Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Went to see one

navver

Went to see one Empty Went to see one

Post by navver on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 7:59 pm

Went to see a 1994 Designer tonight but was very disappointed. It was advertised with high money and had everything; awning, insulation, heater, gas struts, modern kitchen. This raised our expectations but alas, reality was it was very grimy inside & out, the bottom of the door was rotten, the wheel arches were dented beyond belief to the point of almost touching the wheels.

In truth it is worth half what was being asked.

It's a shame because we both loved the layout and it was a lot roomier than we expected together with being very easy to wheel around.

I would hate to have travelled 200 miles to see this. Where I feel it's sad is that if it had been advertised correctly, we would have known what to expect and so would not have been disappointed. We want to pay more to get a good one and that is what we expected here. Sadly no.

Am I expecting too much of a twenty year old Dandy. Is that what they are like.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Went to see one Empty Re: Went to see one

Post by Helen on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

No, our door is solid. The wheel arches are a bit flat on top, I thought ours were dented but that's how they are ..... if they were almost touching the wheel then the suspension is to blame. Don't be too disheartened you'll find what your looking for in the end Smile
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 8:36 pm

navver wrote:Went to see a 1994 Designer tonight but was very disappointed. It was advertised with high money and had everything; awning, insulation, heater, gas struts, modern kitchen. This raised our expectations but alas, reality was it was very grimy inside & out, the bottom of the door was rotten, the wheel arches were dented beyond belief to the point of almost touching the wheels.

In truth it is worth half what was being asked.

It's a shame because we both loved the layout and it was a lot roomier than we expected together with being very easy to wheel around.

I would hate to have travelled 200 miles to see this. Where I feel it's sad is that if it had been advertised correctly, we would have known what to expect and so would not have been disappointed. We want to pay more to get a good one and that is what we expected here. Sadly no.

Am I expecting too much of a twenty year old Dandy. Is that what they are like.

I'm so sorry you were disappointed, but keep looking there are good Dandys out there. Our new one Olivia is only a year younger (1995) and she's in excellent condition so as Helen said no they don't have to be like that. I'm sure you'll find the right one for you soon, just hang in there.
navver

Post by navver on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

Thanks, you two seem to have two exceptionally nice looking Dandys.

What worries me is that in the photos it looked clean and tidy. Living in the South and 99% of Dandys for sale being in the North means we have a lot of travelling to do as we must now definitely see them before buying.

I was surprised at how little headroom there is. I'm 6'4" and was several inches too tall for it even in the middle.

I have to say the seats are more comfortable than the caravan was. Caravan seats only have 1' high backs nd are straight, whereas with the dandy settee I can rest my head back on the seat back. The inside was lovely and light.
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm

I'm sorry to hear you we're disappointed but better that than buying blind.
Your point about height restriction, my OH is 6' 3" (he's shrunk a bit) so we were worried about headroom, we came to an agreement that he would do the driving and I would do the cooking. I had wanted a designer but the second dandy we saw and bought is a delta with awning. The seating is plenty comfortable and the awning doubles the size. I wouldn't change it now for anything.
Your dandy is out there. If we can help with any viewing but as you say, they always seem to be miles away.
They are not all bad. Mine is a 1992 and in excellent condition.
Essie xxxx
Dogs&Co

Post by Dogs&Co on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 11:21 pm

I'm just looking for one that is winterised and with an awning but alot of them do not seem to come with awnings and Riva are asking £450 for a Designer awning. We are supposed to be looking at a Designer at the weekend - no awning - early 90's not sure what to expect from a 20 year old camper though.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:38 am

Dogs&Co wrote:I'm just looking for one that is winterised and with an awning but alot of them do not seem to come with awnings and Riva are asking £450 for a Designer awning. We are supposed to be looking at a Designer at the weekend - no awning - early 90's not sure what to expect from a 20 year old camper though.

You have got a price off Riva of £450.00 for an awning?
Is that for a used awning or a brand new awning?
If new that is an absolute bargain They were asking more than that 20 years ago.
TVS did an acrylic awning for a late model Destiny last year for around the £1,000 mark.
I know it sounds a lot when you are looking to buy a 20 odd year old Dandy but it will all last and possibly have another 30 years in it.
People have paid over £200 for second hand off eBay.
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:32 am

Our last unit was a '94 Designer and was in good condition. I've seen others of similar vintage and older in even better.

Don't be disheartened - you will find the right one.

Remember too that just about anything on a Dandy can be repaired relatively easily. On the one you saw the wheel arches can be pressed back into shape and the suspension units renewed if necessary. The door is a straightforward piece of plywood and, with a bit of elbow grease, they scrub up really well.

