Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Watching tv in a Dandy

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Watching tv in a Dandy Empty Watching tv in a Dandy

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

I split this from another thread to create a new one as it's something that could be useful to others

This looks similar to our Ariel ...... it's been excellent, we used to have a big digital ariel stuck on a pole then strapped to the Dandy leg but had to wiggle it about to get a reception ..... not with this one, we just stick it on and we're off

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Watching tv in a Dandy Empty Re: Watching tv in a Dandy

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

Why TV ? Your laptop will allow you to connect a device to watch TV. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Then there is also there is online TV [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This last one is a growing subjectand several more providers than listed in the link exist.
So given that your laptop provides a DVD player as well, why take a TV?
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Watching tv in a Dandy Empty Watching tv while camping

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Do I need internet access to watch tv on my laptop, the device you've linked to looks like I don't but I don't understand much about using laptops for watching tv, I've watched catch up stuff but had to have internet access to do it.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm

You can get a tv dongle that does not require internet its just free view,using your laptop means you can record programs.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

I think one would come in handy then ..... I could record programmes on my laptop to watch any time I want or for when I get home Watching tv in a Dandy 115684958
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

I have a Freeview laptop dongle and find it useful however, particularly where non-techie family members are concerned, I think a conventional TV is preferable.

We had a little 10" set in the Designer and probably only used it twice. With the intention of doing more late season camping in the Destiny we would probably get more use out of a set and may look for something a bit bigger.

The suggestion of mounting it on the bed back-board in another thread is an interesting one - that should work well in the Destiny.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

We use a dongle because we stopped taking the tv but have the laptop for surfing,so its double use
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:55 pm

Trouble with us is that John likes to watch the tv while I'm using my laptop for the net so although I'm going to get a dongle for the laptop I still think we'll take the tv too ....... I won't miss anything though if I record on my laptop while we are hopefully whittering away sat outside eating a bbq in the lovely sunshine. If we ever get any What a Face
julie72
julie72

Post by julie72 on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Helen wrote:I split this from another thread to create a new one as it's something that could be useful to others

This looks similar to our Ariel ...... it's been excellent, we used to have a big digital ariel stuck on a pole then strapped to the Dandy leg but had to wiggle it about to get a reception ..... not with this one, we just stick it on and we're off

Hi Helen

Where do you get those from? Smile
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

I inherited mine and can't remember the exact make but I've found similar on ebay and also amazon.

This looks like a good option, there are cheaper but also more expensive this is in between and has good reviews

julie72
julie72

Post by julie72 on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:17 pm

Cheers Helen Very Happy
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:06 pm

I brought a satellite dish form Aldi's years ago for my camper van ( that rotted to death) so I am taking it with me and hoping to watch Italian tv Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:23 pm

I think the greatest benefit of having a satellite dish is that you'll be able to avoid having to watch Italian TV Wink
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:27 pm

peridot wrote:
I think the greatest benefit of having a satellite dish is that you'll be able to avoid having to watch Italian TV Wink

I will be just be grateful to watch something Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 knowing my luck it will be extraterrestrial Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224 Watching tv in a Dandy 3462454224
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:35 pm

I've just ordered a new aerial for the Dandy. It's a 'DM Log Periodic' and, no, I don't know what that means either Neutral

Let's just call it a conventional aerial Smile . I was getting a mast anyway for a digital radio aerial so I though I might as well stick a TV one one top of it. It's supposed to be good even in poor signal areas and we've plenty of them in the hills and valleys around here.

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 2:00 am

I've got one of those in the garage Twisted Evil I'll try and dig out a picture of it .... we strapped the mast pole to the Dandy leg with cable ties to hold it in place and it stayed in place ....... getting a picture on more than a couple of channels at once though What a Face Yep I know you can only watch one at once but I like to turn it over every now and then and each time I did John would be stood at the back of the dandy twiddling the thing while I sat inside shouting no move it a bit yep right there lol!
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

lol!

Yes, I was going to make do with the little aerial that we already had but then I remembered that on the couple of occasions we did use it we spent as long adjusting it as watching TV Rolling Eyes

I think things are a lot better since the digital switchover and the increase in transmitted signal strengths. Certainly, when we moved to our current house we were advised by the local installer that we were wasting our time with an aerial and he pointed us in the direction of a Freesat dish instead. However I can now get a fairly decent Freeview signal from an aerial inside the loft.

Attachment is a problem as the new Dandy is legless (like its occupants on occasions Smile ) and the hitch is covered over when erected.

I've ordered a couple of these to fit to the sides - hopefully they'll be successful.

navver

Post by navver on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 9:32 am

Helen wrote:I split this from another thread to create a new one as it's something that could be useful to others

This looks perdfect Helen, but where do you stick it on. Does it go outside.

Do you know if it does vertical polarisation as the site we often go to has a TV booster transmitting across the site with vertical polarisation.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:48 am

We stick ours on the Dandy roof outside, just over where one of the roof poles go and it sticks even through the insulated pvc because of the strong magnetic bottom on the Ariel. It hasn't marked the roof in any way and has never come off even in strong winds, we do bungee the roof down to stop it lifting. I suppose we could just stick it on the tow bar though and it would work just as well Very Happy
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:16 pm

we used a pole attached to the A Frame it was ideal as the pole was higher then the dandy and could pick up plenty of Digital channels when used with our AVTEX antenna.
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 07 May 2013, 7:08 pm

The mast brackets I ordered for the camper were very successful indeed.

The base plate is neat and low profile, but it's quick and easy to securely attach the clamps.

The DAB aerial works a treat too Smile

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 07 May 2013, 8:49 pm

Looks really good, a neat way to put an ariel on a Dandy Watching tv in a Dandy 2170595768
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Wed 08 May 2013, 8:00 pm

Looks great, very neat Watching tv in a Dandy 1710857839
navver

Post by navver on Sat 11 May 2013, 7:43 pm

Just come across this little problem they've been keeping qquiet about. Still trying to get my head round it.

It seems the 4G mobile network may overlap with some freeview channels and the strong 4G signal may overload your TV. It seems ariels with an amplifier are most at risk and these seem to be popular in dandies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 May 2019, 9:41 am