Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

re-covering the seats/beds... help!!

nade
nade

re-covering the seats/beds... help!!

Post by nade on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:43 pm

Hi new to this so hope its in the right place?!
Ive recently bought a Dandy discovery and I love it! already had 3 camp outs since start of feb...anyway, what I really want to do is change the covers, im not one for the pale colours and want something bright and bold, do I need to get them professionaly covered and with upholster material as ive only seen (no offence to anyone) old sofa type styles. All I want is bright stripes or something and wondered if 100% cotton material would be ok seeing as its not used every day(yet!)
any help or info would be much appreciated!! Very Happy
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: re-covering the seats/beds... help!!

Post by Phoenix on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:26 pm

Hello and nade.

Helen is the interior and upholstery Queen. Smile
She will soon pick this up and answer your questions.
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

Hi and

Mines bright! If you look at the thread Kimmies destiny. Mine was professionally done by a previous owner. It is just 100% cotton though .

We like before and after pics

Last edited by Kimmie on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell!)
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:51 am

Hi and Welcome to the Dandy Campers

I like some of the stuff from here, the prices are reasonable and most stuff is fire retardant and it's tough enough for upholstery too. Take a look at his other items but this is just a few examples. This seller gets lots of different designs on a regular basis so if you don't see anything suitable at the moment keep an eye out for more.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could go for cotton as you get a lot more choice, it's not as hard wearing but it's far easier to sew and also to wash. If you make a tube to fit your foam cushions in then finish the ends like a parcel you can use velcro to fasten which makes it easy to take your covers off if they need a wash. People have made covers from duvet covers as you can pick them up cheap and they're easy to source, you could buy a couple of double duvets and make matching covers/curtains from them. Bear in mind that it's not going to be fire proof and your curtains may be a bit thin. If going for cotton I'd go for a good quality thick curtain type or even buy some curtains that you like and sabotage them Twisted Evil I got some cheap decent quality curtains from ebay but you could try your local market or B&M, Dunelm mill sell lovely curtain fabrics, they tend to be expensive but they always have end of rolls that are reduced in price and often a bargain.

Hope this helps, any more question please ask Very Happy

nade
nade

Post by nade on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

Thanks guys!!!
sorry on half term with the kids and havent had chance to get back on here!
looks like i'll be off to Trago mills to get some fabric then and give it a go, my friend has a sewing machine and is going to do it for me as I have no idea about sewing! even if it lasts a year (I have 5 and 8 yr old crazy boys)itll be fine as I get bored quick and like a change to refresh Very Happy
im not a fan of pale colours and I think with 2 little men its probably best im not!so im looking at stripes for the pieces you sit on (as food from the kids is dropped onto there!) and plain bold colours on the rest,I cant wait!
I do have another question...the cover over the trailer is filthy, whats the best way to get it all clean and lovely again, as in what is the best stuff to use to clean it?

thanks again!
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

nade wrote:
I do have another question...the cover over the trailer is filthy, whats the best way to get it all clean and lovely again, as in what is the best stuff to use to clean it?

thanks again!

Cif, (Jif as it used to be) and a bit of Elbow grease, then rinse down. To polish it up Mr Sheen or the like. Smile
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:53 pm

I am a bright colour person and even though my big girl was retro in colour it is white so I have covered them in curtain material and now onto papering the walls
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:05 pm

I was out for a walk yesterday and came across Cleethorpes Caravan & Camper Cushions, I might drop in and enquire as the to cost of a new set of cushions for the dandy.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 07 Apr 2013, 5:07 am

ShaunJUK wrote:I was out for a walk yesterday and came across Cleethorpes Caravan & Camper Cushions, I might drop in and enquire as the to cost of a new set of cushions for the dandy.

Yes i noticed them the other week,just of Knoll street if i remember right.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:05 pm

mike wrote:
ShaunJUK wrote:I was out for a walk yesterday and came across Cleethorpes Caravan & Camper Cushions, I might drop in and enquire as the to cost of a new set of cushions for the dandy.

Yes i noticed them the other week,just of Knoll street if i remember right.

Your right
mishabgt
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm

We're in the throws of making new mattresses at the moment (bought the foam from ACushionForYou on Ebay for an excellent price (including dacron wrap and stockinette covers, which maked the mattresses a little firmer and nice and easy to slip into the covers.

So far I've completed the bench seat foam, making a box envelope out of unbleached calico, sliding the foam in through one of the short ends and then hand stitching the remaining 3 sides of the opening to seal it all up.
Was originally considering making with zipped ends to allow the covers to be removed for laundering, but figured that we will be putting sheets, blankets, throws and covers on them anyway and that as the original cushions had lasted 30+ years without having removable covers, we'd do the same. That said, they're simple enough to make more covers if heavy spillages occur. This way we can change the colour scheme of the tent by changing sheets and curtains without having to make lots of different covers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:05 am