Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hi everyone

discobryan

Hi everyone

Post by discobryan on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:15 pm

Hi folks, just joined as me and my better half (harhar), now that i finally have a towbar, and have some practice with good sized trailers,, are looking to get a dandy trailer, we have looked at a few different makes but dandy seems the best bet and she will not sleep in a tent! so yeah you may be hearing more from us newbies asking for help and advice as we aquire one and so on and so forth

but anyhow
HI!
catch u all later
bryan
Caz1960

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:44 pm

great to here that the Dandy was top of your list not that I'm being bias what size are you looking for ???
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 3:22 am

Any idea what size, type and age you require?
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 4:11 am

to the forum,the search begins then.

mike
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 8:23 am

Hi Bryan and welcome to the Dandy Campers ...... good luck with your search

If you need to know anything about Dandy's there are plenty of knowledgeable people here willing to help out

navver

Post by navver on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

Welcome Brian. This thread gives some useful info on the different types.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 3:45 pm

thanks for the welcome Smile
think me an the missus are looking for a 4/5 berth camper, they are a great size and dont go over my towing limit!!!
problem is being in scotland that there are very few actually for sale, people just are not selling them Very Happy

navver

Post by navver on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 4:42 pm

So it sounds like a designer, discovery or delta in Scotland. I had to travel from Bristol up to Riva at Wigan for mine nearly 180miles each way.

I have a designer for the 2 of us plus little dog. It is lovely with the table, but the discovery has a little motre daytime storage under the big bench settee.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

I think only the Destiny high side would go over your towing limit - unless it's engine size and hills your on about, older 6's are great for room. Like navver I also have a designer and love it Very Happy
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

not so worried about my towing limit as much - its more down to my licence so can only tow 750kg loaded - one of the reasons we are staying away from caravans :Dalong with many other reasons lol, we are meant to be going to look at one next week, called the lady today and so pleased to find that she still has it, we did look at one last night from ebay but there seemed to be a couple of problems (rust ect) and the seller admited that when they bought it they did so blind aand ended up with a world of trouble so not so hot on that one

was going to post a link but site wont let me (new member!!)

olso thought about going to Riva but looking at 285 miles each way so trying for something closer to home first!!!
Very Happy
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 5:35 pm

discobryan wrote:thanks for the welcome Smile
think me an the missus are looking for a 4/5 berth camper, they are a great size and dont go over my towing limit!!!
problem is being in scotland that there are very few actually for sale, people just are not selling them Very Happy

Similar thoughts to Helen. None of the Dandys go over your towing limit per se. Even if you have a post 1997 licence. If you have a pre 1997 license no problem at all.

I'm guessing with your name that you have a Land Rover Discovery. On a post 97 license then the Highside Destinys which are 1,000Kg maximum weight will take you over 3,500Kg so are verboten but the early lowside Destinys or 6's are 750Kg so you can go to 4,250Kg train weight.

If you know exactly what the law is don't bother reading but there is a lot of rot said on websites. This was my go at putting the record straight so it's not a five minute read. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just seen your last post there is not a blanket over 750Kg ban on post 1997 licences it just brings more factors into play.
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

hi tow itch, no used discobryan purley as i do mobile discos, actually drive a vectra :O lol
yes the laws are really can be quite confusing took a lot of reaserch to discover that as i have the "newer" licence and therefore NOT the trailer addition, that i CAN tow up to 750kg without too many problems, which is brilliant as i can only afford one car that all my disco gear can be moved about in a box trailer without destroying the car Very Happy
but genrally so far i have not really seen many dandys over 500kg loaded weight so its all good Very Happy

As an add on to my last post the one we are going to see is on gumtree and is a blue/white delta, with insulation, and all teh usuals glass windows hobs ect for £750 in west lothian
looks good in the pictures but will let you all know what it is like in person Very Happy

(again sorry but cannot post links lol)
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

