Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Saying hello!:)

Mennace

Saying hello!:)

Post by Mennace on Fri 31 May 2013, 12:07 am

To give a little introduction to myself: My name's Dennis, I'm 21 years old and probably not what you'd expect of most people my age. I'm an ex-South African so camping is rather firmly placed in my blood and after having many-a-dreadful night in a tent, I've decided to upgrade and after reading up online it seems that Dandy is the way to go.

A little about my Dandy:
So, I purchased myself a 1980'ish Brown 4/5 Berth Dandy on eBay for the grand total of £300. There is very little to no rust and only the bottom part of the door needs replacing (or I'm being naive and I'm way in over my head, but time shall tell!).

I dare not leave you all with suspense so I've attached a link to an online album for your viewing pleasure: imgur.com/a/idAIu#0 (I realise I have a few things laying around, it's because I had no idea where they went, but all is good now!)

Regards
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Saying hello!:)

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 31 May 2013, 1:01 am

Hello and welcome.
As you may have spotted camping in this country is colder than in South Africa.
I was shocked that a suitable state of coma couldn't be induced in anyone under 30 so that they even knew what the night in the tent felt like. I was in my 30's before I ever used a camping mat. Then again I'm thick.
A nice Dandy 5.
Some novel patterns for the bungees holding the roof down.
The bit with the half hinges on the bed or the floor is the back of the middle cupboard.
If we are not too geriatric for you feel free to join us for our second birthday at Woodhall Spa next weekend. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Did you get an awning with the Dandy or is the need for an awning the 1st sign of middle age.

My mates missus is off ill in hospital at the moment but you will no doubt be invited up for a braai when she is up and well.
She seems to act as mother hen for 1/2 the South African ex pats of Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Scouseland.
In these touchy feely times it's hard for us to treat newcomers to our shores in the robust and hearty ways we would have once. I think it's something to do with us being called racists and xenophobes if we do. Then again you're South African so it doesn't matter because:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm sure it's the standard greeting song. Welcome Mennace hope your having and continue to have a great time.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 31 May 2013, 3:44 am

to the forum,hope you enjoy your dandy.

mike
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 31 May 2013, 8:44 am

Hi Mennace,

It is unusual for someone of your age to discover a Dandy, My kids love mine and my daughter has already had one ...... my son would like one but had no where to put one, he has just bought his first house and it has space cheers he will be on the hunt for a Dandy for next season. I don't think it's that younger people don't like Dandy's because from my experience they do, It may be that they just don't know about them.

Enjoy your Dandy Dennis and welcome to the Dandy Campers forum
Mennace

Post by Mennace on Fri 31 May 2013, 9:48 am

Tow Itch wrote:Some novel patterns for the bungees holding the roof down.

I still need to learn! I've got no idea where they should go and the instruction booklet tells me QUITE A BIT less than necessary.

Tow Itch wrote:The bit with the half hinges on the bed or the floor is the back of the middle cupboard.

Saved me on that one. I was utterly baffled looking for two holes spaced the length of that board apart from each other.

Tow Itch wrote:Did you get an awning with the Dandy or is the need for an awning the 1st sign of middle age.

Unfortunately not! Scouring the internet for one, it's something I REALLY want.

Tow Itch wrote:I'm sure it's the standard greeting song. Welcome Mennace hope your having and continue to have a great time.

First time I've heard it and I've already done the rounds and sent it to any other South African I know. Was a great way to start the day! (Minus it being payday to spend more money on my Dandy).

Helen wrote:It is unusual for someone of your age to discover a Dandy

My friends have laughed and giggled at me on facebook and all I can think is, "You have no idea what you're missing out on..." Kids these days don't know how to enjoy the finer things in life! (This likely makes me sound a lot older than I am, but camping at a £5'er a night around a fire with a glass of red wine is WAY better than wasting £50+ on a night out getting drunk and not remembering much of it the next morning - in my opinion)

I'll admit I come from a bit of a 'glamping' background (see the attached photo at the bottom) but I feel it's my turn to sprout from my Dad's camping gear and start making my own inventory. I have no doubt I'll enjoy a Dandy and I do look forward to attending a meetup or a few! (Unfortunately I'm up in Durham during the time of the next one!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 31 May 2013, 10:18 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jesus that is an awning, I'm jealous.

Is that some posh fire pit or a washing machine drum one. Washing machine drums are just as posh and get cred points for effort.

There is a 5 brown awning for sale at the moment but they want daft money £180 I'd offer £100 at best. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you're still getting campsites at £5 PPPN then do post them they are getting harder to find.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Fri 31 May 2013, 3:30 pm

**** me What a Face That's the grandest awning setup I've ever seen.

Welcome mennace ... congratulations on your Dandy, I hope it provides you with lots of good times.

One of my work colleagues has just become an ex-South African so to speak. He had to do a test to determine whether he was sufficiently "British", which he passed with flying colours. He kept the question sheet and thus far we have been unable to find a single British person who can come close to passing it Laughing

Mennace

Post by Mennace on Fri 31 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Tow Itch wrote:Jesus that is an awning, I'm jealous.
peridot wrote:**** me That's the grandest awning setup I've ever seen.

To try and justify why such an awning was required is impossible. My Dad had it custom made as the first 'little' section wasn't really enough and we would caravan on the beach for an entire month during the South African summer, so you would have to be a little more 'rigged'. If I remember correctly, the entire length from the back of the caravan to the front of the last bit of awning was roughly 7 meters.

Tow Itch wrote:Is that some posh fire pit or a washing machine drum one. Washing machine drums are just as posh and get cred points for effort.

That is most definitely a washing machine drum. It's also sitting on a old Bedford steering wheel (the drum's pin fits perfectly into the steering column hole!). We oddly enough just bought another 2 stainless steel washing drums off eBay that need their prep.

peridot wrote:One of my work colleagues has just become an ex-South African so to speak. He had to do a test to determine whether he was sufficiently "British", which he passed with flying colours. He kept the question sheet and thus far we have been unable to find a single British person who can come close to passing it

Don't get me started on that silly test. I wrote mine just over a month ago (before the new set of questions came in, so I had to study all the 2005 data) and I have yet to find anyone who can just guess some of the answers, let-alone actually answer some.

Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 31 May 2013, 6:08 pm

Hello and Mennace

That is one hell of an awning, did you have a trailer behind the caravan for transporting it. lol!

Camping on a beach for a month sounds idyllic. Perhaps not over here though. Laughing
nattygeegee

Post by nattygeegee on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:49 am

Hi Menace
your Dandy looks great, a lot like ours, which is an 80's brown 4/5.
Loving the idea of a washing machine drum for a fire pit, maybe you could teach my husband a thing or to about Bbqing meat Very Happy

Ali T

Post by Ali T on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Hi, welcome from another newbie. Used to live in RSA as a kid, in Kempton Park.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 9:46 am