Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hello Im New!

Holpol

Hello Im New!

Post by Holpol on Thu 23 May 2013, 7:32 pm

Hello all, thought it was a good idea to register as I have been perusing your site for a few weeks (it's been brilliant for research) and You seem like a friendly bunch! I'm not yet a Dandy owner, but I hope to be soon. I'm currently searching for the perfect one. Seen a few on eBay that I like, so fingers crossed I will be joining the rest of you soon! I currently have a 1980s folding caravan, a Rapido, or Pid, as we call her. But alas, we have never been out in her because she was a restoration project, and we haven't found the time to give her the tlc she needs. I wanted something with character and the Dandys are so lovely looking, with the added benefit of PVC, it was a no brainer really, so ive decided to cut my losses and sell her and get a Dandy instead. Any buying tips, advice etc much appreciated. What's an average price for 1980s Dandy in fair condition? I appreciate this varies quite a bit, but a fair idea would be handy. Thanks all :-) Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Hello Im New!

Post by Helen on Thu 23 May 2013, 7:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the Dandy campers, prices vary because condition can so much. Best thing we can do is if you see a Dandy you are thinking of buying then let us know which one and we can take a look at it ...... as best we can with adverts. You never know we may have some knowledge of the Dandy your considering.

You made a great decision

I'd say an 80's Dandy anywhere from 350 to 750 ..... a decades a long time and depends if your getting an awning with it or not Laughing

navver

Post by navver on Thu 23 May 2013, 7:49 pm

Hi Holpol & a warm welcome to the forum. I joined several months ago and spent ages sorting my mind out as to what I wanted and finally bought a Designer about 3 weeks ago.

Have you any thoughts on which Dandy would suit you. How many do you want to sleep. Do you have decent room to store one etc.

This shows the different types.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This has buying tips and things to look out for. As you can imagine, the price is what you are willing to pay but to my mind depends a lot on the condition and 'extras' such as awning, heater, side wall insulation etc.

The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Thu 23 May 2013, 8:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Holpol, you've certainly made the right choice deciding on a Dandy you won't regret your decision I'm sure. Take your time, do a lot of research perhaps go and view some if you can, to firm up your idea of exactly what you want. Don't be afraid to ask questions they're a really great bunch on here and they've all helped me & me husband loads over the 3 years that we've owned a Dandy.

The Dandy for you is out there believe me and it will find you, often when you're not expecting it. That may sound strange, but ask anyone on here and they'll tell you it's true!
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 23 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Hello and Holpol

You have made a wise choice, your Dandy WILL find you.

What area do you hail from? Just incase anyone spots one near you.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 24 May 2013, 3:26 am

to the forum hope your search and folder sale go well.

mike
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Fri 24 May 2013, 6:53 am

Welcome Holpol! And welcome to the world of plastic fantastic. You won't be disappointed. It doesn't matter if you want the later models or or an old one, one that' s in concourse condition or a restoration project. They all provide bomb-proof camping for use throughout the year. Yes, the right one will find you. In fact, there's a great danger that more than one will find you and insist on taking residence. You do need to be ready though for the feeling of smugness that can so easily overtake you when you venture out on a trip that turns to torrential rain and high winds, as you watch the misery of 'ordinary' campers around you. I can promise you that you will be snug and safe and will weather any storm.

Steve

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Sun 26 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for my late reply, I have only just seen this, I'm still getting the hang of the forums, and didn't realise people had replied!

Wow, what a friendly bunch you are, so willing to help! THANKYOU very much. I thought I had found one the other day, but have since changed my mind because something didn't feel right about the sale and the man I was buying from- strangely evasive. So the search continues! But I think you are right about doing research and taking my time- I want to make sure I get the right one.

In terms of preference, I do quite like the 6 berths, because they appear to have more room with the table, but in terms of use, there are three of us (hubby and my 3 year old son) so we don't really need one that size. I quite like ones with more windows but to be honest all the Dandys have so much character that I could be easily swayed!

How easy are Dandys to erect? We found our previous van very difficult but that was very heavy because it was totally metal, whereas Dandys are not.

Thanks for all your help and support- hopefully I will become a part of your world soon! :-)

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Sun 26 May 2013, 10:28 pm

By the way, tank you for the links, they are very useful! Good to know about patches and to avoid as I hadn't thought about that.

Also, I live in Essex, but nearer the London/Cambridgeshire side than other side. We are very close to the m11.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 26 May 2013, 10:48 pm

Dandy's are easy to erect once you get the hang of them, there are loads of tips on here. If you need any pointers just ask. Most of the 6's have gas struts which help to make them easier to put up.

There are a few on Fleabay near you at the moment including this very clean Orange 5.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 26 May 2013, 11:08 pm

Holpol wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for my late reply, I have only just seen this, I'm still getting the hang of the forums, and didn't realise people had replied!

Wow, what a friendly bunch you are, so willing to help! THANKYOU very much. I thought I had found one the other day, but have since changed my mind because something didn't feel right about the sale and the man I was buying from- strangely evasive. So the search continues! But I think you are right about doing research and taking my time- I want to make sure I get the right one.

In terms of preference, I do quite like the 6 berths, because they appear to have more room with the table, but in terms of use, there are three of us (hubby and my 3 year old son) so we don't really need one that size. I quite like ones with more windows but to be honest all the Dandys have so much character that I could be easily swayed!

How easy are Dandys to erect? We found our previous van very difficult but that was very heavy because it was totally metal, whereas Dandys are not.

Thanks for all your help and support- hopefully I will become a part of your world soon! :-)

It wasn't a Destiny on eBay that you were looking at with the evasive seller was it?

navver

Post by navver on Sun 26 May 2013, 11:14 pm

Hi Holpol, the designer is very nice out of the smaller ones. Has an extra window over the bed and a 2 seater dining area. You could use a chair or stool with it, the tables plenty big enough for 3.

