Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

hello.help needed.. :)

amanda13

hello.help needed.. :)

Post by amanda13 on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:11 pm

hello
new to the forum.
we have a dandy from aug 1984, (brown/mushroom)
we would love an awning for it, the other half is looking at a Freedom Microlite.. (i want to keep the dandy and get an awning for it) what does everyone think?
thanks guys and gals
amanda
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: hello.help needed.. :)

Post by Phoenix on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm

Hello and Welcome Amanda.

We gather you need an awning for your Dandy. Smile

It would help if we knew what size it is, is it a 4, 4/5 or a 6 berth?
Awnings do come up for sale very occasionally but you really have to keep your eyes peeled. Have you considered using an alternative awning, a few people on here have successfully adapted drive away awnings etc and prefer them as they are lighter to erect than the original pvc ones.

amanda13

Post by amanda13 on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

Hi Phoenix yes I do! Wink
It is I think a 4/5 ( 2 doubles either side, and seat maybe suitable bed for a child.)
What other suitable ' alternatives ' would you recommend?

amanda13

Post by amanda13 on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

I don't want a caravan! :/
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:02 pm

Helen did a really good job with a Royal Traveller 3.

Have a look [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Also have a look through the "Other Dandy Awning Ideas" threads to see what other people have come up with.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 1:10 am

amanda13 wrote:Hi Phoenix yes I do! Wink
It is I think a 4/5 ( 2 doubles either side, and seat maybe suitable bed for a child.)
What other suitable ' alternatives ' would you recommend?

Width of the "tub" is the best way to work out what you have; 4' is a a 4 or Dart, 4' 10" is a 4 & 1/2 or Delta 5' 10" is a 5 or Designer/Discovery.

if you have a 4 I do have some information on a cheap brown awning.

Numpty moment. Is the Freedom Microlite an alternative folding camper, a type of awning or a personal flight device?

amanda13

Post by amanda13 on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:24 am

It's a micro caravan with a pop top
I think it's a dart, it rolled off of the production line in August 1984.. Is the awning a dandy one or an after market one ? Thanks for everyone's input Smile
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:52 am

to the forum,tell him the young women wont fancy him in a Freedom Microlite Very Happy seriously though i know the advantages of a caravan we have one which we haven't used for over two years,its just not camping.

mike
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:52 am

Ah one of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Quite nice. Solid construction so less likely to leak. It would have it's advantages but also its disadvantages especially; less space than even a Dart (Let alone the larger Dandys), despite being a small caravan it's still more resistive to towing and weight, the caravan weighs 750Kg fully loaded as against the Darts 500Kg but only 170Kg of that is available as load eight the Dandy has 250Kg of available loading.
I'd suggest the Dandy is the cheaper option to try but I'd much prefer you get a caravan if that would be better for you. Have you found an owner group for them?
At the moment you are comparing a 30 year old Dandy to a caravan that will be at worst a few years old. For the same age (or possibly still older) and less money have you seen the last of the large Dandys? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for an awning you are saying here you think you have a Dart but elsewhere this morning still saying a 4 1/2 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You do need to work out which it is. the measurements of the tub with may vary by 2" or so if you had a smaller Dandy with the wheels inboard.
Please feel free to read articles on awnings. Dandy awnings are not the lightest things to put up but once up are all but bulletproof many owners add zips to make the awning lighter and for additional flexibility. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've sent you a PM about the cheap awning.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm

If it's not being too disloyal on way home from the doctors today passed someone selling a Freedom Microlite with a full awning.
I have the details in my car but it's 1989 and the seller is looking for £1,500.
As I say I have the details in my car. If your interested I'll post the details tomorrow. I just can't be arsed now.

navver

Post by navver on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:05 pm

My first caravan was a freedom sunseeker. 10' long and 4 berth. Very basic, sink with electric pump cold tap and built in fridge. 2 ring hob & grill. Very solidly built in fibreglass using an alko chassis. 4 seat dinnette plus 2 seast dinnette and a wardrobe. Loads of roof lockers plus undereat storage. Mains & 12V electrics. Had an awning longer than the caravan. No heater or toilet.

It did work very well but was small for the 4 of us plus dog but we did get by in it. I did like it very much. Towed it with a mini metro. The microlite is smaller and only a little lighter. Still 750kg max.

Our Dandy designer is bigger inside once up, much easier to tow with a small car, uses less fuel, but has less storage and no fridge. I think a high side destiny would certainly be much roomier and still easier to tow.

Oddly, the method of use is different between the dandy and caravan. With the caravan, everything is carried out and put in its final place in the vsrious cupboards and lockers, fridge etc; then carried back into the house at the end of the trip. With the dandy, everything camping orientated stays in the dandy and everything like food, clothing etc stays in the car. This makes packing & unpacking much easier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 10:55 am