Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Oohh Err.. Gone & bought one.

navver

Oohh Err.. Gone & bought one.

Post by navver on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 10:01 pm

Well, went to Dandyland today and came back with a dark blue designer. Proper posh it is and got a really good deal from Ian. Need's a clean outside as it's been up outside for a few months.

This one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The wife wasn't well this morning so sent me off on my own with instructions not to come back with anything she doesn't like. No pressure there then. She still hasn't seen it inside but the trailer and cover have been approved.

It's got the perfect mix of accessories for us. PVC sun canopy, underbed skirt, gas struts, shelf unit, 3 way fridge and a cut out seat so there's some where to put it, removable carpet with vinyl floor. Even got the zip for an acrylic awning if we want to buy one.

I can't believe how easy it is to tow with the TDCI Mondeo compared with the caravan. 51 mpg going there solo and 43.5 coming back with Dandy. 174 miles each way and had 20miles through lanes following the sat nav due to a motorway accident. Can't believe you can take them through narrow lanes and pass cars the other way but I did.

It's taken me a while but we got there in the end thanks to all the wonderful help and encouragement on this site.

Last edited by navver on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
ShaunJUK

Re: Oohh Err.. Gone & bought one.

Post by ShaunJUK on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm

A nice looking dandy, so when is the first trip planned for?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

Congratulations.
Looks far too smart to be cutting a hole for the Riviera heater.

You are more incorrigible than me I have just alluded to towing at speed without stating how fast it was.

navver

Post by navver on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

Hopefully some time in May to here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But she's got to see inside and approve it first. She may not like it.

And no, we won't be having the gas floor heater. Have to make do with EHU and a convector. In 15 years of caravanning I don't think we have ever used gas heating.

Won't bother with a battery either. It's rigged with mains and a 12V transformer which will run the light and pump. There is a grey plug which will run them from the car battery if plugged in. As long as I use the car every day, as I normally do, it should recharge OK. Can always carry a small charger just in case it's flat but we will always have EHU.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:05 am

how gorgeous is that love the shelf and I bet the wife will love it need a name now
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:09 am

thought you would get that one Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:50 am

What a little beauty ...... congratulations

Wifey is going to be very very happy when you open it up for her approval It's beautiful

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:02 am

That looks fabulous.

I think the Designer is the most versatile of the Dandys. All the storage you need but the only issue with towing is remembering it's there, and the space/facilities to fully function inside the unit if the weather turns less favorable, with the option of the sun canopy/awning for longer trips.

I've only just realised from the photos that Riva replaced the front roll-up blinds with curtains on the later models. The blinds were about the only thing on the Designer that we didn't like and a modification to fit curtains was always on the 'to-do' list but we never got around to it. Had we realised there was a ready-made solution we'd have jumped at it.

Last edited by peridot on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

That's a really lovely Dandy. Well worth the long trip.
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:32 am

Very nice Dandy, I'm sure your wife will like it

navver

Post by navver on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

Thanks everyone. Well we opened her up this morning. laft bed overm right bed over easy peasy. Door wall up, window wall up. came to lift the bed board and found the wings trapped under the door wall. Called wife round to help. Guess what happened....

Well when we got back from casualty, she'd not broken anything but has a badly sprained wrist so in a support for 2 weeks.
She'd gone Aover T on the towbar.
I thought that would be it, no way would she like it now, but no, she loves it.

Gave it all a good scrub and got everything working. Takes a bit of working out. It's actually been up in Ian's ysrd for the last 4 months so was pretty dirty. But imagine a trailer tent standing up for 4 months in the weather we've had this year.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury navver - hopefully it will heal quickly and doesn't put too much of a dampner on celebrating your lovely new Dandy.

You'll get the hang of things quickly. I remember when we first got one we were thinking it was going to be a nightmare to erect every time, but after doing it two or three times it became plain sailing.

We're back on the learning curve with the new one - we struggled to pack it away the last time because we'd done the beds in the wrong order - but I know a few more goes and it will be second nature.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

What a gent. I try to get anyone helping to work at the hitch end too.
It's amazing how many times the sudden unthinking movement causes them to rake their shins on the A frame.
Thought you might have gone easy on the missus until you sold the idea but I admire your resolve start as you mean to go on.
Bit of a busted flush though methinks that will be your end from now on.
came to lift the bed board and found the wings trapped under the door wall.
Bed boards as in the side walls? What wing trapped under what wall?