It is also the only one with n extra window over the bed which is nice in the morning and gives a view in a third direction.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 27 May 2013, 7:57 am

There's information here regarding Dandy types and sizes
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 28 May 2013, 3:20 pm

I don't know how much work your folding caravan needs but have you seen this ad? If yours is basically sound they may agree to a plus cash offer. I realise not a lot of folding caravans come up. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 28 May 2013, 3:55 pm

If you intend camping out of season the 6 berth are great plenty of space to sit around on wet cold days.

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Tue 28 May 2013, 9:04 pm

Hi all,

Thanks two itch for the link- yes I saw that a couple of weeks ago and I did message him, but he was looking for something in much better condition than ours was.

BUT, the fantastic news is that WE ARE NOW DANDY OWNERS! One came up on preloved two nights ago, really local to us- the first one I have seen thats local, so it seems like its meant to be! You were all right when you said your Dandy will find you when you least expect it! We went to see it on Monday morning, it's gorgeous. A six berth in brown with white roof and door- seems a pretty popular model. I think late 70s, early 80s. The people we are buying off are just lovely, they have had it for 25 years, thrown loads of camping gear in with it too. They've taken her to the Swiss Alps, France among other places. It's nice to have one with some history!

Going to collect her tomorrow with my brother as we have to wait for our tow bar to be fitted. We've been quoted £190 for a tow bar, does this sound reasonable? It's for a ford Mondeo. I think it's pretty reasonable. Hubby wants to buy one from eBay though and fit it himself, has anyone had any experience with this? Is it a good idea?

Dandy needs a couple of jobs but mostly ready to camp, I can't wait to go out in her. There is some damage to the table which was done by the first owners, but father in law is a carpenter so hoping he will help to fix it.

Once we have her, I will take and post some pictures! She's just the type I want with three windows, so lots of light, and all wooden panel sides. Cannot believe how big the six berths are! Got her for £200, which I think was a bargain!

Sorry I have waffled on but I'm so excited! :-) thank you for all the links to adverts- you are all so helpful!

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Tue 28 May 2013, 9:05 pm

Oh, and I sold my folding caravan today too, so it has been a good week!

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Tue 28 May 2013, 9:10 pm

It wasn't a Destiny on eBay that you were looking at with the evasive seller was it?[/quote]

Sorry tow itch I don't know if it was a Destiny or not.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 28 May 2013, 9:29 pm

Well done Hollie ....... total bargain.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 28 May 2013, 10:52 pm

Holpol wrote:

It wasn't a Destiny on eBay that you were looking at with the evasive seller was it?

Sorry tow itch I don't know if it was a Destiny or not. [/quote]

I was just wondering if your evasive seller was this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] apparently several of us phoned but the seller was quite evasive. Have you followed the thread with regards to this?
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 29 May 2013, 2:37 pm

Welcome Holpol and congratulations on your new Dandy cheers

Sounds like a fantastic bargain indeed.

Regarding the tow-bar - £190 doesn't sound bad at all (assuming it includes electrics).

I have fitted towbars to two Fords in the past and the mechanical work is a straightforward task, the electrics can be a bit tricky though unless you have a 'plug and play' wiring loom already in place in the car.

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Wed 29 May 2013, 9:54 pm

We now have our Dandy, who we have decided to call 'Lady', home! We have set her up on the drive tonight and I am writing this post from one of her comfy sofas/bed. We are so silly, we even cooked dinner (beans on toast) on the dive in here earlier and ate dinner in here- Our little boy loves it, as do we! Over the moon with her- cant wait to get a few bits from the shops tomorrow to add, although she came with a lot already so we are pretty lucky really.

We tested the electric tonight, and they worked first but they seemed to have stopped. Hubby is going to take a closer look another day, see what the problem might be.

Tow itch, I did reply to you last but my post isn't on here? Anyway, was just saying that he wasn't the evasive one I was on about, although I did speak with him and wasn't aware if that situation until after I had a spoken with him and are ached what he was selling on The Internet- it was then that I realised the situation! But no, this was a different one.

Thanks Peridot, that's proved useful advice. In the end, hubby talked me round to buying one on the Internet (the company have been selling them for years and they appear reputable) and he wants to do it himself so fingers crossed we will manage! Watch this space...

Anyway, I always talk about me, but I'd love to hear what everyone else's Dandys are like, and their experiences of the. If you have anything you'd like to share, please do so! It's nice to tak with like minded people!

I will send/post a picture of me serving up dinner in Lady tonight if I can, but I don't know how? Thought you might find it funny!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 29 May 2013, 10:02 pm

Ha ha we always have a brew in the Dandy when we have it erected at home and yes occasionally a bacon butty, we shut the door and put the radio on too lol!

I have a Designer and love it.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Wed 29 May 2013, 10:32 pm

on your purchase Holpol. Glad you are having fun already.

We went the full hog, had a BBQ and camped in Phoenix in the back garden when we had just about finished her rebuild. lol!

The dogs loved it. Laughing

Holpol

Post by Holpol on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm

I saw your renovation video on Phoenix, it was fab. Hubby very impressed! We have still got Lady up on the drive, been eating and playing in her all week. New carpet being fitted this week and I've ordered material to recover the cushions, but I'm keeping the originals underneath as I do love them. I'm pretty torn actually between keeping her as she is and updating her, but hubby thinks it will be nice to freshen her up. Towbar went well- all on by hubby! Great stuff! A quick question, does anyone kne how you service the back lights on the trailer? Hubby wants to know. Ta :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 7:33 am