Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

The Dandy Boombox

peridot
Dandy Admin

The Dandy Boombox

Post by peridot on Wed 01 May 2013, 3:29 pm

Just got all the bits together for an important little project to bring sweet hi fidelity sounds to the new Dandy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

• Sony DAB / FM / CD / USB / IPod head unit

• JBL Control One loudspeakers

• 32GB miniature USB memory stick to hold music files

• External DAB antenna and mast

I'm thinking of fitting the radio unit into the side of the undersink cupboard. The speakers have nice simple mounting brackets which I'm hoping to leave attached to each of the side walls at the seating area end.

I haven't quite worked out the connection arrangements for the aerial yet, but I hope to make a start on installation at the weekend if finishing off the other electrical work doesn't take too long. I'll post some more pictures as it progresses.

Has anyone else fitted a car radio system to a Dandy? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: The Dandy Boombox

Post by Helen on Wed 01 May 2013, 3:45 pm

I've spotted speakers on photo's, usually fitted via the seat area .... don't know where the head unit for them was scratch

A car stereo unit should fit nicely in with a Dandy ..... looking forward to your pictures
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 01 May 2013, 4:12 pm

I did originally plan to use car speakers, but thought placing them at low level probably isn't best for sound quality.

The JBL's are excellent little monitor speakers and I got them at a very good price. The only disadvantage is that it's something else to install and disconnect at the beginning and end of each camping trip.

navver

Post by navver on Wed 01 May 2013, 7:26 pm

Ahh, you can't beat the peace and quiet of the english countryside.

Car radios usually have a permanent live feed to retain pre-tuned memory etc.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 01 May 2013, 8:14 pm

lol!

The ulterior motive is of course to ensure that no-one pitches beside me so I'll have half the campsite to myself

Nah, unfortunately it will have to be played at very low volumes ... most of the time anyway.

One of the reasons for picking the Sony unit was that it shuts itself down completely when it's switched off and can be left permanently connected to the 12v supply without draining the battery. I think there's a tiny load to preserve presets etc. but it shouldn't matter. I'll check this when I get it connected up.

Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 01 May 2013, 9:35 pm

someone on here had a car radio and speakers fitted in the storage box/seats of their 4 but cant remember who there were photos
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 07 May 2013, 7:23 pm

Glutton for punishment that I am, I've decided to fit the head unit to the side of the cooker/sink console. It bothers me that the Destiny doesn't have a storage cupboard directly under the sink. I know there is limited space in there as the sink takes up most of it, but is can be useful for storing lighters and other nick-knacks.

So the space won't be wasted - it will house the radio Smile This will prevent the loss of any other valuable cupboard space and allow me to fit a mains socket on the side of the main undersink cupboard that I was originally considering for the radio.

The downside is that the power speaker and aerial connections will need to be on a plug and socket arrangement. This can replace the current tap microswitch connecter as I'll run that wiring through it too, although for simplicity I'll probably use a separate aerial connector.

The other downside is that head unit won't retain any settings but it only takes a few seconds to re-establish them and it also means that there's no chance of it presenting any drain on the battery.

Now, I'll need seven connections. Something tells me that the 'Dandy' way of doing this would be to use a tow-bar plug and socket. I'll consider that, but probably go for something a bit smaller and neater Smile

The speakers are going on the back wall board of the sofa-end bed. Again, not the easiest choice of mounting location as it will need some adaptation to incorporate them and though about the wiring, but I wasn't happy with the other options.

This one could take a while to finish Laughing

navver

Post by navver on Tue 07 May 2013, 9:10 pm

Not sure on these. Probably needs a power supply but you could use them in the awning as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 08 May 2013, 8:00 am

I'll look into them navver, thanks. I did think about running the unused rear speaker connections on the radio to an underfloor connection for some awning speakers but thought that was going a bit too far Laughing

One potential problem is that the car radio unit has floating grounds on the speaker connections (they can't be connected to each other or to chassis). I suspect that the wireless units will have a common ground connection, but I'll check on that.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:23 am

I managed to do a bit more work on this last weekend.

I mounted the speaker brackets on a metal plate fitted to the back of the end walls so that only the necessary securing nut is visible on the inside of the camper. This makes for a neat solution whan the speakers are not fitted.

And with the speakers in place -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The radio head fitted to the side of the sink unit:

I used a 7-core cable from the radio into the cupboard underneath. I didn't bother with a connector in the end - just left it long enough to allow the cooker/sink unit to be lifted on and off. The speaker wires are taken through the underseat storage locker then up and under the bed and up the back of the end wall to where the speakers are.

I just need to fit an aerial connector to the back of the sink unit to complete this. I was going to fit an external connector under the Dandy, but it's a lot easier just to take the aerial wire in through the window behind the kitchen Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:53 am

Great job, it looks really neat ...... as though it was meant to be there 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:43 am