Give our collective love to the wife. How can you be tryping on here while doing dinner get back to work. I prescribe pre dinner cocktails as pain relief.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:06 pm

Right hand wing caught under door wall. Discovered it when lifting the right hand bed end wall and couldn't hook the wing in.
Got the dinner sorted. Took her for a two for one, £8.85 for the two of us.

I did manage to put it all up on my own afterwards except for lifting the beds over. But with the gas struts I don't think that would be a problem. Glad I didn't get a high side.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:23 pm

On your new Dandy Navver.

Hope the wife gets over her injury quickly.

We have had the same thing with the bat wing being trapped by the wall and having to lower the wall again to release it on our 6. We haven't had that problem on Phoenix though.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:56 pm

Thank goodness your wife wasn't put off, hope she feels better soon ...... I tend to send John to that side because I'm a bit clumsy and fall over anything and everything plus if there's water pooled on the roof when folding it tends to go over the person at the tow end when you lower the kitchen wall

navver

Post by navver on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:52 pm

Does anyone know if the 29litre aquaroll will fit in the folded designer. I think the diameter over the tyres is 375mm about 1'3". measuring up it looks very close that it will, unless I've missed something.

Not really sure how much water we will use. The caravan used about 40litres a day.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

I don't know if it will fit but there is a picture here somewhere, where an Aquaroll was affixed to the top of a gas carrier with ratchet straps. I'm not certain but it may have been a square section gas box a la [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That was a cracking instructional post why have we not made it a sticky?

Is your gas box one of the late Riva PVC covered boxes? It would strap to that and allow last minute filling or a sneaky fill as you arrived on site.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Was it this one Mr Itch?

It is Guzzimik's, we liked the look of it too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

navver

Post by navver on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm

No it's the white GRP with the curved floppy lid that won't stay up on its own.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 05 May 2013, 8:59 pm

Went and bought all the camping kit yesterday. Got a pair of these for waste & fresh water. Should be a lot easier for my wife to use. Who says we men aren't thoughtful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They are really small and take up very little floor space in the packed dandy. (500x330x250)

Also got the ubiquitous portapotti 165. Can't go wrong with that.

Got a Traveller Quest toilet tent [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But took it back today. It's really fiddly to put up with 2 bendy poles, each about 20 feet long in one go, to thread for each direction. There are only 2 guy ropes and nothing to fix them to. One strap to the clip had come away. The clips look like they will break as soon as you touch them. The shop were very good and gave me the money back. We will try without and just use it in the dandy at night.

By the way, I've answered my own question about the aquaroll. The fold height does seem to be 1 foot. The window wall rests on one of the seats which are 1 foot high. The aquaroll is 15 inches diameter so won't fit.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 05 May 2013, 11:23 pm

The Fiamma water carrier is the one we used in our Designer and is very space efficient.

Unless we had the awning up we also took the loo inboard at night and tucked it in by the door. If you have to go outside to a separate tent I think it kinda defeats the object of bringing a portaloo.

jake001

Post by jake001 on Mon 06 May 2013, 8:55 am

navver wrote:No it's the white GRP with the curved floppy lid that won't stay up on its own.

Crude but effective Smile Unfortunately I didn't put enough support behind and the GRP cracked affraid

I will redo it with a plate bonded behind to spread the load, but it does hold the lid up cheers
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 06 May 2013, 6:17 pm

jake001 wrote:
navver wrote:No it's the white GRP with the curved floppy lid that won't stay up on its own.

Crude but effective Smile Unfortunately I didn't put enough support behind and the GRP cracked affraid

I will redo it with a plate bonded behind to spread the load, but it does hold the lid up cheers

I was just thinking "That must be a strain on that lip." Possibly a bit of a numpty question but why do you want to keep the lid propped up. I've never felt the need so far?

Bum Steer:

I noted that you were using black low pressure gas hose for which I am certain I'd seen a piece on service life. I was about to recommend the orange high pressure pipework for which I believed there was no recommended service life. Things were not quite as I thought.

Current Calor advice [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Calor reference notes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

navver

Post by navver on Mon 06 May 2013, 8:32 pm

By the looks of it, it needs a prop each side where the lip will be stronger and will share the load. Looks like a job for some more gas struts. I've always felt locker lids should simply be removable, then they don't get in the way at all.

I think it useful to have it held up because it give 2 hands free to connect gas bottles, tie up straps and put stuff in the locker etc. But it's not the end of the world if not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:39 pm