework Cool

I drive an MPV which is 2535kg so a 1000kg would push me just over, thanks for the link i'm not sure you realised but I was the julie that it was being explained to last year lol. But i couldn't get my head around it for a while so i've been looking through the government website to get it into my head.

And as for spring we still have snow on the ground here in Staffordshire affraid even with a heater there's no way I would get my other half camping lol!
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

We still have snow in Wolverhampton too Evil or Very Mad so we came to Glastonbury no snow & sunshine Very Happy
julie72

Post by julie72 on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:52 pm

Sounds fab Jane Very Happy we've been up to Blackpool today and lots of sunshine there too but until I get my camper there won't be any camping lol
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

julie72 wrote:haha Tow Itch

Yes I've done my homework Cool

I drive an MPV which is 2535kg so a 1000kg would push me just over, thanks for the link i'm not sure you realised but I was the julie that it was being explained to last year lol. But i couldn't get my head around it for a while so i've been looking through the government website to get it into my head.

And as for spring we still have snow on the ground here in Staffordshire affraid even with a heater there's no way I would get my other half camping lol!

I'm not saying what you should do, only you can decide that but re the weight of the later Destinys being 1,000Kg.
Read [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] special reference to the lines:
1982 regulations demand that all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge. Since 1st January 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture
No that is code of practice. All Dandy owners will tell you that there is no plate. Now I don't know if the later Rivas had a plate on so this may differ. Basically you can put a plate on saying XKg, YKg or ZKg as long as all the components are specified to that mass (brakes, suspension, coupling) . If you are in any form of trepidation then Neil as the manufacturer would be able to re plate as he could if it were a motor vehicle and I'm sure he would knock out a plate for you saying 950Kg or 900Kg.
Of course you are at the edge of what is legal as a maximum train weight and 200Kg or 250Kg of trailer less is that amount off your train weight.
It's odd that we followed these guidelines to help harmonise European rules. Yet as of January this year most of Europe has harmonised the Maximum Train Weight for towing vehicles on the post 1997 licence at 4,250Kg but the UK has chosen not to.

No I didn't realise it was you who caused me to write that tome.
Sorry if it wasn't too clear. It would really help me if you can say what bit(s) caused confusion and what made things clear. It might also help someone else if I tidy it up.
Gov UK reads quite clearly in it's new form form unfortunately it uses Tare weight and Kerb weight as the same thing
julie72

Post by julie72 on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

Thanks Tow Itch

To be honest what you wrote is probably crystal clear to everyone but me, I'm a bit blonde when it comes to technical things Embarassed

I've been reading up on it and all I get is that having passed my test after 97 I can tow a combined weight of 3500kg, so I checked my car weight online which is 2535kg

so I'm looking for a trailer weighing within the remainding kilos. Thats about as technical I get lol and I'm sorry you had to write that to me last year Sad

Do you think that I could get away with the newer model Destiny is that what you're saying?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:21 am

julie72 wrote:Thanks Tow Itch

To be honest what you wrote is probably crystal clear to everyone but me, I'm a bit blonde when it comes to technical things Embarassed

I've been reading up on it and all I get is that having passed my test after 97 I can tow a combined weight of 3500kg, so I checked my car weight online which is 2535kg

so I'm looking for a trailer weighing within the remainding kilos. Thats about as technical I get lol and I'm sorry you had to write that to me last year Sad

Do you think that I could get away with the newer model Destiny is that what you're saying?

Yes you could but: 1) I'd find out if they did by any chance plate the tail end Riva models (obviously the Destiny in particular) 2)Either produce a plate or get Ian to produce such a plate. 3) If you are particularly paranoid speak to your motor insurer that you will be using a downplated trailer and get a covering letter from Ian (Beware most insurers are not informed enough to understand don't let a this is modified conversation end up in a reason to increase premiums. You pay an excess to tow as long as what you tow is legal that is the end of their objections)
3) Think about the mass of you, family and all goods going on holiday. If you can get everything packed up and come in under 3,500Kg all well and good, if not and you then become overloaded. The 200Kg to 250Kg saved (Comparing ex works weights 780Kg & 530Kg)might just be the difference in being legal and overloaded when you are all off camping.
4) Check. don't go off online details check the vin plate on the car. the one on either the nearside or offside b pillar. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] web sites are very good at being wrong.

5) I've phrased this wrongly I'm looking at the difference in the ex works mass of the trailers. This would be important if you had a Maximum Authorised Mass of 2,800Kg or 3,000Kg or anything up to 3,500Kg where extra weight could be loaded into the car, but in your case the MAM of the vehicle is 2,535Kg. So as both Destinys take a lugage weight of 220kg all you are losing is 35Kg or 50Kg if you plate the Riva destiny as 950Kg. While I doubt they weigh 50Kg the toilet and the fridge partially compensate as they are now carried in the Dandy's ex works weight.

Julie the MAM is 2,523Kg ? As I can't find an eight seater car at under 2,800Kg MAM. My next question is what do you hubby and 6 kids weigh? I can't quite see how self plus passengers plus all required items for the camping fit into the 650Kg or so loadweight I'm expecting your MPV to have.
julie72

Post by julie72 on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:06 am

Whats the MAM as I was going off the Gross weight?

Its a Seat Alhambra SE TDI 130 7 seater 03 model

We don't all usually travel in the same car as we usually take my mum along too so we spread out over two cars.

I'm not really paranoid about it I was only made aware last year that there was a limit to what you could tow as we didn't end up buying a camper I just had a read through the government website on the restrictions last week, so I was just looking for something that was legal.

julie72

Post by julie72 on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:07 am

I will check the plate on the car by the way and thanks for all your advice Very Happy xx
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

MAM ..... lady who made me eat sprouts as a child lol!

MAM .... Maximum Authorised Mass

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Feb 2018, 4:01 am