Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Cooking in your Dandy

sunflowergs

Cooking in your Dandy

Post by sunflowergs on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:21 pm

How many Dandy owners cook inside the trailer? After using the cooker for the first two weekends away i decided to buy a small gas barbeque with a hot plate to use outside the trailer for all those fry up type foods that give off lots of fumes and splatter. I used it outside the awning on our 3rd trip as the weather was great,but i am considering buying a kitchen tent. I found cleaning the Dandy cooker a bit of a pain because the wire grill that you sit saucepans on is not removable.Also i didn't want to polute the trailer with food odours and stain the roof above the cooker with crud. I would probably only use the kitchen tent on trips of a week or longer so i'm still mulling this idea over. I'd be interested to hear from other members on their cooking regimes.
navver

Re: Cooking in your Dandy

Post by navver on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:35 pm

In a week my wife only cooked bacon grill on toast. But there was a very nice restaurant on site with delicious meals, so I put up with it.

We are finding it a challenge after the caravan facilities and would be interestd in tips tc on how to store food and cook it on such a little cooker.

We dont want to use an awning so any cooking must be inside.
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:03 am

The luxury of fitted kitchens tend to go out the window with a Dandy. Outside cooking is great, given the weather and is part of the joy of camping but........
Inside cooking is far more tolerable with the use of vented lids for the fry pan. At least it keeps the splatter to a minimum. 
Our answer is to keep breakfast to cereal, toast and coffee. Other meals tend to fall into two categories:
Home prepared and frozen stews and casseroles (You may be surprised how long they stay frozen in a powered cool box, especially with the help of a frozen, water filled, pop bottle.) It's easy enough to add boiled rice or potatoes to these.
When preparing food on site a slow cooker can be a boon. A piece of kit that we've used extensively, over a period of years is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] These are good for anything between pizza, roasting and casseroling. Not a slow cooker but rather a low powered cooker. The down side is that they aren't the cheapest of items.
The other item we've used for the last eighteen months is 'Wonderbag'. An insulated bag that cooks by using residual heat after food has been started on the stove top. the advantage in a Dandy is that you can go out for the day without leaving any power on.

Steve
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:33 am

I was cooking in a Dandy recently and can see what you mean about spatter but that particular Dandy didn't have a spatter guard round the cooker.
 It would all be worse in a canvas tent.
 I'll leave the thoughts of cooking ,recipes and sutchlike to others I just tend to light up the fire sorry barbecue. Some ideas from others.
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I understand quite a few don't like cooking in the "bedroom", an indication of how homely things are? You wouldn't think twice about cooking in a frame tent.
A table or cooker stand for the awning? One demonstrated here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   

I'd suggest rather than bringing an extra cooker why not consider a top for stage 2 of the kitchen in the dandy therefore turning it into a cupboard and standing the Dandy kitchen and sink on the table in the awning. You have problems with the cooker though. 

"I found cleaning the Dandy cooker a bit of a pain because the wire grill that you sit saucepans on is not removable."

I don't have the cooker in front of me at the moment and can't visualise this. When I got my designer I had to strip the gas rings as they were burning badly with yellow flames. It was just a question of poking the burners through(burners not gas jets don't poke gas jets) and cleaning up the pots beneath. I can't think why the grating above might not remove. Get back to me on this with a picture if possible. It will be a week or two before I'm in the Dandy and can look.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:48 am

Depending on the time of year and if we are on hook up (we always are)we use a slow cooker,pop it on in the morning and then its just a case of mashed potatoes and a tin of peas
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:24 am

Bacon,chicken breasts ect the George foreman grill
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:31 pm

I didn't like the idea of the inside kitchen, so bought a portable cooker, folding table etc for the awning. A La Mr. TowItch.  It means moving the cylinder outside at present. I pack already frozen cassaroles and a slow cooker. I  replaced the top of the cupboard with plywood and made another seat/bedside table.  Dora had been refashioned when we bought her, so the storage cupboard was extended to the cupboard under the kitchen. This means seating for 6 people. This cupboard is used to keep kitchen things in until campsite and then becomes a clothes cupboard.
Essie
tribalkev
tribalkev

Post by tribalkev on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 2:49 am

Coming from a tenter the dandy and the prospect of cooking inside, with no wind to take away all the heat off the ring is a massive plus point of the dandy,

Ive been tenting on no facility sites for 5 years now and breakfast is the easiest meal of the day, but takes over an hour to prep for 6 or more people, first stage is get beans on the heat(in a huge pan), then black pudding in the frying pan, once black pudding is cooked add to beans to keep warm, makes an ace base too, then do sausages and then bacon, as each element cooks add to bean pan, then final element is eggs, not used electric hook up in over 15 year, final stage is butter enough bread to go around, breakfast done, im a bit of a festival junkie and also camp without a fridge so milk is not an option, meat stays fresh longer than milk hehe

Cheers Kev
rabbitlover
rabbitlover

Re cooking in your Dandy

Post by rabbitlover on Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:26 pm

I'm with tribalkev, for me the thought of being able to cook in comfort without needing the awning is a big plus. I can sit in comfort on the seat bench and keep everything under control. To be honest carting all the cooking gear out to the car( it involves steps) was becoming a big barrier to weekend camping, with the dandy most of it stays put. We mostly cook things like pasta, curries, or go for the pre-cooked stew. I don't think I'd fancy a lot of frying inside though.
                 Judith
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm

We've always cooked in the Dandy (except) for BBQs no problems at all, in fact that's one of the things we love about it after being in a tent.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 9:26 am

cook in the Dandy no problems there are splash back/sides saves getting every were did all cooking in the dandy with the occasional treat eating out or BBQ
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

I cook in my Dandy ...... the wire thingy's the pans sit on pull off to clean on mine Wink
fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

The wire stand on my cooker wouldn't come off,found out it had rusted in the holes.
Used some silicone spray to loosen it.
Once off used wire wool to clean the rust off, now lifts off easily. Pete
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:44 pm

Aha silicone spray comes in handy for all sorts x
fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:55 pm

yep wouldn't be without it a lot better than say wd 40
clydestyle

Hi

Post by clydestyle on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 9:05 pm

Prefer cooking in the awning with two single butane burners- only a quid a canister- very cheap and a portable barbeque- ideal!
Ocassionally take a full camping cooker and grill for a longer staybut thinking this is not sensible!!
Mikey

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2019, 3:31 pm