Clearly the work needed was not reflected in the price but if you see one where the seller is being honest about a fault or two, and has adjusted the price accordingly, don't be put off straight away.

Good luck Smile

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

We're no DIY experts and managed to replace the suspension without too much swearing Twisted Evil Just remember that suspension costs and if it isn't reflected in the price it may be because they don't know themselves that it needs changing .... you could always point it out and see if they'll come down a bit in price. My old suspension was low but there are so many differing views on what's acceptable and what's not that we used it as was for a long time, it was only when we started getting uneven wear on the tyres that we realised it needed changing ... it was slightly twisted. affraid

Uneven wear on tyres can also be caused by overloading, on ours it was the suspension but it's worth checking for uneven wear on tyres along with low suspension it may be a sign that it needs changing.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

Well navver for good or ill you have now started to look. Everything is either as expected, slightly different or not what you expected at all.
When you first joined I think we debated the relative merits of a Designer versus a Lowside Destiny. I remember the possibilities about somewhere to place a Portallo versus the size. Also remember you being tall(I suppose you still are) and a question about the beds strangely we never mentioned internal height.

A good view around a number of Dandys would no doubt affect your thoughts. Why not try contacting The Dandy Owners Club who are camping not too far from you in a fortnight [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you time it right you can no doubt enjoy the fun of helping erect a fold Dandys of various forms.
Also you will get to see what owners have done in tarting and titivating their Dandys as I expect any Dandy to be a bit stark compared to what you have had.

Helen

The tip on checking tyre wear is bang on. The lighter indespension units use a box structure for the trailing arm that eventually rusts out and twists the 750Kg an upwards units have a different design of trailing arm, I think it is solid.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
navver

Post by navver on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:45 pm

Thanks for all that. The suspension was the box section as in your first. I think it was gone as the back was low and didn't need a step.

Actually we're making a pilgrimage up the M5/6 to Dandy Mecca tommorrow so should see loads and hopefully come home with one. The galling thing is there is a light blue designer with dark blue upholstery and a heater being collected tomorrow by the customer. That would have been perfect.

I think as we are moving down from a new caravan we probably expect more than someone moving up from a tent. Luckily we can pay a bit more than many so hopefully will get a good one. The one we saw was asking £2000 so we expected it to be really good. I think it was worth about £800.

If they had made an effort and cleared out all the rubbish and given it a bit of a scrub it would have made all the difference, but it was grimy and that put my wife right off it. I 've often wondered when people are buying a house, if there's no dining table in the dining room they don't believe it has a dining room and won't buy if the decs are a bit shabby. But it does make the vital difference where first impressions count so much.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

I remember you saying that 50 miles was a good trip for you, if so this is definitely a fair old journey.
It's a long way just to see Riva hope you have something else to entertain you. N.B. there is no show at the end of Wigan pier.
It's about 12 miles down the road from me if yourself and Mrs Navver could force a coffee and bun before or after your tour I'd head up to say hello.
Any idea what time you are heading for Riva?
It's a long way you have checked he will not be closed for any reason tomorrow?
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:48 pm

There was a private Dandy dealer whose location I can recall only as being somewhere south of Manchester not too far from the M6. We called in when we were first looking for a Dandy and he had a good selection.

I haven't seen any reference to him for a long time so perhaps he is no longer there. Anyone recall who I'm referring to?

Dogs&Co

Post by Dogs&Co on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

Tow Ich. My friends took their sun canopy to be mended this week at Riva and he said he had two awnings in so I presume they were second hand at £450.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

Dogs&Co wrote:Tow Ich. My friends took their sun canopy to be mended this week at Riva and he said he had two awnings in so I presume they were second hand at £450.

That sounds more like it. Not exactly cheap but if you desperately need one it saves waiting 6 months to two years to find one. If costed over 20 years not the end of the world.
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 6:28 pm

peridot wrote:There was a private Dandy dealer whose location I can recall only as being somewhere south of Manchester not too far from the M6. We called in when we were first looking for a Dandy and he had a good selection.

I haven't seen any reference to him for a long time so perhaps he is no longer there. Anyone recall who I'm referring to?

I've recalled the name of the seller. He traded as Dee Leisure and I think his name was Dave.

Google only brings up some company listings, which may be out of date.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm

Our Olivia was sold to her previous owner by Dee Leisure.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:59 pm

peridot wrote:
peridot wrote:There was a private Dandy dealer whose location I can recall only as being somewhere south of Manchester not too far from the M6. We called in when we were first looking for a Dandy and he had a good selection.

I've recalled the name of the seller. He traded as Dee Leisure and I think his name was Dave.

Google only brings up some company listings, which may be out of date.

Did he not divert his attentions into becoming part of a popular beat combo with Dozy, Beaky Mick and Titch?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:33 pm