Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


help i have a leak

Share

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 11:46 am

hi all can anyone help me please, we've only had Mimzy a dandy destiny for a few months and put her up in the back garden to let her air for a few weeks so i could recover her seats and give her a good tidy up and clean the outside before we go away next weekend for the first time so we are novices . yesterday i finished off recovering the hinge parts on the bed base and noticed that it was wet in the corners so i felt the pvc wall and roof where the wet parts were and they were all dry with no sign of any rips or tears, so i inspected the outside and the bungee elastic was no good so i changed them this morning not sure if it was that??? i did notice that there is what seems to be a round wooden pole on that part of the roof end where the bungees go through and it wasn't directly in the middle??. on the other bed/sofa at the other end that seemed to be dry but that happens to be the side of the roof that is pop riveted to the frame from the outside. i have taken pictures of everything so hopefully someone can advise me on whats wrong!! it does look like it is coming in from underneath but not sure how???

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

thank you Simone x


Last edited by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding my name to post)
avatar
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 69
Location : north east lincs

Re: help i have a leak

Post by mike on Wed 15 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Well i do agree it looks a mess,have you had the dandy erected with a heater in and no bedding,if so with the weather as it is you would get condensation from the metal frame,normally the bedding insulates it.Was there any signs of it when you first erected it it doesn't look like new damp/wet.

mike
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3176
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: help i have a leak

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 15 May 2013, 12:47 pm

Ah how we all see different things. I'm looking at picture 3 with the drops of water on the end of the roof. It looks like the beads of water may be passing over the top of the bed frame between the frame and the wall. I can't visualize things fully as I've not got my own Dandy in front of me.
Why do the bungees have what look like tie wraps on them? Is this to get more tension as the bungee is "no good"? I'm not asking you to strain anything but undo the bungies replace them noting the length (if your not happy with the slack length because the bungie is spoilt then at most desperate ask Ian the free length) Shake the roof and try to re site the bungeed end. Without straining see if it all sites a little better.
With respect to the water on the front wall. My version of events only works if the Dandy is a little off horizontal with water running to the front and away from the right and side of the Dandy. Noticing it gathers at either the bed steady point or the point where the handle is riveted in. Everything alright on the PVC there?

It might be my solution might be Mikes or might be a combination. It will require a little detective work. The pictures are great worth 1,000 if not 10,000 words. Don't fret I severely doubt you have some uniquely falted Dandy.

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

Re: help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:01 pm

mike wrote:Well i do agree it looks a mess,have you had the dandy erected with a heater in and no bedding,if so with the weather as it is you would get condensation from the metal frame,normally the bedding insulates it.Was there any signs of it when you first erected it it doesn't look like new damp/wet.

mike
Hi mike no iv cant say i noticed it before, but this is only the second time we've opened it up since we've owned it.
Its been open almost two weeks now, i haven't had a heater on in there at all as its at the very back of a long garden and the 1 extension we own wont reach, but the damp is defiantly wet. i do think it has something to do with the bungees some how???
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6826
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: help i have a leak

Post by Helen on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Hi, I've sent you a message regarding your upholstery pictures.

On photo 3 it looks as though the roof is only pulled down to the top edge of the bed frame, try undoing the bungees then lift and pull the loose end of the roof before putting the bungee's back on the buttons. We discovered that we weren't pulling our roof tight enough when we first got our Dandy and found that it would come down over the bed frame a bit more. Water may be creeping in along the frame.


navver

Posts : 995
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: help i have a leak

Post by navver on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:38 pm

It looks to me like the beds support tubes are under the bed rather than the beds sides resting on them. Not sure if it's different on a 6.

Also we've had some very strong winds with heavy rain lately, could it have blown under or through the pop rivets. It's amazing how it can lift edges and get under.

Has the roof rope been well tightened or has the end been open enough to let rain blow in.

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:43 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Ah how we all see different things. I'm looking at picture 3 with the drops of water on the end of the roof. It looks like the beads of water may be passing over the top of the bed frame between the frame and the wall. I can't visualize things fully as I've not got my own Dandy in front of me.
Why do the bungees have what look like tie wraps on them? Is this to get more tension as the bungee is "no good"? I'm not asking you to strain anything but undo the bungies replace them noting the length (if your not happy with the slack length because the bungie is spoilt then at most desperate ask Ian the free length) Shake the roof and try to re site the bungeed end. Without straining see if it all sites a little better.
With respect to the water on the front wall. My version of events only works if the Dandy is a little off horizontal with water running to the front and away from the right and side of the Dandy. Noticing it gathers at either the bed steady point or the point where the handle is riveted in. Everything alright on the PVC there?

It might be my solution might be Mikes or might be a combination. It will require a little detective work. The pictures are great worth 1,000 if not 10,000 words. Don't fret I severely doubt you have some uniquely falted Dandy.
Hi tow itch i changed the bungees for new ones this morning, as for the ties wraps on them i just copied how they were before and just assumed that was how all the dandy's have them??? To be honest i hadn't given it a thought to take the bungees off and to re site the roof Embarassed and there is a high probability that it is not 100% level also bom we are new to it and learning all the time cheers i will have to give the pvc by the handles a good once over.

I must say that from inside the roof does look a little saggy again i just assumed it should be like that, and also as its been raining for a few days on the day i was in there i noticed that there were two places where the rain had collected one right by the door which when i pushed the roof up carefully most of it came in through the top of the door and down the wardrobe and soaked me and the other on the same side but by the window but that drained off ok.
Where it is parked is under lots of trees so even if it stops raining it is still going to get dripped on
thanks for your thoughts
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6826
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: help i have a leak

Post by Helen on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:49 pm

Take a look at this thread, extra bungees really help with a lifting roof [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:58 pm

Helen your probably right about the roof not being down far enough, again i didnt know that i could/should do that with the roof.

Navver im not sure where the support bars are supposed to sit underneath the bed base???, i think we put them roughly in the middle of the bed so it look like weve put her up right but just need to do some tweaking thanks for your advice xx

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 2:06 pm

Helen wrote:Take a look at this thread, extra bungees really help with a lifting roof [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

omg what a great idea that will help loads im sure you guys are so helpful i really appreciate it everyone
avatar
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 69
Location : north east lincs

Re: help i have a leak

Post by mike on Wed 15 May 2013, 2:50 pm

There looks to be a lot of water on the button,is it possible there is a capillary action around the buttons and there fixing points

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

carteramberdamon

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 37
Location : westbromwich

help i have a leak

Post by carteramberdamon on Wed 15 May 2013, 6:02 pm

Hi mike yes that was kind of what i was thinking but not sure how to word it, it does seem to be where the bolts/rivets are pretty much corresponding with the wet patches, obviously its not good but im thinking its not as bad as it seems because the water will seep to places where there is no leak???

Maybe if i use some silicone on and around the buttons when it has stopped raining and dried out a bit that may help to stop it??? it wont hurt Suspect
avatar
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

Re: help i have a leak

Post by Phoenix on Wed 15 May 2013, 6:24 pm

It could be the roof is not pulled over tight enough therefore not creating a drip edge for the water to run off. If you look at your house windows or external doors drip bar there is a groove in them for this purpose. Without a drip edge the water can by capillary action get up into the gap.

We had a similar problem with Phoenix when we first put her up. Her roof had shrunk slightly leaving a gap between it and the side of the bed base. See here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As a cure we put a piece of house DPM, you could just use a strip of plastic under the edge of the roof and over the bed base. See here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Re: help i have a leak

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:16 am