Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus)

The Admiral
The Admiral

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) Empty 1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus)

Post by The Admiral on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

We're going to be putting up Olivia's awning for the first time on Friday. Her previous owner Steve has very kindly written some instructions for us, but I wondered if anyone else had got any particular tips that will help. It has got zip out sides which hopefully will make it easier but is there anything specific we should watch out for or do?
The Admiral
The Admiral

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) Empty Re: 1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus)

Post by The Admiral on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

Teach me to look properly I've just noticed Mike's excellent awning instructions further down the page!! Still open to any other tips though.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) Empty Re: 1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus)

Post by Phoenix on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm

A tip Mike gave us was to keep the awning frame low at the front when putting the awning over and then raising it up once it was on. But we don't have zip off sides so you should find yours easier. Smile
navver

Post by navver on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:10 pm

Get someone else to do it!!!
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

navver wrote:Get someone else to do it!!!

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) 3462454224 1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) 3462454224
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:38 am

Thread moved to Dandy Chat, hopefully it'll get more responses.

For me the wind is a big factor as we had ours lift before we'd managed to get a single peg in - frame and all affraid I now make sure there is something holding it down at all times, even if it's just a few loose guy ropes that'll stop it lifting too far.
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

That's a really good tip Helen, especially because it looks as if its going to be a little gusty tomorrow.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

If it's gusty when we're taking ours down we have a few spare guy ropes that we attach to the inside of the frame and peg down before we start taking the awning apart, they come off when the pvc has come off and only the frames left and there's no chance of lifting.
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

Well we got the awning up eventually but it must have taken nearly two hours affraid However it's because we didn't really know how it all went together it will be better next time I'm sure. I love it now its up as we've got loads of extra space, going to set up our ensuite later on (didn't get chance last night). Don't think I'd bother putting it up for less than 3 nights though, unless there were people around to help!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

1st Time Awning Erectors (Ooh Err Missus) 1428739134 it is an acquired knack,i do agree though you need to set a min nights in your mind
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

We only use our awning for longer stays, we use the utility tent for shorter ones. You do get faster at putting the awning up once you've got the hang of it
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:35 pm

Objective achieved awning successfully erected although it did take a little longer than we hoped Rolling Eyes However it was made much easier by the zip out sides and one of her previous owners (thank you whoever you are) had very thoughtfully colour coded all the poles and connections so it was really easy to work out what went where.

Really loved it once it was up, as it gave us so much more space and Helen's idea for an en-suite was brilliant. We'll definitely use it if we're away for 3 nights or more, less than that I think we might stick with the utility tent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 May 2019, 9:45 am