Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Welded Suspension replacement

mishabgt
mishabgt

Welded Suspension replacement Empty Welded Suspension replacement

Post by mishabgt on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm

Our Dandy 4/5 'Florence' has saggy suspension units, but then she is 30+ yrs old!

I sanded and painted the chassis at the weekend and noticed that (although on other suspension threads on here people have said replacement is simply a case of unbolting 6 bolts) the suspension units are welded, not bolted, to to chassis! Is this standard practice on 80's Dandys and is it merely welded along the outer long edges or are we going to need to restructure some of the chassis to fit new ones (when we've saved up)? Welded Suspension replacement 143088812
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Welded Suspension replacement Empty Re: Welded Suspension replacement

Post by Helen on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:18 pm

The suspension units on my dads orange dandy are welded too so I wonder if it was standard practice at some point, we changed our suspension on our 91 designer and it was a simple job but my dads may be another matter altogether if it needs changing in the future.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

On my late 80s dandys the suspension was bolted on,have you felt on top of the chassis plate to check if there are holes and some one has fitted different suspension in the past.
navver

Post by navver on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

I built a trailer in 1980 using indespension units with mini wheels as used on Dandys. The units were bolted to plates welded to the chassis.

Bearing in mind the suspension is rubber blocks, I'm not sure welding would have done them much good so bolting would be much better.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:45 pm

Phoenix's suspension units are welded on too. To change them would be a case of getting the grinder out and cutting them off. You could then weld a plate on to bolt the new ones to.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another thought here is if you are going to change the units. Cut off the original stub axle that goes into the rubber block, then weld a plate to the bottom of the original unit to bolt your new units to. This would also raise the ride height of the Dandy. Smile

Simples. Welded Suspension replacement 3498837457
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

If you do change the suspension keep the drums and the brake shoes as they may be invaluable to someone else with pre 89 Knott brakes where replacement bits are expensive if available.

I can see Phoenix's solution being the quick and easy one if you buy suspension with the same geometry but you may choose units with a different trailing arm length. Mind you the mudguards can be moved back. Also it depends on your skill in welding. Unless the body is removed like Phoenix's then you will be welding into an internal corner with limited access. the access will be further limited by working under the Dandy or if you flip the dandy over you will be welding into an upwards 900 joint. A good job nearly everyone has MIG units as I think you would be buggered for access with arc welding rods.
Maybe it's just because my welding skills are limited but I can see reasons for grinding the units off at the weld and fabricating a lifting bracket should you require.
Silly me former MG owner you will be proficient with a MIG. (Ouch)

Mishabgt

You seem brighter than the average bear but you have read through old posts on suspension haven't you?
Basic idea, suspension seems to have dropped because all Dandys (except dark blue ones) tow nose up as the height of tow bars have moved.
Suspension can sink but it can also firm with age so combine nose up with harder suspension and it appears as if it's sunk and not working. I'd say check the wheel to mudguard clearance but that is always more critical on 5's not sure if clearance on external wheels to mudguards is any sort of guide.
If thinking about changing do you want to up the weight carriable? If so do quite a bit of back reading. Don't go for the cheapest option (though it's up to you) but indespension units can be available on offer at times from other retailers cheaper than Indespension. Lie they have large mark ups tell them you can get the units for X but would prefer to buy direct. (Indespension discounts for trailer mechanics are large) Consider Knott, Peak and Alko suspension. Though new cables etc have to be costed.
mishabgt
mishabgt

Post by mishabgt on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Looks like Phoenix has exactly the same setup as Florence (welded on suspension units, rod brakes etc.)

Although I have a welding machine I have no mask and have only ever done minor welds (although I had the BGT I never did any welding on it, amazingly!)

We have an Indespension outlet locally, so I'm thinking of popping it down to them one weekend morning just to get a ballpark figure on what they'd charge to remove and replace the units, as they did my towbar and electrics for a very reasonable (I think, compared to other quotes I got) price.

Im thinking of the solution of grinding off the existing axles and fabricating some method of bolting the new ones on. Whats the easiest/tidiest method?
Im guessing that welding bolts onto the bottom of the chassis would be a MAJOR security issue, as if they snapped off, the whole axle is free.

Is it better to somehow drill and bolt through the chassis, or to weld on a plate and bolt through that?
How are the original "bolted" suspension units fitted?
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm

On newer Dandy's there is a plate welded onto the chassis with holes in for bolting the suspension to.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm

mishabgt

Have a look at this thread, there are some good pics to illustrate what is possible.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 2:24 am

As your dandy is an early 80's model I wasn't expecting the rod brakes.
Oh dear. You can't buy new rod brakes and any rod coupling won't work with cables. Not certain about the type featured on wingnuts frame but only seen the one set of pictures.
There is a piece somewhere on the forum about someone removing a set of brake drums and backplates from a Dandy. He then grafted these onto a new stub axle. I think this is what you may need to do in the end.
I will try to look for the piece again.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Tow Itch wrote: As your dandy is an early 80's model I wasn't expecting the rod brakes.
Oh dear. You can't buy new rod brakes and any rod coupling won't work with cables. Not certain about the type featured on wingnuts frame but only seen the one set of pictures.
There is a piece somewhere on the forum about someone removing a set of brake drums and backplates from a Dandy. He then grafted these onto a new stub axle. I think this is what you may need to do in the end.
I will try to look for the piece again.

Thought about this again I don't know how quickly Indespension suspension units could fail but I don't see Ian having sold you a Dandy with shot suspension. A bit like TVS, not the cheapest in the world but I've never heard anyone complain about his work or what he has sold. I know you are a distance from Riva but even if you were just round the corner I'd not know how you should ask "Does This Dandy You Sold Me Have Shot Suspension Or Is It Just Stiff?" You were talking about speaking to someone from Indespension. Before I asked about how much to...... I'd ask about the condition of your present suspension. Though again I'd be wary about asking at my local branch of Indespension. It was one of them who explained to me about the units firming up but equally another member of staff is very "sales oriented" while at least one other (if not more) is plain thick.

Look at both units. If they form the same angle to the base then one has not failed relative to the other and being "independent" they are not likely to fail together. The other method of failure is for one of the trailing arms weakened through rust to twist. You would spot both of these faults yourself.

This is the piece on using your old brakes on stub axles that I remembered. If you were asking someone to do it for you it would be more work than just grinding off old units welding on a plate or spacer and bolting on new units. I think it might be priced a bit close to "ouch" or even "What!!!!!"

Tow Itch wrote: A newish thread on the Yahoo Group has seen one chappy replacing his suspension.
The difference was he kept his brakes and just bought the Indespension units ending in stub axles like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It took an extra bit of spannering and apparently he had to weld a bit on each side but the units only cost £88.
I'll see what details I can get.

I'd never considered the mechanics for adding your old brake and hub parts.
Other than the savings it also gives hope to those of us with rod brakes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jun 2019, 5:20 pm