It's not like me to be succinct but look on page 5 and the description of a car B. You would be towing on B  NOT the B+E which you don't have  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So over 750Kg then the maximum permissible weight of trailer (not the weight it is loaded to) cannot exceed the cars unladen weight. Not the kerbweight. Here Gov UK seem to think that unladen and kerbweight are the same things (egits) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 
Also the combined weight of the trailer an vehicle can't exceed 3,500Kg instead of 4,250Kg if you used a sub 750Kg trailer. So if you have the cash you can tow:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Disco gear in a box trailer??? Are you an old fashioned Vinyl DJ? Not many DJ's humping trailers now it's all digital not even on CDs. Speakers have shrunk too.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : UK Gov website wouldn't link with usual cut and paste)
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

lol gone to the digital as well, however prefer the old speakers ect as the are so much better than the mini things now, plus have a big table stand with an overhead light bar and heaps of lights lol, its quite a big thing plus hoping to get bass bins in the future so room to expand Very Happy, and as i say it is great as i dont have to get creative when imm packing away, it doesnt stay in the car and doesnt ruin the car either! its much better lol would post a pic but still a newbie lol Very Happy did u manage to get a look at the camper on gumtree?? looks to be in good nick lol

navver

Post by navver on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

You mean this one. It certainly looks very clean. That cushion on the bench seat is the material on the brand new ones. The legs look rust free which is always a good sign I think. Probably kept under cover.

navver

Post by navver on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

This lowside destiny is also in Scotland. It's a lot more roomy and very towable with a Vectra on your licence.

discobryan

Post by discobryan on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:46 pm

yes the first one is the one we were going to go look at the destiny is also very nice but only need a 4 berth lol Very Happy there is one on here that we have managed to arrange a time to go and see so will be heading up to dumfries & galloway on monday Very Happy (gumtree one never got back to us to arrange a veiwing), so hopefully we shall be towing that one away as it seems to be perfect and is in great condition Very Happy so will let u guys know if we take it away and hopefully get some shots up of it!! exited now haha would go tommorrow but work beckons Sad
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:57 pm

This one? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Points an questions I would pose: Not insulated, no heater, is there an awning?

The double beds are 2 metres long. One doubles as a settee. All upholstery is in good condition.

The storage cover "pad" an the hinge points for the bed are either recovered or it is a covering I don't think I've seen before. The bed and the settee don't match and the covering of these is not a standard Dandy fabric. Why? A damp episode? Two years ago you might have got that amount of money for this Dandy I think a buyer can do better now.

Look at what has sold on eBay this last week  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nice 5 insulated awning and heater for less than £500 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Designer insulated, awning and heater £850 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you fancy a trip to wales this has been up for ages. I would ask him does he have a different colour front and back wall and is his carpet really blue or did he use other peoples photos. Check that the walls are interested. If all is as said I'd offer £600 on the condition that it is A OK. That would pay for your fuel and contribute to a weekend aways fees to try out on the way back. No good if you don't like brown. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Why am I suddenly finding links won't cut and paste and I'm having to "link" them?

Last edited by Tow Itch on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Editing another link that didn't)
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

Hi and  discobryan

Sorry for the late welcome. Hope all goes well in your Dandy search, the right one will find you soon.Very Happy
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:14 pm

Yes we called them and asked a few questions however with me being new to the dandys i did not flag up as much as you did Smile
Apparently the previous owner got the benches ect re-covered, no there does not appear to be a heater, there is an awning but they were not forthcoming with WHAT awning.
also apparently there is a bit of damage to the left hand wall (looking in from the door) that isn not in the photo... it does beg the question what else are they hiding??
Would have thought as its being sold by a policeman there would be a little more honesty!!

However as i stated me and stacy are going to see the one in dumfries and galloway on monday, a dandy dart if memory serves,it was bought about 4 years ago from Riva and looks to be in superb condition

It is listed on the forum, but still cant post links! Very Happy:D

And thank you for the welcome phoniex - but apparently cannot see some images for some reason Very Happy
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:34 pm

discobryan wrote:

However as i stated me and stacy are going to see the one in dumfries and galloway on monday, a dandy dart if memory serves,it was bought about 4 years ago from Riva and looks to be in superb condition

And thank you for the welcome phoniex - but apparently cannot see some images for some reason Very Happy

Ah Ha Was beginning to think there might be a battle for that one lol! didn't realize that you and Stacy are a team.

We didn't put any images on.Exclamation
discobryan

Post by discobryan on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

na, we signed up at the same time, problems with both having computers lol, but she is quite shy not as much of a talker as me lol Very Happy chances are you will see mpre of me haha, i appreciate forums lol, the vectra forum helped me a lot when i had my first car - was what we call a bit of a pig-in-a-poke lol, fancy way of saying a banger lol Very Happy

probably just my comp playing up a bit there possible, hope not need it for work haha!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 27 May 2018, 8:31 am