Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Cold cross buns

rabbitlover

Cold cross buns

Post by rabbitlover on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:52 pm

We went away to Hereford for Easter, we were booked at Cannock Chase but that was closed because of snow. We haven't had our delta out since sept and it's been stored outdoors but no sign feeling or smell of damp anywhere, although we did have a snail.
Apparently it was about -8C on Saturday night. Our Dandy isn't winterised but with an electric heater and plenty of bedding it was warm enough inside. Unfortunately being (normally) fair weather campers we have camping Gaz. In the morning the connecter was frozen and even after thawing it with the hair dryer not terribly efficient so we only managed very lukewarm hot cross buns. Next time I'll remember an electric kettle so a cup of tea doesn't take half an hour.
Went round the Hereford Waterworks Museum on Sun afternoon. Steam engines all running, fabulous if you get chance and are interested.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: Cold cross buns

Post by Phoenix on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

Glad all was well and you were nice and warm, bet it was warm near the Steam Engines too. Smile

Many moons ago I went sea fishing off the beach with a mate. It was very cold, there was snow on the ground when we set out early in the morning. We tried to boil a kettle on a small camping stove under our brollies but gave up after about an hour, it just wasn't going to happen. lol!

navver

Post by navver on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:52 pm

Camping Gaz is Butane and just doesn't work in the cold. When I first tried it I swapped cylinders and it worked for a while. When I took the, what I thought was empty, cylinder for a refill it was nearly full.

Just get Propane & use it all the time.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:12 am

The joys of Campingaz? Propane is the way to go especially as having a Dandy you are more inclined to camp earlier or later in the year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many years ago I used Campingaz or tried to use it and not that early in the year I think it was the first May bank holiday. I also had one of the camp kitchens pictured. Mine also had a rack for plates or similar that stretched across the top of the windbreak. No tea was not an option as we had a long walk ahead so we found that the gas bottle rested nicely upon the rack on the top and that the heat from the ring boiling the kettle was sufficient to ensure that the gas vaporised.
I am merely recalling what we did I am not suggesting that this should be attempted by others

Went round the Hereford Waterworks Museum on Sun afternoon. Steam engines all running, fabulous if you get chance and are interested.
Oh the smell! I used to help out on a steam vessel years ago. Traction engines and the like are OK but for the real smell of steam plant and steam oil it's steam vessels or large indoor plant. I'd buy it if they could bottle that smell.

navver

Post by navver on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

I sail in Bristol floating harbour and we have several steam powered boats there which regularly sail up & down for pleasure trips. There's a tug, a fire engine boat and a small dinghy complete with little brass & copper boiler. The chap sits there with his little coal shovel in his hand.

Add to that the dock railway also steam and four steam powered cranes. No wonder I'm always coughing.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:08 am

This is what I did some work on. Lost contact with the owner heartbroken to find she had been sold on and capsized.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

It's really sad your ship sank, there is something so special about steam powered anything.
We might have to look at changing the gas, although I'm not honestly intending to camp in those temperatures too often.
Some years ago I was walking in the Lakes with friends and we set up a meths stove to make tea, when we investigated why it wasn't boiling it had melted into the snow blocking the air inlets. I guess all these things work fine in the right environment
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:03 am

The temperatures have been extremely cold at nights, we camped once in the snow and had butane because it was all we knew and although it seemed a little slow we didn't have a problem with it freezing up but the night temperatures were not as low as they have been recently Shocked

good job you took extra blankets, being cold at night can ruin things No

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Oct 2018, 10:21 pm