Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

roof lifting pole mini disaster

stevie9398

roof lifting pole mini disaster

Post by stevie9398 on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 6:39 am

We had a good trip away over the half term week and stayed at Greenhill Farm near Oxford. Our Dandy generated quite a bit of interest.

When we got home I needed something under the cover and noticed one of the lifting poles/hoops had slipped down the front wall of the trailer during travel. The damage is mostly cosmetic - paint scraped off and cracked the edging trim on the top of the wall.

I'm concerned how I can prevent this from happening again. Ours is a Dimension but I'm pretty sure these poles are identical to those on most if not all of the six berth Dandys.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Steve
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: roof lifting pole mini disaster

Post by mike on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:03 am

stevie9398 wrote:We had a good trip away over the half term week and stayed at Greenhill Farm near Oxford. Our Dandy generated quite a bit of interest.

When we got home I needed something under the cover and noticed one of the lifting poles/hoops had slipped down the front wall of the trailer during travel. The damage is mostly cosmetic - paint scraped off and cracked the edging trim on the top of the wall.

I'm concerned how I can prevent this from happening again. Ours is a Dimension but I'm pretty sure these poles are identical to those on most if not all of the six berth Dandys.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Steve

You have me a little confused as the hoops on a six fold into the middle are you sure yours shouldn't

stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Mike. I didn't explain properly. The hoops are square steel tubes welded to form an arch. At each of the top corners two short pieces of section are welded. When the hoop is upright these short bits lock into the walls and the batwings. When the hoop is down the short bits of tube are now vertical and support the bed. One end rests on top of the trailer edge. With all the movement on the road one of these has slipped off the wall and run down the outside of the trailer.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Sounds different to a six then,possible a stronger solution.

mike

stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

Perhaps the six is like the Designer we had previousl?, a round tube that laid flat when folded
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 4:15 pm

The one that locks onto the walls is square section but it works the same way as the designer.

mike
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

It's the same arrangement on our Destiny. I'll have a closer look when we have it out at the weekend as I hadn't previously considered the risk of it slipping off when travelling.

The problem we do have is that the front piece rests directly on the lower part of the door and exerts a downward pressure on it. This has slightly distorted the door and causes it to bind at the bottom. I was thinking of making up something that bridges the top of the door to take the weight of the bed - a piece of aluminium channel might be sufficient.

stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

There's a fair amount of weight and I can see how the door would be pushed down. My trailer is shorter so nothing rests on the door - the beds virtualy meeting in the middle on the Dimension.

On further examination it looks to me that the rear hoop on mine has been made slightly out of square. This means on the front wall it sits half way over the edge and on the rear wall it digs in to the Aluminium weather strip.
I don't believe the pole has bent out of shape as it's got welded re-enforcing strips across the top.

I've cut a small piece of timber to go in the hinge gap and the pole presses it in slightly holding it in place. Now on the road there's no way to pole can jump off. It's strange really as the pole seems to line up with the wall and everything is straight when it's up.

Steve
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

I took a picture of ours at the weekend. There doesn't appear to be any risk of the hoop slipping off but I think I'll get a piece of channel to fit across the top of the door and hold the end of the hoop. It appears that there is a height difference between the top of the door and the side walls - the door hasn't been pushed down as much as it might seem at first but it could do with being shimmed up by a millimetre or two.

Note PVC left tucked under bed board. I found the lengthy debate regarding this on one of the threads here and thought I'd give it a try. Seems to be fine and leaves a lot more storage area in the middle.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

stevie9398

Post by stevie9398 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

Is it possible to open the lower door on the Destiny?  I presume you can lift the pole slightly to swing the door open.

I've never tried folding the roof inside, not sure about that.  I suppose on the longer Destiny trailer it would leave a big gap between the two beds for storage.  Our Dimension is the smallest of the 6 berths and there's only approx. 10cm gap anyway.

Back to my original problem I'm confident the problem is one of my hoops is slightly out of square so sits slightly to one edge making it more likely to bounce down the side on our bumpy pot-holed roads.

Riva were able to supply some replacement plastic capping for the top edge.  Ian confirmed the paint on the newer Rivas is 'Hull White' so I can get some for touching up.

Steve
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

Yes the door can be opened by taking the pressure off the roof pole. I suppose the only advantage its position offers is to help retain the door closed should the separate catch be left open.

Let me know if you source suitable paint as I've managed to pick up a few scratches manoeuvring the unit into our very tight garage space. I've seen some dark blue bumper inset strip available from a motor factors. I may use that to make some 'go faster' stripes to cover the worst of them and act as a protector against future scrapes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:15 am