Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

awning...best non dandy???

john and sharon

awning...best non dandy???

Post by john and sharon on Tue 21 May 2013, 5:44 am

we have been advised the 'royal traveller 3' although spotted one dandy owner having done a lot of alterations to theirs

what about [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ...seems higher

any thoughts advice ideas would be greatly appreciated...we are newbies and don't want to spend until we are sure

we own a dandy delta
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: awning...best non dandy???

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 21 May 2013, 9:49 am

Hello

I'm not sure if there is a best just what is best for you or what is best for certain situations.
Do you not have a Dandy awning or have you been put off using the one you have with tales of their weight?
Helen is the best person to help you with the most experience of other awning options.
Try looking through the section [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Especially [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which covers contrasting wants.
I did get a later Designer and the awnings are heavy but they are all but bulletproof. I had the awning up (with a storm strap) in unbelieveable winds. I then elected to add zips to lighten the lift of the awning and add some variety. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'll let Helen or others with experience cover the non Dandy options.

How old is your Delta? When did you buy it? Why did you buy a Dandy?
Do you have any photos? We love photos here!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 21 May 2013, 10:35 am

That looks like a big awning, the height is also good but you'd probably have to pull the rear tunnel over the Dandy rather than tuck it in under the roof. Probably stating the obvious but if it's higher than the roof at any point and you tuck it under you could end up with drips inside your Dandy. I had a drive away that was a different shape than the dandy roof and pulled the tunnel around, it worked quite well for providing the space we wanted but we did have a lot of bugs getting in the awning from the top, you can get a reasonable fit this way but the Dandy roof is flexible so you don't get a 'seal' and if it gets windy there is movement of both the roof of the Dandy and the roof of the awning ..... with us it resulted in lots of dragon fly's even when it wasn't windy What a Face

You do have to alter the Royal Traveller to fit but when it's done it's great, there are lots of options in the 'other Dandy Awning Ideas' thread but if you want to know if one not mentioned will fit ..... we measured the door height, the apex height and the door opening width of several Dandy's

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

togg1574

Post by togg1574 on Tue 21 May 2013, 4:15 pm

hi tow itch how much did it lighten the awning when you had the zipps fited thank you tony
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Tue 21 May 2013, 4:30 pm

togg1574 wrote:hi tow itch how much did it lighten the awning when you had the zipps fited thank you tony

Our awning has the sides zipped out and it does make it considerably lighter.
john and sharon

Post by john and sharon on Wed 22 May 2013, 5:53 am

Tow Itch wrote: Hello

I'm not sure if there is a best just what is best for you or what is best for certain situations.
Do you not have a Dandy awning or have you been put off using the one you have with tales of their weight?
Helen is the best person to help you with the most experience of other awning options.
Try looking through the section [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Especially [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which covers contrasting wants.
I did get a later Designer and the awnings are heavy but they are all but bulletproof. I had the awning up (with a storm strap) in unbelieveable winds. I then elected to add zips to lighten the lift of the awning and add some variety. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'll let Helen or others with experience cover the non Dandy options.

How old is your Delta? When did you buy it? Why did you buy a Dandy?
Do you have any photos? We love photos here!

2003, a few weeks ago, health reasons

dont currently have an awning, feel dandy awning might be too heavy for me to handle

bought it locally, it was on ebay the 'time capsule' one. after visiting riva/dandy sales and surfing the web and falling in love with a 2006 destiny located at caseys camping shop(now sold) dropped onto this one. it was only 5 mile away. needed something light and easy to store. have had a couple of caravans in the past...delta stored in garage, getting kit together ready for first outing...

found helens pics a while back...very interesting...dont own a sewing machine though...not confident could do such a good job...feel i might bodge it...fingers on button ready to buy the royal awning though...£209 on internet...

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 22 May 2013, 6:10 am

I'd go for something even easier if you have health problems ..... perhaps a movelite XL, only two poles and lighter than the royal traveller ..... also easier to erect and no alterations to do, the traveller is a great fit once done but the framework is a darn site more difficult than on the movelite.
john and sharon

Post by john and sharon on Wed 22 May 2013, 6:26 am

hi helen, yes looking at this one too, does seem simple to erect. choices choices made easier mind browsing through forums

tow titch, still have ebay pics dont seem to be-able to download
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 22 May 2013, 11:52 am

john and sharon wrote:hi helen, yes looking at this one too, does seem simple to erect. choices choices made easier mind browsing through forums

tow titch, still have ebay pics dont seem to be-able to download

Unusually for me can't find the ad. put the ad link in and I'll try to download.

003, a few weeks ago, health reasons

dont currently have an awning, feel dandy awning might be too heavy for me to handle

I'm notionally a large sized bloke but have had n number of stomach ops so I'm not too good at lifting and stretching. I can find it a struggle to pull up the front and back on my designer. So if you can do that a PVC awning may not be impossible. Come to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to find out. I would generously allow you to put up and/or take down my awning so you may asses how you feel.

You do need at least 2 people but they are on reflection not that bad. No worries once up though whatever the weather.

togg1574 wrote:hi tow itch how much did it lighten the awning when you had the zipps fited thank you tony

Tony alas I failed to pull the full awning up using the holiday suitcase scale then repeat the exercise with the sides off. I realise I'm listed as the forums technical researcher and beg forgiveness for my lack of application here.

Fu<£ you, you sarcastic B^57^4d being the general response to that.

Please I beg you now stand in my shoes. How do I objectively tell you how much lighter it is?

To be honest with increased practice and improved technique I would tend to erect as one piece.

Fixing the frame up with a low front (legs as low as they will go) get help and throw the awning on top of the frame and unroll. The weight of the sides helps stop the roof falling through the frame. Then tie the inside edge in and roll out the awning.

The unzipping sides did allow me to single handedly pack up following the Dent festival last year. I was desperately unwell at the time. (not just beer induced unwell)
As the front is not attached when erecting, removing the sides removes 40/45% of the weight.
After help with the frame I did manage an almost single handed erection of the awning as a sun canopy last September at the Goodwood revival.
On reflection not sure if we got used to the roof starting to fall through the frame. We might have erected without the sides more often than I thought.
Sorry limited and faulted memory on my part.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 22 May 2013, 12:10 pm

The cure for the roof falling in is to peg out the guy ropes lossely as you go .... you can always reposition them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:08 am