Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

A frame Gas Box

Liverich

A frame Gas Box

Post by Liverich on Thu 16 May 2013, 2:15 pm

Hi folks, Hope someone can help.

I was the lucky purchaser of a Dandy 6 last weekend, Genrally in good nick. It came with the Gas box; but not attached. What I have is the fiber glass box with no internals or fittings, and wondered if anyone has a photo or a discription of how the original was attached to the aframe and how the gas bottles where retianed internally?

For identifications sake it is this one:

search ebay completed listings: "dandy 6 berth trailer tent like conway ,vw camping"

(sorry first post so cannot post URL's)

Any help would be appreciated.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: A frame Gas Box

Post by Helen on Thu 16 May 2013, 3:23 pm

Hi and welcome to the Dandy Campers

congratulations on the purchase of your Dandy

Our front box has a cage inside the cage is then split into two compartments. Not sure how it's fitted on the Dandy without taking the stuff out of the front box, if no one else has the answer then I'll ask the hubby to check in the morning

navver

Post by navver on Thu 16 May 2013, 4:00 pm

Ours is the white one and also has a cage but split into 3 compartments. 2 for gas bottles and the middle one for battery.

My gas bottles are only secured by bungees to the cage. Mine are camping gas which are smaller than Calor. I think Calor will fit without securing as the cage is made a snug fit for them.

In the bottom there is a sheet of plywood and I assume this & the cage & the box are fixed to the A Frame somehow.

That looks a smart dandy and it looks like you came to Bristol to buy it. That's where we live.

Be aware that when the beds are open, you can't actually get to the gas box on a six. You'll probably find most people just carry the cylinder on top of the camper.
Years ago, gas bottles were carried on a bracket fixed to the drawbar without any form of box or enclosure. Your box may just fit over such a bracket.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Thu 16 May 2013, 5:29 pm

Our light blue Designer had the cage like navver's with two sections for gas bottles and a middle one for the battery. The gas holders were indeed an exact fit for the small Calor cylinders.

The box, with wooden baseboard was secured to the A-frame with screws and nuts, with a large washer under the screw head being used to trap the wire cage in place.

The box on yours looks wider - would you be able to make up a timber frame to go inside it with the partitions you need?

Congratulations on your purchase. I was watching that auction as it ended and was almost tempted to make a bid. The price was very low up until the last minutes but you still got a bargain.

Liverich

Post by Liverich on Thu 16 May 2013, 8:05 pm

Thanks for your reply folks. And for your warm welcome. I would never have considered the issue of not gaining access to the gas bottles after th dandy is setup. Thanks. I think I need to sit down and consider my options starting with a simple base board holding down the box and support in the bottom. I can see what you mean by the wire cage I found a photo on the yahoo group.

navver

Post by navver on Thu 16 May 2013, 8:10 pm

The wire basket is pop riveted to the A frame with the pop rivets going through the wooden baseboard as well.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 16 May 2013, 8:43 pm

Hello and Liverich

Congratulations on your purchase. We watched it go too. lol!

With regards to accessing the front box when set up, we did once read somewhere where someone had made a trapdoor in the bed base to gain access. When we get around to building our front box we were thinking of going that route. Smile

navver

Post by navver on Thu 16 May 2013, 9:37 pm

I wonder if you could make a box in ply with a removable front wall so you can access it. You can use these to secure the bottles to the rear wall.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:48 am