Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Share

jjb

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-03-06

Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by jjb on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

After seeing a friends low sided Destiny I am tempted to upgrade my Designer to a larger mode.? Has anyone else done the same, did you regret it or was it the best thing? Does it take much longer or more effort to put up than the designer (this one has gas struts on) and finally how do the low sided ones compare with the newer high sided ones, is one better than the other buildwise, I'm not fussed about the fridge so that doesn't really swing it for me.

All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks
avatar
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 68
Location : north east lincs

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by mike on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

jjb wrote:After seeing a friends low sided Destiny I am tempted to upgrade my Designer to a larger mode.? Has anyone else done the same, did you regret it or was it the best thing? Does it take much longer or more effort to put up than the designer (this one has gas struts on) and finally how do the low sided ones compare with the newer high sided ones, is one better than the other buildwise, I'm not fussed about the fridge so that doesn't really swing it for me.

All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks

We did just that to a dandy 6 early destiny version,they are great loads of space two double beds and still dining area for 4/6,they take no longer to erect and with struts on the walls may even be easier,no idea about bed struts never had them.The low sided are a more basic/simple construction so easier to maintain.

mike

navver

Posts : 995
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by navver on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm

We only really bought the designer as we are limited on storage space on our drive. I find the designer a bit cramped for storage inside and would much prefer the 6 to live in with the greater underbed storage and wardrobe.

How do you like this shaun?
avatar
peridot
Dandy Admin

Posts : 545
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Newport

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by peridot on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm

We're also very limited on storage space but were so determined to upgrade from a Designer to a highside Destiny that we've taken some extreme measures to be able to accommodate it.

So far we're very pleased to have done so. The internal fridge is great but it was the loo that was the must-have for the two other (female) members of the family.

It took a bit of getting used to erecting and collapsing the larger unit but we have it cracked now. I did it all single-handed last weekend in much the same time that I would have the Designer.
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm

peridot wrote:We're also very limited on storage space but were so determined to upgrade from a Designer to a highside Destiny that we've taken some extreme measures to be able to accommodate it.

So far we're very pleased to have done so. The internal fridge is great but it was the loo that was the must-have for the two other (female) members of the family.

It took a bit of getting used to erecting and collapsing the larger unit but we have it cracked now. I did it all single-handed last weekend in much the same time that I would have the Designer.



Lets face it unless the heavens have opened, there is a gale or it's your first few attempts the actual time and effort of erecting the Dandy is not the issue. It's the thousand and one items to pack or unpack when you make or break camp.

Think I've had a light bulb moment here. Recall making or breaking camp. What took the time and what left you knackered. Was it the actual unit?
avatar
peridot
Dandy Admin

Posts : 545
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Newport

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by peridot on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:11 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
Lets face it unless the heavens have opened, there is a gale or it's your first few attempts the actual time and effort of erecting the Dandy is not the issue. It's the thousand and one items to pack or unpack when you make or break camp.

Think I've had a light bulb moment here. Recall making or breaking camp. What took the time and what left you knackered. Was it the actual unit?

You're right Tow Itch and that's where the extra storage space really comes in handy. For example, sorting out the kitchen on the Designer took nearly as long as erecting the unit, but on the destiny the cooker/sink unit just lifts off the top onto the adjacent bench seat and all the equipment can be kept in a ready to use state in the cupboards so there's little unpacking required once the main assembly is done.


navver

Posts : 995
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by navver on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm

That's what I reckon too. I spent ages packing, trying to fill every little knook and cranny to make sure it all fitted. The atual erecting and dropping of the unit is only a few minutes. Our time from decision to go and setting off home was 90 minutes. Of that, dropping the unit is no more than 5 minutes.

And, although the 6 is heavier and you might think you need a bigger car, the opposite is true. You can store everything in the 6 so not so much in the car means a smaller car.
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6826
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 1:17 pm

Putting my folding wardrobe together takes longer than putting the Dandy up Twisted Evil  I leave my duvets on the beds so that's them sorted and I don't empty my top cupboard or the drawer in our Designer ...... some of the best weekends we've had are when we just put the Dandy up, we are all done in half an hour and sat relaxing, packing away is great too when we don't take lots of stuff with us. More space to put stuff inside the Dandy would be good but there are just the two of us and storing a 6 or Destiny would be an issue .....  if I had somewhere to put a bigger Dandy I'd get one.

If we take everything with us and put the awning on ......... it takes us ages to pack the car, unpack the car, set it all up and then do it all again when we're going home but I do enjoy the comforts we have for the extra effort.

navver

Posts : 995
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by navver on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

To be honest, I think if I had a 6, we'd only take more stuff and fill that up as well. Then there'd be even more to pack away. It's like when they built the Avon Ring Road down here; it was great at first but since then, all they've done is build housing estates, retail parks, warehouses etc all around it and the traffic's worse than ever before.
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6826
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

I get that, we had the M60 built practically in the back garden and closer than the plans stated ....... the gasometer was supposed to be going then they said no we can't shift it and swung the road closer to our properties ........ now it's going anyway for a retail park, hotel and cinema. I bet that was planned all along and the traffic is horrendous now.  

I'd like a Destiny mostly because of the built in loo, a 6 for the extra space and larger table, it'd mean when we're away with our family they could come in our unit and eat with us or sit and play cards without the need for awning space but I'd have to pay for storage

Sponsored content

Re: Low sided Destiny opinions please?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 4:59 pm